Are bombers way overpriced? Just doesnt add up!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by coldy, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

Duh. They use more glass.

utopiajane likes this.
  2. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (418) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Price (fact that 6packs are cheaper) and convenience (don't always want to drink a lot of same beer or be able to bring and share with friends) both do matter to me a lot of the time so I try to avoid bombers unless there is something special I want and that is only way to get it. For SUCKS for example, I would prefer 6pack then 32oz

Overall the market in long term will decide where breweries go with their packaging. I really like the trend towards some good beers in cans. Lighter to carry and keep cold in summer

3. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

YOu gonna taste that beer or are you gonna drink it? If you're gonna drink it you're gonna want a sixpack. Where's that mouse he needs a cookie!

4. sparx1100

sparx1100 Zealot (562) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

I have noticed that breweries are moving away from six packs and are releasing more of there beers in 4 packs and bombers which in my opinion is just unfair to the average buyer . Plus I have noticed the price on craft beers is increasing almost every time i go to the liquor store

5. readyski

readyski Aspirant (249) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

perhaps our beer drinking habits have evolved
    we can only have a glass of each and then move on to the next one :sunglasses:

6. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

It's not exactly a convenience fee- each franchised 7-11 is purchasing much less gum than non-franchised Costco. So even if 7-11 sends a whole pallet, they're still paying more per pack than Costco, who is purchasing 5,000 pallets.

Same thing happens with beer. Bev-mo might order 1,000 cases of Enjoy By, so they'll be able to charge a lower price than your local liquor store. But Costco is buying 10,000 cases, so they're price will be dramatically lower.

But even that doesn't explain why Lagunitas is charging more for their 32oz bottles of the SAME BEER that is being sold (side-by-side during some times of the year) in 6-packs. My only thought is that they brew larger batches for the 6-packs, thereby making the beer cheaper to produce during those times of the year. Maybe the 32oz batches (which are brewed to satisfy demand during the "off"season for Sucks) are smaller, ultimately costing the brewery more to make.

7. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Central Waters took Illumination from 4-to-6-packs. :slight_smile:

I don't mind the breweries that deliver bomber-only beers and keep their prices fair. Black Husky does this- $5.99 for a bomber of Pale Ale is a value, in my book. Especially considering it's hand-bottled.

8. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

Apparently you do not understand how the internet works. Take your logical argument and find you way to the nearest exit.

9. steelersfan6669

steelersfan6669 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2014 Florida

we get fbs for 9.99 a 4pk and lagunitas hop stooped for 4.99 a bomber.
    its about where you purchase it.
    total wine is a cool business , they are very fair.

10. steelersfan6669

shits like 4 bux here

11. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

I am not sure you are paying $4.00 for 22oz of rum barrel aged beer.

12. steelersfan6669

pretty sure ALL of clown shoes brews are between 3.99-4.99
    for bombers.

13. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (491) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Not the aged ones, bro.

14. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

If a bomber is under 5 bucks I don't mind, I have trouble paying for one that is over that. 8-10 buck bombers in my opinion are way too expensive.

15. ToriBug13

ToriBug13 Initiate (0) May 10, 2013 California

Some are. Some aren't. I will say this: at the very least, for IPAs and all the hoppier versions of other brews, hop prices are up 30% from last year. I'm going to say that it's getting passed on to the consumer. Then you have the special releases. People like Stone, Firestone Walker, etc. have put "special" on the map. Gimmicky words like "barrel aged" and "imperial" have also helped marketing teams raise the value of the product, which again gets passed on to the consumer. I guess what it comes down to is market value. If you're willing to pay x amount for what you want, is the price really too high?

16. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (856) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

I rarely buy six-packs.

Why?

I only drink one or two beers on nights when I drink. So a bomber is the perfect size for me.

One and I’m done.

In addition, I like variety. So after I have had a given beer, I don’t want to revisit it for a while. If I buy a six pack, I drink one or two and the remaining four or five sit for a weeks, sometimes months, before I get back to them.

Bombers just work better for me.

Donco likes this.
  17. LankFreudRyte

LankFreudRyte Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2008 Illinois

To all:

Please buy bombers by the case, from the brewery, save some money. Beer Nerds Unite. Or, Advocate.

18. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,363) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

The worst part about buying a case of bombers is that you pay more money and end up with less than a case of beer. 288oz for 12 oz bottles or 264 oz for 22 oz bombers. And you pay more.

19. Preluderl

Preluderl Devotee (493) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I sure am drinking an over priced bomber right now. $30 I paid for GI Halia. I am disappoint.

20. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (194) Apr 12, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I hear that. Shamefully, I paid the same for a Parabola bomber tonight. It was at a bar, and they charged way too much. Nonetheless, I've never had it/had any other opportunity to buy it...I bit the bullet and did it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it though.

My real beef (if you can call it that, as I really enjoy their beers) is with what Prairie charges for their 12 oz. offerings. THAT's a real crime. Oh well, I still buy them...so I guess I'm part of the problem!

21. Preluderl

Preluderl Devotee (493) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You won't be disappointed with Parabola, even at that price.

Donco and M-14 like this.
  22. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (331) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

The larger the bottle, the less value it seems, but one would hope that in most cases you are paying for a more premium product with a more specialized brewing process; though I don't rule out the possibility that some breweries think they can get away with charging $9 for a bomber just because they know consumers will pay for it. I think most businesses are honest though and it has something to do with the brewing process, and the fact that it probably doesn't have as high a rate of consumption and is made in smaller batches than say, a brewer's flagship IPA.

Personally I don't consider myself their demographic, and I don't buy 'em very often.

23. Bogforce

Bogforce Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

I know the answer to this question. But there happens to be a lot of answers.

Small breweries usually start bottling in bombers because it is way more cost effective. Putting more beer in one bottle with one label and not having to use a cardboard carrier.

So what does this mean when the big breweries do it? They are making a larger profit for a bomber than they are for a 6 pack. Stone for example charges 6+ dollars for a bomber and only 10+ dollars for a 6/4 pack of the same beer. They are making more money on the bomber. More power to them.

Some breweries, as stated earlier, only do certain beers in bombers therefore you have to purchase them that way. No science to that besides that it will help spread the beer out and leave more to go around.

So in the end it's up to the buyer on what you want to do. You can choose to overpay or buy six packs.

I rarely buy bombers do to their hike in price. Give me a single 12oz or a 6 pack any day

24. Donco

Donco Devotee (454) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Seriously?! The barrel aged ones go for $16-$19 around here.

25. Donco

Donco Devotee (454) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Wow....definitely in the wrong part of the country for me. Most good 22oz. beers in PA are well over $10 minimum.

26. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,526) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I think it all depends on the area you are in.
    Im lucky up here in Oregon we rarely see bombers ( unless they are special releases) at thatprice.
    In fact I could swear that Rogue bombers outside the fancy cr*p bottles are going down.
    I see regular Rogue up here at $5.99 now.'
    Most other companies are less. Deschutes around $3.99 ( not the specials), Full Sail around $3.59
    Lagunitas around $3.79
    etc etc

chimneyjim likes this.
  27. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Disciple (304) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Ok, here's some more reasoning for you guys to wrap your head around since I'm thinking about the topic again:

I wouldn't call bombers overpriced, more like monetarily under-valued. Fact: the price per ounce is typically higher, and sometimes MUCH higher than sixers and greater; however, if they were THAT overpriced, no one would buy them and they wouldn't survive in the marketplace, period. I believe it's a matter of value beyond money.

Here's just one of the many examples that illustrates the decision to purchase transcends money. My brother is a craft fan, but he almost always buys 22oz bombers one at a time when he wants a beer... but dear God WHY??? He tells me he just likes the package size, likes the thought of having one and being done, and he doesn't like storing beer. On a personal level I'm too frugal for it and see them as a ripoff, but I can see where he's coming from. We just have different values.

#267 Redneckwine, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  28. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,459) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin

As long as the same beer drinkers continue to perceive Hop Stoopid as a bargain ($5 for 22 ounces) and Sculpin as overpriced ($15 for 72 ounces), don't expect the trend of pricier large bottles to become better priced.

zstef99 and westlaunboy like this.
  29. makeminerandom

makeminerandom Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Value is a funny concept to be hung up on in a hobby where people will pay exorbitant prices for a beer just because it is 'rare'. The simple truth is that even if bomber cost more per ounce, the breweries (at least the ones with some business savvy) know that people will buy them if it's the only way to get a certain beer.

Don't believe me-- imagine if tomorrow, it was announced that Dark Lord would be released nationwide in bombers at a price of $50 per bomber. While I know a lot of folks would freak out and condemn them as money-grabbing whores, I also know that there would be lines out the door and bombers flying off the shelves in a lot of locations.

30. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

I'm not a MN guy so I may be wrong but aren't most NG beers in 4 pack or bomber formats…? :slight_smile:

31. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

Get your supply and demand out of here.

32. nathanho

nathanho Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2005 Washington

I think most will agree that Stone IPA is a good benchmark for quality/value, in general. Accepting this fact, I submit Total Wine in Bellevue, WA has Stone IPA 6-packs for $7.99 - 11.1 cents per ounce. The bomber equivalent is $2.44 per 22 oz. bottle. Think about that. When's the last time you've seen even a $3.99 Stone IPA bomber? Case closed.

I could easily find many more 6-pk v bomber price jaw droppers, but this one suffices for me.

33. readyski

readyski Aspirant (249) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Welcome to the beer revolution
    Don't fret, not all is lost :stuck_out_tongue:
    See what I did there

#273 readyski, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  34. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (438) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

TWO THINGS THAT YOU NEVER ! NEVER FUCKING SKIMP ON! GOOD BEER AND GOOD FOOD!!!!SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

HRamz3, makeminerandom and Boca-X like this.
  35. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (5,007) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

If more places sold single 12s, bomber sales would drop...but then we'd be bitchin about the overcharge for breaking a six.

36. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Here we go again! :wink::stuck_out_tongue::grinning:

FoamInnovation likes this.
  37. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

Why does this dollars per ounce comparison/complaint keep coming up? Six packs are not created for the same reason as bombers. Bombers were never and will never be placed on the shelf for consumers that are purchasing their beer at the lowest $/oz. ratio. It isn't why they exist. Bombers exist to fill a different need/desire by consumers. It is not a "scam" by the retailer or distributor or the evil corporation brewers.

Why do bars/restaurants purchase predominantly 1 liter bottles, when they are virtually always more expensive per ounce of liquor? Because the beverage planners or owners can easily sub-divide 1000ml into a total number of drinks to track usage, waste and predict expenses. It is a formula that can then be easily be taught to staff. So they pay a little more for cost avoidance later. The point? Liters serve a different purpose.

If you must bring your calculator to the beer store, simply avoid bombers all together.

drtth likes this.
  38. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

There's more insane markup at the keg level. Some breweries price themselves right out of the market because there's just no profit margin for a bar/restaurant to serve their beer. $200+ for a sixtel of hoppin' frog anything is just insane.

39. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I find that I buy a lot of bombers and 750s, because that's what the stores carry. I am speculating, but it seems that it is the retailers who like bombers. They want to carry a wider variety of beers and don't have the shelf and back room storage for the 12 oz bottles. The volume sales craft beers, Sierra, Sam and probably whatever is a local favorite, will always be in six packs, twelve packs and cases.

That said, I would always pick a four pack over a bomber/750. Even better, for new beers I want to taste, a local shop will let you pull singles from six and four packs anytime and charge the regular price per bottle. That's a nice benefit.

40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Not a scam at all, and IMO an excellent way to try something new without dropping $12 on a sixer of beer I might not like. For a first like look/taste it makes perfect sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.