1. We need your support. Become a Premium member now for as little as $1.99 a month. And, if you join this month you can help us beta test our new app!
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Arabicadabra: A New Bell's Coffee Milk Stout to Debut in October

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Keene, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (871) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

COMSTOCK, Mich. (June 21, 2017) - Bell's Brewery is proud to announce a new addition to its seasonal specialty lineup for release this fall. Arabicadabra, a coffee milk stout with an ABV of 5.5%, will debut on draught and in 12-ounce bottles, packaged in six-packs, this October.

“When we announced this year’s release calendar late last year, we knew there were a few more surprises to come. This is one of them,” said Bell's CEO Laura Bell.

“It’s really fun to see new favorites move to a wider audience. This is another example of how we continue to explore new ingredients and flavors. The spirit of innovation that set us on this path is still a huge part of who we are and we will continue to look for ways to showcase that innovation across our distribution area,” Bell said.

Brewed with 100% Arabica coffee beans roasted by Ferris Coffee in Grand Rapids, Michigan, this beer will stand in for Java Stout, another Bell's specialty coffee stout, for 2017.

“Java Stout will always have a special place in our portfolio and isn't being permanently retired. This year, we are changing things up a bit. Arabicadabra is a different take on a coffee stout and very similar to a local favorite that was released at our pub and at some events. It’s time to share it with an even larger audience,” she added.

Arabicadabra is brewed with a cold coffee extract made at the brewery using a combination of fair trade, organic Nicaraguan coffee beans and Sumatra coffee beans. Lactose is also used for creaminess (those with dairy allergies or sensitivities should take note). It was inspired by Milchkaffe, another specialty Bell's beer. That sweet, milk stout, was only available on draught and debuted in 2015.

Arabicadabra will ship to Bell's entire distribution footprint, including New Mexico which Bell's will begin distributing to in the fall. Additional details will be shared online at bellsbeer.com and on Bell's social media as they become available.

[​IMG]

About Bell's Brewery, Inc.
    Bell's Brewery, Inc. began in 1985 with a quest for better beer and a 15 gallon soup kettle. Since then, we've grown into a regional craft brewery that employs more than 500 people over a 31 state area, in addition to Puerto Rico and Washington DC. The dedication to brewing flavorful, unfiltered, quality craft beers that started in 1985 is still with us today. We currently brew over 20 beers for distribution as well as many other small batch beers that are served at our pub in Kalamazoo, the Eccentric Cafe. Our ongoing goal is to brew thoughtfully, creatively and artistically. 100% family-owned and independent, we strive to bring an authentic and pleasant experience to all of our customers through our unique ales and lagers. For more information, please visit bellsbeer.com.

You can also follow Bell’s on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Untappd.

2. zid

zid Savant (967) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Terrible name.

Glad to see them put a hold on Java Stout rather than Best Brown or some other beer... in order to keep the portfolio from coffee overload.

jmdrpi, apendecto and DISKORD like this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (686) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I really like Java stout but it's up to $60 a case here so I have not had it in a while,

This new one sounds nice but at what $.

Enjoy

DonObiWan likes this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,273) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

Sounds good, will have to try it. Any BA version?

5. Jlabs

Jlabs Savant (981) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

a low ABV mik stout..yes please!!

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  6. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (324) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Label is pretty cheesy too

jmdrpi, apendecto and DISKORD like this.
  7. Jmorey

Jmorey Aspirant (261) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I like the name. Fun to say out loud.

croush, meanmutt, zid and 1 other person like this.
  8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,483) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Who else is excited to try this one? Looks good.

9. El_Brujo_de_A2

El_Brujo_de_A2 Initiate (181) Nov 15, 2016 Michigan

If anything the person who did the coloring and photoshop effects on that line art should get a medal. Will have to try the beer out as I am a big fan of bell's.

10. BlakeAM

BlakeAM Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Illinois

I'll try this, but it will need to be damn good for me to get over the loss of Java Stout, no matter how temporary. Java Stout was close to FBS for fall coffee brews to me, even if it was less complex.

11. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (568) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Looking forward to this one. Milchkaffe was more to my tastes than Java Stout. Hopefully it's priced more in-line with their standard seasonals and year-round brews. The Java Stout has been massively overpriced for years.

Subcontrabass likes this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Happy to see this coming out soon, should be a good one. Oct is right around the corner now.

13. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,751) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Ahhh, good.

Aribica beans
    Cold brewed
    Milk Stout
    Lower ABV
    Vintage poster art.

What's not to like?

I've already made a note to find when it gets here.

Now if they'll bring back again this year the Oktoberfest in bottles.... :grin:

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  14. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,571) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

While I'm a Bell's fan and totally appreciate the inroads that they've created by brewing so many dark beers so many years ago... and I'll certainly try it... do we really need another coffee beer? At least it will replace Java Stout, at least temporarily.

And I find the name good, well at least fun, and the label fairly well done.

But I have to question everyone calling it a "lower ABV" beer... what were the original UK Milk Stouts at? And in general is a beer that's 5.5% ABV "lower" in alcohol? Budweiser's currently 5.0%, up from 4.8%.

jesskidden likes this.
  15. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,751) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes, "lower than what?" is a meaningful question.

While I have not got data on the ABV of the original milk stouts, but since the existing ABV range for both Milk Stouts and English Stouts is listed here as coming in between 4.0 and 7.0% I'd say 5.5% makes it a lower ABV beer in comparison to the higher ABV stouts in those categories.

In the context of UK session beers it is high ABV by comparison but in the context of higher ABV American beers, e.g., Imperial Stouts, it is definitely lower than such things as the typical RIS.

16. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Has anyone seen this out yet? Shows on their site its available but I have yet to see in stores? Just curious, thanks....

zid likes this.
  17. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (71) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

just seeing it show up in Michigan, though I didn't check the price

18. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

OK, thanks for info. With luck AZ will be getting some soon, curious the feedback on this beer, hopefully its good.

19. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (283) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

I did a search on TW. It shows in stock in Brookfield WI. $9.49/6 btls. 5.5% ABV. I'd better leave now if I want to get there before closing.

20. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

I checked on my total wine, nothing so far. I am thinking early next week for us. I am surprised there is so little chatter on this one, to me it sounds pretty good.

MJS08 likes this.
  21. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,517) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

It's made it to southern Indiana. I have one in the fridge for NBS. Pricing should be very reasonable. My local grocery had 6 packs on sale for $8.59.

VABA likes this.
  22. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Wow, 6 packs for under $9, that is outstanding.... I hope to see this soon, been waiting to try since this was posted originally, hope the reviews come back positive...

23. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (459) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I grabbed a 6 of this a few days ago. I think it was $10.99 for a 6er. It's fine. Me personally, if I were coffee stout shopping, would just put my $ towards more Founder's Breakfast Stout. And I'm a big fan of both breweries.

24. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

If you have not had the Firestone Mocha Merlin yet hit that up, its dam good.

Riff and flat_lander like this.
  25. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (459) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Grabbed a sixer of Arabicadabra at bottleBOX in Norfolk...

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  26. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    Sipping this now, was worth the wait, if you love coffee beers this is a home run.

jkblr, meanmutt and Squire like this.
  27. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,090) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Premium Trader

Bought a six pack of this yesterday. Drank one already and I'm happy to report that it's fantastic.
    [​IMG]

VABA and LongTaco15 like this.
  28. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,273) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

Will have to try it before it disappears

ShanePB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.