Are there any American organic breweries left?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Claude-Irishman, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Aspirant (298) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Used to be a fan of Wolavers in Vermont, but they went out of business.Samuel Smith's from England is the only one I see.

2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (242) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

donspublic likes this.
  3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (826) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

There are a lot of them Google it

eppCOS, mkh012, LuskusDelph and 2 others like this.
  4. Claude-Irishman

That is ingenious,did you think of that by yourself?

thesherrybomber likes this.
  5. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (68) Jun 21, 2014 California

Peak Organic is still going, no?

MrRB, DrewSnyc667 and cavedave like this.
  6. Jpliler

Jpliler Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2018 Louisiana

Eel River Brewing

Hoppedelic and tone77 like this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,451) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

jlharman likes this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,041) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

You could have too before starting a new thread...

9. drinkin-beeers

drinkin-beeers Disciple (351) Jan 29, 2014 Montana

Wildwood brewing in Stevensville Montana

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (826) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

No my mother hei
    lol that was my point!

11. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,242) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

C'mon guys, let the man live. Of course Google is a great source for finding out information. But only after the company one surrounds himself with is not in the know. Maybe he just wanted to have a conversation rather than bowing down at the alter of Google ? We all Google but don't we also enjoy conversation as well ? Seems to be an honest reason to start a new thread.

12. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (584) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Old Bakery Beer in Alton, IL

flat_lander likes this.
  13. Claude-Irishman

Goblin hit it on the head. Of course I could Google, but some lesser known Brewers might not show up on the radar, in addition there is a wealth of beer knowledge within this site. I have had better luck with BA regarding beer than Google. Also if everyone just Googles it would a pretty miserable world. The only thread that would be OK, is "what beer are you drinking now?"

rgordon, DJturnstile and GOBLIN like this.
  14. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (155) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Sometimes its the way you ask a question as well. Its one thing to say "I've googled a bunch of organic breweries but are there any that you recommend?". Your question sounds like you haven't even tried to research this. I think we all enjoy helping each other on here to find what we need but we also don't want to be used like we are a google bot.

JackHorzempa and drtth like this.
  15. Peter_Wolfe

Peter_Wolfe Initiate (88) Jul 5, 2013 Oregon

Organic adds a ton of cost and no real value to beer. I say no real value because of course there's still a perceived value on the part of the customer choosing it.

Organic hops are absolutely miserable to grow. The only people I know doing with yields that break even are doing it near regular fields so the disease pressure never grows too large. The pesticides used on hops are mainly miticides and fungicides with really short half lives, they're sprayed in July, and they're long gone come harvest. The impact on the surrounding ecosystem is pretty low. You can still use a natural pest control agent (ladybugs are quite popular and effective) alongside your spraying regimen.

Organic barley is much easier, but again, there's pretty much no reason to do it. The weather is a larger threat than pests, usually, and the pesticides used are mild.

Even if the above wasn't the case, the brewing process itself is remarkable at cleaning up anything untoward that remains. Yeast vacuum up anything and everything (heavy metals, etc) and sequester it. The only negative thing that really makes it through intact are nitrates/nitrites, but those are naturally produced in plants and they're present in organic beer as well. The nitrate level is far below what you'd get in a hot dog or lunch meat, so it's not really a problem either, but it's worth mentioning.

All of this is to say that I, as someone who enjoys beer frequently and also thinks organic farming can be a really good thing in the right context, do not believe it makes any sense for beer ingredients. If you feel differently and want to pay a premium, well, cheers I guess!

PaulQuinn, MrRB, FonyBones and 11 others like this.
  16. beertunes

Trader

I don't see organic beers costing any more than non-organic around here. There is one all-organic brewery in my town (Aslan, linked upthread), and some of the other breweries will do the occasional one-off. None of them cost more than the counterparts.

17. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,429) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

One would suspect by that remark you already had exhausted the ten pages of results my google search for "organic beer" produced. Not sure how much more info than that we are supposed to have for you? Or am I not getting the point of your reply?

18. TheUnfilteredGentlemen

TheUnfilteredGentlemen Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 California

Leashless Brewing in Ventura, CA Is all organic.

19. Peter_Wolfe

Really? Organic hops are like triple the cost of standard hops. Kudos to them if they can keep the cost to their customers the same as other breweries. That's pretty impressive.

20. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,548) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

I didn't do any actual research to see if they are really organic, but I assume Peak Organic Brewing Co. out of ME is organic. They make some great brews and are very affordable.

21. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (329) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I think that only the Eel River beers that are labled organic are organic. So their blonde, porter, IPA, and acai berry wheat are definitely organic, and I think their seasonal DIPA. They don't label the rest of them as organic and none of the other packaging has the USDA sticker on it. Not 100% on this, but I should ask next time i'm in there.

Jpliler likes this.
  22. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (812) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but when I read the title of this thread all that I could think was, "Who cares?".

23. honkey

honkey Zealot (539) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium

Really? When Tombstone first strted and we didn’t have hop contracts in place I was having to buy spot Simcoe and the only place I could find it was selling organic only and it was actually a few dollars less per pound than what I pay now. I think I was paying $12 per pound. I wasn’t a big fan of that Simcoe and when I found a more reliable source I switched and pay a little bit more for them now.

24. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,651) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

There was one a few years ago from Washington state...Fish something, or something Fish, I remember not caring much for them

25. beertunes

Trader

Fish is still active, but I'm not sure they're 100% organic. They've long had a line of barrel aged big beers that are quite good, but their regular line-up is averageish. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/684/

TonyLema1 likes this.
  26. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (329) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I tend to agree. Alcohol is basically low grade poison, who cares if it's organic?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  27. stevepat

Trader

one fear is that the brewing process could inadvertently concentrate some of the toxins that are contained in the vast majority of inorganic produce. Plus lots of people who are into organic farming are more concerned about the damage inorganic production does to the environment.

Lahey, beertunes and benzodrums like this.
  28. cavedave

Trader

I know of a large, recognizable name in organic foods who took over a bankrupt apple farm here a few years ago to grow squash and tomatoes, and removed ZERO dirt before planting. I paid attention because I passed it every day on way to work when they took over, and it was the talk of the town. I just assume all organic farming by big companies is similarly "suspect" and agree with those who don't care.

Lahey likes this.
  29. stevepat

Trader

super fair concern. but you can rest assured that the inorganic farmers are not only not removing contaminated soil but they are also continuing to contaminate the soil. that is the difference

30. Beervana

Beervana Zealot (581) Apr 15, 2014 British Columbia (Canada)

Hopworks out of Portland are all organic as far as I remember

31. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (2,756) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I miss Summit's Hopvale Organic Ale. It was a 4.7% APA and was very tasty. They discontinued it a little more than a year ago.

32. cavedave

Trader

AFAIK this is true. I assume there are comprehensive industry inspections to make sure organic farmers are organic in all other ways? I am suspicious just because I am that guy assumes one lie means many lies.

We will never know what exact poisons (name withheld) Orchards put into the environment before they went bankrupt. How many similar scams are being sold as organic we will never know either. I wouldn't doubt it is equally true for the "organic" grain in beer. I will stick with "regular" beer, even though your logic about relative danger makes sense.

33. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (111) Feb 13, 2018 New York

If you're drinking organic beer and consuming non-organic foods, then you might be silly. Or, perhaps its the case you are drinking organic beer (such as Peak) because you just like the beer. In which case, you are not silly, unless you are otherwise silly.

Lahey likes this.
  34. Claude-Irishman

Jesus cares

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  35. Peter_Wolfe

Do you recall who grew that Simcoe?

36. honkey

honkey Zealot (539) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium

Michigan Hop Alliance

37. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (329) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

If you can afford organic food and good beer, then you're a big baller in my book. I make ok money, but not whole foods money.

38. Jaguar10301

Jaguar10301 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Maine

I was going to say that, being from Maine I know of them, but rarely have had one of their offerings. They still exist though. Also everyones definition of Organic seems to be different at times too.

39. Mindflow

Mindflow Initiate (93) Jul 9, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Freehouse in Charleston, SC throws around the organic label quite often. Wasn't really a fan of their offerings but you can go decide for yourself.

40. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (203) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

Peak Organic...love their "super fresh", "the juice", "ripe", "fresh cut" and "happy hour"