Are beer prices increasing?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chuckstout, Feb 13, 2022.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (453) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not in this part of the country, they have been increasing pretty regularly every few years.

steveh and JackHorzempa like this.
  2. backwash

backwash Initiate (30) May 26, 2021

I'm fine with the rising costs. I'll just drink less. Will spend the same on beer. Oh knows I lost weight?!

3. honkey

honkey Disciple (349) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

Which one(s) are priced that low? Is it every DIPA they produce? Is it a regular release or a one-off, or a seasonal or semi-regular release that is not always in stock?

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Wow. My one favorite local sells their 4-packs of cans for $11 -- same as they're priced at retailers.

Sounds like your place jumped the inflation curve early. :grin:

They aren't owned by 3 Floyd's, are they? :wink:

5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

This is Double Broken Heels. I have seen Broken Heels for $2.29 for a 19.2 oz can. They are both in their regular lineup.

As far as their other beers, the only ones I have seen crack over $15 a 4 pack have been the Triple IPAs and Double IPAs with fruit or other things added to them. I’m assuming their BA beers are as well, but can’t confirm that unfortunately.

Their new releases including IPAs and other typical styles go for $12-13 a 4 pack and their Double IPAs go for $14 a 4 pack.

6. ESHBG

Without knowing all of the details of course they could be breaking even or taking a slight loss because they figure price this right, new buyer purchases, likes it enough to explore and buy their other beers. Now factor in what their margins may be on the other products and this 19.2 oz is a wash that they aren't really concerned with.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,050) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Thats not the price elsewhere. Are you near the brewery? That’s cheaper than single broken heels here, $22+ a 12 pack.

Enjoy

8. BeastOfTheNortheast

I’m in rural PA 2 hours from Williamsport. Others have mentioned this same price on FB. Also, I have seen it at $2.50 in State College.

9. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,050) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Another reason I live in the wrong location. Nothing is priced well here.

Enjoy

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Weedy, below is from the latest Mitch Steel blog:

“Container ships are piling up at ports without space to unload them, there aren’t enough containers available to meet shipping demand. This has impacted malt shipments from Europe pretty substantially for the many brewers that use German, English and Belgian malts in their beers. There aren’t drivers available to handle all the truck shipping that is being requested (I heard at one point that right now there is 1 driver for every 15 requested loads).”

https://newrealmbrewing.com/hoptripper/supply-chain-woes/

Have you experienced delays in obtaining the imported malts that you brew with?

Cheers!

BuffaloBill12 and ChicagoJ like this.
  11. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,929) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I would consider that really cheap if I could get anything for that price. Especially from a local.

steveh and Rug like this.
  12. steveh

Society

Is your place in some hoity-toity neighborhood? I've seen that push prices at many spots.

BigIronH likes this.
  13. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,929) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

That’s pretty much average pricing for the Detroit or Grand Rapids metro area especially for the sought after breweries. You might get something for 14-16 occasionally. A couple of older breweries that have been in business for a long time do stuff a little bit cheaper.

steveh likes this.
  14. steveh

Society

Must be because you're in the East Coat time zone. :wink:

BigIronH likes this.
  15. BeastOfTheNortheast

Nothing is priced well here either besides New Trail. They are pretty consistent as far as pricing goes between Harrisburg, State College, and Wilkes-Barre.

16. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,943) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

Remember when Sculpin was a great beer, but a $15 6er - yikes!

Now a $15 4 pack is very reasonable price.

JohnnyHopps and Harrison8 like this.
  17. Leighton_

Leighton_ Initiate (45) Jan 31, 2021 Minnesota
    Trader

Yup, prices went up across the board for almost every brand I carry and it translates to a $1-$2 increase on just about everything.

18. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,400) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

$2 increase a 6-pack across the board.

19. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Will be interesting to see how the price increases shake up the market. Will we see a shift away from the more expensive hoppy NEIPAs and barrel aged products to more cost effective products? Will people gravitate towards back to large macro craft that can compete better on pricing than smaller local breweries?

20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Are "expensive hoppy NEIPAs and barrel aged products" really the dominant share of the craft beer market or simply the most discussed beers on BA? According to Brewers Association stats for 2020 (2021 figures yet to come) 66% of craft beer is still from "regional" brewers (15k bbl/yr and up) which account for only about 2.5% of all US breweries. Throw in the "captured" ex-craft breweries' barrelage of 8 million, compared to the 26 million for craft breweries, and there's a whole lot of "macro craft" and "traditional" craft beer styles still being sold.

ChicagoJ and Amendm like this.
  21. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,120) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

22. micada

micada Meyvn (1,445) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Voodoo has a limited box set of 5 beers and a glass for $250…and I’m thinking about entering the lottery.

23. JackHorzempa

Society

From the above linked article (with emphasis in bold by me):

“Pease says his association is working on building solutions for smaller brewers where federal enforcement is lacking.

“What has been a consistent pattern over the past 12 to 24 months is wholesaler consolidation, where there are fewer and fewer beer distributors, which inhibits small brewers’ ability to go to market," he said. “What we’re doing now is pushing for direct to consumer shipping.”

Now, how the heck is “direct to consumer shipping” going to improve (decrease) beer costs overall?

I am somewhat fortunate that I live in PA where I am permitted to order beer from out of state craft breweries but I have yet to do so since I personally refuse to pay the cost of shipping those beers. The prices that breweries charge to ship their beers would result in those beers being quite expensive.

I personally purchase my beers either at local beer retailers (e.g., local supermarkets, retail beer distributors) or directly from the breweries’ taprooms.

In my opinion, what Bob Pease (Brewers Association) is “pushing” for is not what I consider to be consumer friendly from a cost perspective. Hopefully he has better ideas here that he can push instead.

Cheers!

@JuliaLauren

Kman_Colorado, Elfastball7 and Amendm like this.
  24. memory

memory Aspirant (231) Oct 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Well a chocolate bar I like recently kept the price the same but got smaller.
    I guess little glasses of DIPA may get more push.

25. ESHBG

If you can order beer from anyone and have it shipped directly to you that could theoretically lower prices due to increased competition amongst breweries. That would take a while to see, though, and would not work right now with the higher cost of ingredients.

26. JackHorzempa

Society

I potentially could envision that being the case if craft beer consumers were price sensitive shoppers. It appears to me, based upon my readings, that many (most?) BA craft beer consumers are less sensitive to price than I am as a craft beer consumer. For those craft beer consumers there does not seem to be much incentive for craft beer consumers to lower prices.

Cheers!

P.S. I am fortunate that in SEPA there are plenty of high quality beers available at reasonable (e.g., less than $14/16 for a four-pack/16 ounce cans) prices so I choose to not pay a lot for beer.

27. ESHBG

I agree with this because to me it's like any other hobby where the better the product, the more expensive the item will be, and folks are looking for a quality product. But just like anything if some breweries start to make a quality product for cheaper and more people buy from that brewery, others will need to follow suit.

Agreed. Our prices can suck but the flip side is we do have a lot of great options, especially locally.

Rug likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

My most recent purchase was a six-pack/12 ounce cans of Sly Fox Reality Czech for $9.50 (at the Phoenixville Brewpub). I discussed this beer earlier on NBW today (as you are aware).

Cheers!

ESHBG likes this.
  29. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,591) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

30. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Devotee (436) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I remember 99 cent six packs. Prices have continually gone up since then. That must have been a long time ago, in typing this I realized that there is no cent character on my keyboard. My manual typewriter probably had one.

Kman_Colorado likes this.
  31. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (169) Dec 25, 2015 New York

32. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,935) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Beer prices are going up, but am I also getting a raise to match?

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  33. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Haha, that’s not how this works. We’ll just continue with the erosion of the US school system to the point that no one cares when child labor laws are dropped so our kids can help. Easy way to fill all those labor shortages.

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It is if your union and employer have a contract that includes cost of living raises, or your employer has such a program or if you collect Social Security.

35. BuffaloBill12

BuffaloBill12 Initiate (155) Oct 21, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

JackHorzempa likes this.