Are there any styles you find yourself having a hard time appreciating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 3, 2013.

1. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

If you're drinking a hop bomb and some one says "Oh I taste the subtle notes of a southeast Asian dragon fruit," I'm calling bullshit

CoverMePorkins likes this.
  2. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Which is understandable, but you were referring to mango and papaya... not "subtle notes of a southeast Asian dragon fruit."

tectactoe and BierGartenok like this.
  3. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Jun 18, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

4. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

5. HipsterBrewfus

Welp, it's a good thing everyone's taste receptors are different.

6. audioserf

audioserf Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

I've tried a couple of examples which I enjoy, but nothing about a black IPA or a white IPA keeps me coming back for more.

7. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

Try Cigar City Tocobaga.

tectactoe and Schwantz like this.
  8. acevenom

acevenom Oct 7, 2011 Louisiana

I have to go with American light lagers and most American wheat ales. Both fall short for me. Most American wheat ales come off as tasting too papery for me.

9. Gregfalone

Gregfalone Sep 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Sours for me. I've only tried a few, so ill have to try a few more just to make sure.

10. jageraholic

jageraholic Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sours, Wit Beers and Summer seasonals.

11. SGToliver

SGToliver Nov 22, 2012 Washington

I haven't found an IPA I enjoy yet. I love sours, stouts and real belgian quads not shit that is trying to be belgian.

12. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I'm a coffee lover too and I find some porters to be woefully inadequate with the bitterness a little too high to appreciate the flavor or the flavor too muted. I tried a Velvet Merlin the other day and really liked it and appreciated the strong coffee expresso flavors that were present. I will have to explore Stouts and Imperial Stouts a little more now that I've had an eye opener.

13. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

When I read this, my first thought was you've never had a Mikkeller Black Hole ;)
    One of few drainpours in my personal experience.

14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Fruit beers, anything with Belgian in the name, stouts & porters - all of which are just personal preferences about the styles and have nothing to do with whether they are good or not good. Also - barrel aged beers. For me, the only thing that should be aged in barrels is whiskey.

15. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Wheat beers, Pilsners and Lagers.

16. iKasey

iKasey Sep 2, 2012 Pennsylvania

It's been said already but pepper-infused beers are a cluster-eff to me. I've had habanero sculpin, Stone's chipotle smoked porter. All that, I hate it. I love spicy foods and all that but the combination in a beer is just foul.

Schwantz and JxExM like this.
  17. RangnaR

RangnaR Dec 17, 2012 California

^ -- That's exactly how I feel about beers with banana and clove action in them. However, I'm also not into the wild/sour stuff. Of course, I don't like sour milk, either, so that makes sense...

18. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Stouts and Porters , guess they are one in the same , I know its crazy but for some reason , 75% of the ones I have drank have had an aftertaste that reminds me of a an ash tray that has had water poured into it, not sure why , but I just cant shake it

19. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I literally drink everything except Scotch ales, even other smoked malt beers oddly enough, and trust me I've had plenty of them the only one I can say I enjoyed at all was backwoods bastards but I still didn't really like it. I still have a 4 pack I guess I'll see how it ages.

20. thecraftculture

thecraftculture Nov 28, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Belgiums :(

I wish I enjoyed them more, there are too many to choose from.

Cannot forget my hate for smoked flavored beers.

21. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 May 1, 2011 California

Beers that are too sour... I'm working on it though :)

22. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 May 1, 2011 California

You gotta love Port/Lost Abbey's Older Viscosity :)

BierGartenok likes this.
  23. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

I didnt say that they are terrible, I just said that I have a hard time appreciating them for what they are. I just bought Central Waters Y2K and while I thought 80% was delish, I got that barleywine after taste that I dont enjoy.

24. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Jan 28, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Belgians

25. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

+1

Also not a huge fan of Reds. I enjoy a great IPA but something about an imperial red that I just don't care for.

26. HipsterBrewfus

I love Stone but VE 11.11.11 made me want to die. So yeah, Im throwing peppered beers on my list, too

27. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Count me in on the sours. I have tried probably 8 different ones and I just can't see what all the fuss is about.

Also, beer that includes Sake or aging in Sake barrels. With that said, I have only had one such beer, Hitchino XH. It was horrid.

28. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Apr 13, 2012 Michigan

Dubbels and such and stuff; black IPAs-OK but don't 'get'; strong ales (seem too, too...you know?); boring wheats; smoked beers; fussy and spicy stuff. I'll still try 'em all, though! Never quite know when the palate will change!

29. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

Kvass - it just tastes like liquid rye bread to me and I don't get it.

olympuszymurgus likes this.
  30. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Nov 16, 2008 Pennsylvania

Coffee flavored stouts, almost all porters, brown ales...but I do enjoy some Imperial Russian Stouts and Baltic Porters

31. luwak

luwak Mar 2, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

You might prefer English style or sweet barleywines. Many so called American style barleywines are really like triple IPAS with extra crazy maltiness...lot sof them suck, some i think are great but i much much prefer the sweeter less hoppy ones. In fact i think lots of American style ones get better after year or two when the hopiness seems to fade. But then you have to want the crazy maltiness...the big English style ones usually have that in spades.

32. Schwantz

Schwantz Dec 16, 2012 Florida

Doggy...sorry had to do it...reading backlogs it's obligatory. Belgian Sock funk.

33. BeastLU

BeastLU Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

Pilsners and English style IPAs...

34. icetrauma

icetrauma Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Saisons and sours.

35. mateuszekxxpl

mateuszekxxpl Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hefe and Belgium. Just can't do it.

36. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

American saisons. Ive only had a few, and most local saisons have been pretty light and just kind of there.

Now a Belgian Saison, hell yes. a sour saison, even more hell yes. Straight American brewed saison, no thanks.

Now German Lagers, ill take any of them not labelled Spaten.

37. vthippie

vthippie Dec 18, 2012 Vermont

You mean mature milk right? Put me down for sours and saisons too. Putting Brett in your beer on purpose is like letting the dandelions grow unchecked and call it a flower garden.

38. BierGartenok

BierGartenok Apr 4, 2009 Oklahoma

Adjunct Lagers

39. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

Barleywines are definitely a difficult beer. So much booze and sweet and unique flavor. I have encountered some I like and other's I will drink but definitely don't love. Not a beer I hate, just don't... appreciate!

40. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Smoked beers and pumpkins
    Can't stand either

Schwantz likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!