Apparently the country's best beer is from New Jersey

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dennis3951, Jan 11, 2018.

1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (809) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

LuskusDelph likes this.
  2. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (316) Apr 29, 2012 California

When I lived in NJ a few years back, my wife and I stopped in there on our way down to H&H Seafood for “all you can eat” crabs.

They had only been up and running for a short time, so they were still getting some of their beers dialed in. Their hoppy stuff needed tweaking, but their other offerings were ahead of the curve for sure. Glad to hear they’re doing well and making great stuff!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  3. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (151) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

How can this be?? It's not even an IPA or barrel-aged stout.....

pro100, Leebo, SammyJaxxxx and 7 others like this.
  4. Duhast500

Duhast500 Meyvn (1,333) Nov 14, 2007 Rhode Island

A good sour can be very tasty. Too bad I'm not in NJ anytime soon.

5. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (464) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I don't think Beer Connoisseur magazine is the top beer magazine. I've never even heard of it.

I'm sure this beer is good, but best in the US? That's hard for anyone to really justify any single offering.

6. mkh012

mkh012 Devotee (488) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

I've never had Topsail but judging by Beer Advocate and Untappd ratings there are dozens of better beers in NJ alone. In fact, it isn't even on BA's Top Rated Beers: New Jersey list. Obviously this is subjective but meh.

5thOhio likes this.
  7. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,363) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

You should check it out.

SammyJaxxxx and LuskusDelph like this.
  8. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Devotee (483) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

Sorry but that list is absurd, nothing against Cape May - they make solid beers but best ? No - just ... no

5thOhio, Ryan4120, Lorianneb and 2 others like this.
  9. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (139) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Cape May Brewery has really been stepping up their quality, and whether this amount of hype is deserved or not, that should be celebrated. I love their beers to be honest, always remind me of summer. Will be picking up Topsail and reviewing it soon, look out for that. And if anyone wants to trade for some I can definitely get you a bottle.

Urk1127, sb17, LuskusDelph and 2 others like this.
  10. IPAExpert69

post this list for discussion's sake. I really have no idea where to find that hahaha.

11. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,749) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I can live with Cape May's Topsail as the best beer, why not? They make some great sour beers! I like those better than their hoppy beers, by the way

I do have to question Heavy Seas (Clipper City Brewing Co.) as the country's best brewery though. Where did they pull that one from? And I don't mean any disrespect to Heavy Seas in that, they make plenty of good beers that I like, but I'm sure that even they'd say there are better contenders for that title.

12. mkh012

spelingchampeon likes this.
  13. IPAExpert69

I've had a number of the Kane and Carton products on this list and I wholeheartedly think Cape May is a better brewery. Carton and Kane makes some great beers though.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  14. marquis

marquis Crusader (740) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

There is no such thing as "the best" beer although many brewers have claimed to brew it.

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,571) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Well, sour beers are part of the extreme genre of craft beer so...

Cheers!

SFACRKnight, cavedave, mkh012 and 3 others like this.
  16. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,261) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

Heavy Seas is the best brewery in the country? These lists come and go, a bunch of folks get their panties in a bunch over them, then the next list comes out rabble rabble... Most of them have some sense grounding - this one seems a bit out there IMHO. Don't know the brewer or the beer, so whatever a panel decides is what it is. Non-issue.

VABA, meefmoff, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  17. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (124) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

Using BA's top beers list to derive/qualify/disqualify a "best" is laughable. I love this community and use it all the time, but we are just about the farthest possible thing from being able to objectively rate styles, lol.

rypkr, sharpski, tzieser and 7 others like this.
  18. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,619) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Heavy Seas was my favorite brewery when I was getting into craft back when there were almost no other local breweries in my part of MD...but even I did a double-take when I got to that point in the article!

However, I did not try the Stone imperial brown ale collab which they rated the #3 beer overall. So...maybe if I had had that my whole opinion of Heavy Seas would be altered?

Edit: Just checked and I DID have that beer. Gave it a 3.96, so...solid but definitely not my favorite beer of all time.

19. IPAExpert69

Yeah literally 6 ratings with zero reviews. Hopeful I add a review to that this weekend.

20. mkh012

To each their own. I think Kane is the best brewery in NJ. What have you had from Kane?

I would say consensus can be useful, though. The beer has a 3.98 on Untappd with 574 ratings and a 4.04 on BA with an admittedly small sample size of 6 ratings. Neither of these metrics are the be all and end all, obviously, but for me personally they cause me to take the magazine's opinion with a grain of salt. As, perhaps, most opinions should be taken...

EDIT: Also, the beer is a Sour which is a popular "hype" style, so I don't think people are underrating it like they'd rate a Kolsch, for example.

21. scream

scream Zealot (531) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

The whole thought process is ridiculous. The best beer is the one that someone remembers most fondly and likely changes as time goes by.

Lahey, LuskusDelph, cavedave and 5 others like this.
  22. IPAExpert69

I've had:
    HEAD HIGH
    OVERHEAD
    Sneak Box American Pale Ale
    Sunday Brunch

And from one sour to another can have a WILD differences in taste and tartness. I think that makes it such a difficult style to grade, especially via GroupThink personally.

mkh012 likes this.
  23. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,244) Dec 25, 2003 California

$2 to read the list and Bourbon County Stout is #91.

As far as I had to read.

24. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (248) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

I spent some time in Cape May/Wildwood about 6 months ago and I thought the beer scene was lacking. It was like taking a time machine to 2009 beer wise. You could find some local stuff from Cape May Brewing and others but none that I had was very good. Hopefully things will be tastier this summer.

25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,571) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Did you get a chance to drink Carton beers during your visit?

Cheers!

26. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (85) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Trader

Saying best beer in the U.S. is like saying that we figured out green is the best color in the U.S. Just doesn't work

DISKORD, Lahey, LuskusDelph and 4 others like this.
  27. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (229) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I like Cape May brews and I can get them near me relatively fresh but they don't make anything mind blowing. That said everything is pretty solid and they have a huge presence in resturaunts around me so they are always a good menu option. Best beer in the United States? Not to me. I can think of at least 5 other jersey breweries I'd go to over them. Kane and Carton are still making the best well known beers in New Jersey. Still haven't had Magnify but I've been wanting to. Glasstown and Tonewood are up there but are very small production breweries that most people wouldn't know.

mkh012 likes this.
  28. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,229) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

Sorry but

LOLOLOKLLKLLLOLLLL

29. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,225) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

I've never had this beer to know whether I'd agree with that award, but I'm okay with Bell's Two Hearted actually holding that status of Best in America.

Lahey, cov87 and Prep8611 like this.
  30. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,632) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

A sour blonde ale is the best...that place must suck

31. rronin

rronin Initiate (175) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

This is just like when People Magazine names "The Most Beautiful Woman in the World" or "Sexiest Man Alive". It's 100% subjective and means absolutely nothing (except to Cape May Brewing).

32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,910) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

Us BAs use the word "best" all the time. :wink:

33. IPAExpert69

Hidden Sands Brewing is having it's grand opening this weekend, and should be really getting into gear by the summertime. Heard great things about the soft opening, and I'll attach the core beer lineup below. And go to Ludlam Island as well, they make some great beers!

http://hiddensands.com/inside-hidden-sands/announcing-hidden-sands-core-beer-lineup/

TongoRad likes this.
  34. IPAExpert69

Make great IPA's and Porters, and I'm sure they easily threaten the quality of South Carolina breweries. Not exactly a "Mecca" down there. Don't judge what you have not tasted, unless it's an anheuser-busch inbev product.

35. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Disciple (398) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

I have followed Tonewood's beginnings to this present time, and I have always enjoyed their brews! They do keep better and better, at least to my palate.

Of course, I have heard wonderful things about Kane, but I do not go to the shore or surrounding areas much, so getting a bottle has been a challenge. A couple months ago, I did see a Kane Brewing van riding in my town of Collingswood, and I do not know if that meant anything, but it was a surprise to see!

Prep8611 and Bitterbill like this.
  36. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Devotee (447) Nov 23, 2017 California

Bold claims by an article behind a paywall? I'll pass.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  37. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,385) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Best comment in thread.

38. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (464) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

"Sour Blonde" is kind of a wide-open descriptor. In the sour beer realm, a blonde sour could be just about anything with a light malt bill consisting mostly of (malted or unmalted) wheat and barley. This article doesn't even directly mention that it was barrel aged (in some type of barrels, not specified) or any other details about the beer. :/

A lot of Cantillon's world-class Guezes could be classified as "sour blonde ales" in that they are blonde in color and sour in nature.

cavedave and IPAExpert69 like this.
  39. IPAExpert69

To build on this point, Cape May makes tons of sours as well as Belgian influenced beers. One of their most popular offerings is Devil's Reach which is classified as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale and it is a fantastic beer. Breweries all have different strenghts, don't knock something because it isn't an ipa.

40. PuppyClawz

PuppyClawz Aspirant (219) Nov 22, 2014 Maryland

Heavy Seas...:joy::joy::joy: As someone who has lived in Baltimore for the last 8 years I almost fainted when I read they were best brewery. Who comes up with these lists?