Are there any sour or barrel aged breweries in Arizona?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Curb71, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

I'll be heading from North Los Angeles to Tuscon tomorrow for the day and was wondering if there are any breweries that have a sour and/or barrel aged program. Also are there any bottle shops or bars that might have something of the like that doesn't already sit on a shelf in LA County? So far it looks like Arizona Wilderness Brewing is a must stop for me. Hoping there some other spots! Cheers!

#1 Curb71, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. GoPokes

GoPokes Initiate (80) Nov 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I don't know too much about the area, but I stopped at Dragoon Brewing in Tucson a few weeks ago while passing through and was absolutely blown away. They had I think 4 barrel-aged beers on then (1 with Brett I'm pretty sure) and all were absolutely fantastic.

ONovoMexicano, breadwinner and Curb71 like this.
  3. RASTAPHX

RASTAPHX Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2011 Arizona

Az wilderness has a sour pale ale on tap now, get it and you won't be disappointed. Dragoon had a barley wine called Lazarus that people said was the best one ever made in Arizona. May still be available.

ONovoMexicano, breadwinner and Curb71 like this.
  4. Teen-o

Teen-o Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 California

I'm in the same boat as you Curb but i'll be going there next week. I've been trying to research where to go and like GoPokes said Dragoon in Tucson had the most barrel aged stuff I saw based off the tap list the breweries throughout AZ showed on their websites which hopefully aren't too outdated. Some people have been mentioning barrel aged stuff at azwilderness but it hasn't appeared on their website. Here's a recent picture from Dragoons instagram that shows their offerings. Have a good trip!

Curb71 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  5. mitchgx

mitchgx Initiate (118) Aug 7, 2005 Arizona

Az Wilderness recently opened their attached tasting room and they've typically had 2-3 BA beers on tap there that aren't in the regular restaurant/bar. Now that they've expanded I think they'll ramp up their BA program more.

Geuzedad, Curb71 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  6. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Dragoon in Tucson is your spot, @Curb71. Was just there last weekend. Absolutely fantastic, rich, almost port wine-y barrel-aged barleywine in Lazarus. They their mesquite smoked porter, Scout, aged in Rittenhouse Rye barrels. That one was a little punchy at first but settled down eventually and was pretty nice. They have their barrel-aged The Tres, 3rd anniversary bourbon-barrel aged RIS. Phenomenal. And they also had their regular Saison Blue, but tequila-barrel aged w/ Brett. That one had some great citrusy notes, and I didn't find the tequila barrel overpowering. (I like regular Saison Blue more, but I also like Saison Blue a lot!)

Also don't sleep on their seasonal DIPA, Sarcosuchus, which is one of AZ's best, IMHO.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  7. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

As others said, Dragoon. It's arguably the best brewery in AZ anyway.

8. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

Just got back and found a few good spots.
    Tops Liquor had the best selection I found for bottle shops. They also had a bar attached with a good selection of beer on draft. Sun Devil Liquors is apparently opened by the same guy so not much different than Tops I was told.
    I missed out on Dragoon unfortunately because I left Tuscon at 11:30 and they didn't open until 2pm so I had to pass. It seems they are the only spot worth hitting in the Tuscon area. Almost everything else is up in the Phoenix area which is about 100 miles away.
    I went to Huss. They didn't really have anything that impressed me. It was a tiny spot that was way over crowded and only had 1 person working it seemed.
    Liquor Factory & Deli 930 E Florence Blvd in Casa Grande had nothing worth buying off the shelf but he did happen to have a keg he sat on for 2 years that was on tap. BCBS '13 and it was drinking great. The owner is very into craft beer and stoked when I popped open a Bretta Rose b2 to share.
    Fate Brewing sounded really good but I didn't get a chance to check them out. I should of went there instead of Huss.
    Angels Trumpet was the best bar, by far! 31 beers on tap. They even had about 6 wines on tap. They do growlers and crowlers and will fill ANYTHING in a crowler. I brought a crowler of Dragoon's
    Saison Blue w/ Brett (Tequila Barrel Aged) & Black Market's Tradecraft Cherry Berliner home with me!
    Their food was good too. Only thing that sucked was trying to find parking.
    The rest of the night I easily spent at Arizona Wilderness. They recently opened their taproom which is at the same address. They had 14 beers in there. 3 barrel aged beers and a sour pale that was delicious. They also do growlers of any of their beers except the barrel aged ones.
    Next time I'm in Arizona I will definitely check out Dragoon, Fate Brewing, and then probably spend the rest of the day at Arizona Wilderness.

luwak, breadwinner and Teen-o like this.
  9. Tucson_Beer_Lover

Tucson_Beer_Lover Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2015 Arizona

I know this is a late reply, but if you come back through again, try to find one of Iron John's Sour Series. Their brewery is in Tucson and they age their sours in winecasks from a local winery, I think. Then I believe Dragoon has a couple of barrel aged beers that are fairly delicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.