Are beer bars lacking in soul?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MatthewPlus, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (200) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

To the OP, Here in Orlando other than the beer bar with 500 bottles (Worl of Beer) there really isnt much for beer bars. The WOB near me has a really good beer buyer and he makes sure they do get limited kegs and does really good brewey nights. Also, all the bars should have access to the limited release beers. However, if you buy more from a distributer than an other bar you have a better chance of getting said limited beer.

Take CCB Life is Like, of the 5 Wobs in general Orlando only 2 got 1 case each. None of the beer bars downtown recieved any. And even a tiny little place called lil inides (my living room is bigger) got a case.

A few downtown, but they are just to hard to get parking for and if you live in the burbs its just not practical.

Redlight RedLight has lost its soul since it moved. Its just a hipster hang out now. with a samll way overpriced vintage "cooler".

But if I want to drink vintage beer I will drink from my cellar. I am not going to pay a higher price for some bar to just keep a case of tenFidy in the walk in for a year and want to charge me 3 times as much.

2. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Yadda yadda yadda. No, it was not there before Coors Field (opened in 1995), I believe Falling Rock dates to about 1998-9. It's a contrived venue in the tourist trap zone. LODO is just that, anyone telling you otherwise is either a tourist or a liar. I've family in Denver, been going there since the early 90's.

Bartenders who are rude as part of their job description? Wow, somebody must've have seen Coyote Ugly. A fine for asking what they determine is a stupid question??

Yes, of course they have a great tap list. But that wasn't the question, was it now?

3. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,008) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Tons of beer bars are lacking soul/atmosphere.

To me there are great bars/pubs that also serve good beer, and there are beer bars - not the same thing. Give me a nice pub, with a good vibe and 5-10 well thought out beers on tap, over a 150 tap beer bar any day.

4. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Three Floyds is lacking in soul, only because they sold theirs to the devil.

5. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (200) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Ok now I see your favorite place must be Rock Bottom!

6. anormal

anormal Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2007 Colorado

what do you mean by "contrived"? are you suggesting that some beers bars just appear spontaneously? does your conception of the contrived beer bar also apply to all the other places in downtown denver like freshcraft, star bar, and euclid hall? how about all the breweries in the area? are wynkoop, great divide, jagged mountain, and river north all "contrived venues"?

FrankenMiller likes this.
  7. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

I equate contrived with pretending to be something you are not, i.e. a faux-dive bar. Same as TGIF pretends to be a neighborhood tavern.

Unless you own it, or work there, I'm not sure why people get so butt-hurt when other's don't like an establishment. Just means more space/beer for you. Cheers!

Modernrickk and rozzom like this.
  8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,626) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Blackback Pub in Waterbury is one of my favorite bars. Very simple, homey and very comfortable, never been all that crowded when I've been there, just a nice comfortable place to have a quiet beer without a shit ton of noise, or juke box blasting or pushy people screaming over each other.

9. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

You know, unless you enjoy that sort of thing. Not everyone likes the exact same bar experience that you like. I have to say that I've had some fun times going out to watch a soccer/football/hockey game at the bar with some good friends.

Anyway, I understand the premise of this thread. There is a craft beer bar here with 100 taps, and while the selection is great, the atmosphere is a bit dull. On weekends it gets so crowded that you can't really hang out with your friends and actually have fun. I like it during off hours though, and they have some good food to go with the beer. That isn't to say that they don't care about what they're doing. They have several certified cicerone certified bartenders, so they do take it rather seriously.

BMitch, charlzm and HRamz3 like this.
  10. anormal

anormal Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2007 Colorado

falling rock actually is a neighborhood tavern to hundreds of people who live and work in that area. i enjoy the place, but i don't stop in as much as i used to. there are just so many places to go these days. i just find it interesting that you seem to be somehow challenging the authenticity of Denver's oldest beer bar, a place that is regularly featured on national best beer bar lists. you are free to not like the place, but i can't see why you would refer to them as a "contrived venue" located in a "tourist trap".

FrankenMiller likes this.
  11. fox227

fox227 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 California

Pizza Port Carlsbad! Love this place and I love the staff, beer, and food. There's a reason I've probably been there sixty times in the last four years.

charlzm likes this.
  12. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

Blue Palms, Tony's, Verdugo, 38 Degrees, Lucky Baldwin's (Sierra Madre and and original - don't like the one near the college as much), Naja's, Far Bar, Boneyard Bistro... lots of good ones I left off that list, but these are my favorites. I just avoid them during playoffs in any major sport and I'm gold!

13. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 California

good list. fan of the first 3. never been to 38 degrees

i'm partial to Mohawk Bend since it's my local

i love Tony's but only if you can get a place at the bar. it gets so crowed there and i can't stand having to wait a long time to get a beer. i'm old. standing hurts my bones

14. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

If I owned a craft brewery, I'd release a brown ale to help with this issue. It would be called "James", and just drinking it would make you feel good.

15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Yes, to each his own, and in various criteria too that we judge bars and restaurants. There are varying degrees of good and bad. I don't think Yardhouse is deservingly compared to some of the other Darden restaurants though. They didn't create that one, they bought it. And given that much of people's consumption with craft beer is really minimal food, or happy hour food, etc. then some of the other factors matter disproportionately more - like service. All of us can drink at home, probably drink more cheaply at home, so the experience of drinking out matters in a variety of other ways. I know I'm most annoyed when I constantly have an empty glass/mug, for example. And in my experience here and from frequent traveling is that it is more often than not the local places with the service problems, and much of this possibly due to the lack of server training and clear criteria for good service that the corporate places can do well. Exceptions exist, of course.

16. Cody

Cody Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Colorado

Well since the OP posted about a "beer bar in tampa with 500 bottles" and I work for the same company I guess I am the other side of the coin in this debate.

My opinion is this soul is what you make it. If you go somewhere where there is beer you like, an atmosphere you like, and people you get along with its perfect. Nothing more nothing less.

To some of the other posts I just wanted to clear a few things up.

Sometimes this isn't the bars fault. I know it sounds crazy but some pale ales are expensive from the brewery. I was offered a keg of an ESB that costs more the Russian River Supplication for the same size. That beer regardless of style is going to be ridiculously expensive.

Also you have to remember to look at places from others eyes. If you don't like TVs then don't watch them; others do. I actually enjoy watching football and searching for the next whale that has come in and I am happy some places can accommodate that. If I ever felt like not dealing with I could very easily sit somewhere that doesn't have one or turn my back. I think everyone is so "me first" that you don't understand that businesses need to have broad appeal.

Also for everyone who says that places cater too much to uneducated new drinkers thats a good thing. I know this is shocking but bars don't make shit off of Parabola or Bourbon County. Don't get me wrong there is money to be made but we make way more money off Odell 5 Barrel than either of those. So those people whom you loathe for being in your favorite spot are probably helping to keep the doors open.

Moral of the story is go where you like. If "Corporate" places are not your thing then don't go, if they are have a great time but there is always a little more than what is on the surface.

17. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

The "soul" of a bar is created by it's patrons, so I would have to say that is very dependent on the bar you're talking about.

These days in Boston, most bars have a decent craft selection, so I never go to the "beer bars". Bars in Boston are pricey enough without giving them an excuse to gouge. So I guess my answer is in Boston it's not hard to find a bar with soul that serves great beer.

18. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

Fortunately the tap list at "dives" in boston is 90% craft and they mostly have a lot of taps.

19. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (426) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Yes and no. There is a place I lived around the corner from, and used to go into all the time (the main reason I miss that apartment) but I would go in solo. Occasionally I would strike up a conversation with the person next to me, but more often I would sit, have a couple beers and some dinner and watch the game. Is that so bad? There was plenty going on around me, people talking and socializing, but I didn;t have anyone to socialize with. Does that mean I shouldn;t have been there?

To the OP: "soul" is a totally subjective term, and all the posts here illustrate that. To me, "soul" in a place, be it beer bar, restaurant or anything is something that is earned and developed over time. One can not open a place and it immediately has "soul" or doesn't, and is stuck with that for the rest of it's existence. It is something that develops with the customers that come in, especially those that become regulars, the interactions with the staff and customers and how the place develops it's own personality over time. It develops with each scratch and nick on the bar, tables and floor, it's something like a patina on an old piece of metal.
    I have been to places that have been around for ages that have no soul, I've been to those old places that have earned it. I;ve been to new places that have the potential, but don't have it yet, and new ones that will never develop it.
    In Boston, the old Cornwall's had it. The new location, though it's been there for 10+ years at this point doesn't have it, and IMO will never earn it.

20. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (276) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Maybe have a dress code no jeans so respect for the beer comes into play and less likely the average Joe wouldn't be their and the selection would be tasteful. Snobbish I know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.