Are there breweries, bars, etc. that are more Grateful Dead friendly than others?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gr8ful, May 8, 2016.

1. gr8ful

gr8ful Initiate (80) Aug 17, 2014 Texas

I noticed decades ago that Dead heads, who often appeared to not have a nickle to their name, often drank very good imported beer, and I purchased some of my first micro beers in the parking lot at GD shows. So, I wonder, has this combination of a fondness for kind music and kind beers produced any establishments where two of my fondest pass-times are combined? I'm especially interested in such a place(s) in DFW, but anywhere would be cool.

2. IceAce

IceAce Champion (897) Jan 8, 2004 California

Lotsa 'Dead' references in beer names, especially in Brewpubs. Just select the 'Beer' tab and search Long Strange and you will see what I mean.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,387) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I have never, ever, heard the Dead played in a brewery. Well, that is true for today, at least.

GreenBayBA and Lonestar9 like this.
  4. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (559) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

Look up Star Hill Brewery. They were started by serious Dead-heads who are still tightly engrained in that music scene. Aside from naming and decorating a few of their beers after Dead motifs, they also are featured a lot of jam/folk music festivals and clubs.

5. pburland23

pburland23 Zealot (581) Jun 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

I was in Tired Hands Fermenteria not too long ago and Box of Rain as playing...so there's that.

mkh012 and KEEPonPOURING like this.
  6. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (516) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Terrapin has Dead related artwork. I think the artist who does Terrapin labels did artwork for the Dead too. Not like you can get it in Texas but Zero Gravity in Burlington has a dunkel lager called Me and My Dunkel.

7. OldSwampy

OldSwampy Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2016 Virginia

8. gr8ful

gr8ful Initiate (80) Aug 17, 2014 Texas

thanks for all the input. Starr Hill sounds great...next time, if ever, I'm in Charlottesville...

jmasher85 likes this.
  9. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (942) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire
    Trader

Lots of places in NE. I've heard brewers blasting the Dead at Hill Farmstead before, the last time I was at Fiddlehead they had a whole show playing (and of course a picture of Brent right on the wall). I'm pretty sure I've heard the dead playing at Mule bar and 3 Penny before. The guys at Earth Eagle Brewing in Portsmouth NH are Dead Heads and often have it playing at the bar. Oxbow is also into the jam band and blue grass scene.

10. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Aspirant (248) Aug 16, 2014 California

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,393) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I love the Dead and I love craft beer so none of the parallels seem odd to me.

Here in Allentown,PA Hijinx Brewery's best beer (IMHO) is Steal Your Face Stout. And Strange Brew Tavern which is one of the best damn beer bars in the Lehigh Valley has a decent amount of Dead flair hanging on the walls.

GreenBayBA and gr8ful like this.
  12. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,680) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

There is a beer store in Winston-Salem called Stella Brew (obvious reference to Stella Blue) which routinely plays Dead music. Matt, the owner, is a big Dead fan.

gr8ful likes this.
  13. AugustWest1

AugustWest1 Initiate (49) Feb 23, 2016 Texas

Two of my favorite things: good craft beer and the dead. Sorry I don't know of any real dead friendly breweries in Texas. Odds are there are a couple.

GreenBayBA and BenHoppy like this.
  14. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,687) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

Love the beer and music combo, the Dead was never my thing, but I appreciate the pairing

PatrickCT likes this.
  15. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,234) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

If only I could say the same thing

PatrickCT, bushycook and tzieser like this.
  16. Kendo

Kendo Poo-Bah (2,262) Dec 23, 2005 New York

About to put on a bootleg to end the night (thinking something from '73 tonight, though with tomorrow being 5/8, I may go with Cornell '77 instead) while sipping my first Calling from Boulevard. The Dead and good beers have always gone hand-in-hand for me. . . . .

17. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,300) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Rivertowne out of the Pittsburgh area has Grateful White. A witbier that was very good.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  18. kjlcm

kjlcm Initiate (188) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

Perfect thread, I have wanted to post this somewhere. I bought a case of Second Fiddle from Fiddlehead in VT last year and loved the dating on the bottom of the can. Don't remember the date, but the line printed above the date on the bottom of all of the cans was 'Scarlet > Fire' and then the date on the line below. I wondered how many of the people who bought it had any clue what that meant!

gr8ful likes this.
  19. jkrich

jkrich Champion (850) Nov 1, 2001 Florida

Check out Fat Head's Brewery - their session IPA is called "Sunshine Daydream" from the song Sugar Magnolia; also, their pilsner is named "Jack Straw" after one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs.

GreenBayBA and BenHoppy like this.
  20. spedprof

spedprof Aspirant (299) Dec 13, 2011 West Virginia

21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,719) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

PatrickCT, cavedave and jrnyc like this.
  22. Himself

Himself Initiate (162) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

It's not necessarily a "Dead-centric" bar but Moe's Tavern in Lee, Ma always has classic rock and jam bands playing in their funky "ski town" vibed joint and The Dead always end up in the rotation.

GreenBayBA and sosbombs like this.
  23. jamesder

jamesder Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2011 Maryland

Not Dead, but Phish playing at Aslin when I walked in. Heard the same thing about Ocelot

GreenBayBA and SteveSexton203 like this.
  24. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,346) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Wasn't Rainier Ale* a favorite of the band (esp. "Pigpen")? Google Images will turn up a classic B&W photo of him with a joint & a quart of the Green Death.

(Someone else can post it here in the BA forum - can't figure it out on this borrowed IPad.)
    _______
    * RIP - the real thing, not the lousy imitation from Pabst via Miller Irwindale.

#24 jesskidden, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    sharpski and beertunes like this.
  25. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (191) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Prison City in Auburn NY has a few Dead and Phish themed beers and brewery events.

GreenBayBA and bosshop like this.
  26. kap13

kap13 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2014 New York

Akes Place Burlington VT

GreenBayBA likes this.
  27. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (299) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Last time I was at Aspetuck Brew Lab they were cranking the Grateful Dead Pandora channel. As a fan of the dead I was pretty happy. I think the owner may be a dead head but not 100% sure. Great place to visit.

GreenBayBA and bcromagnon like this.
  28. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Aspirant (209) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee
    Trader

DFH American Beauty

jcos and GreenBayBA like this.
  29. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (105) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

Heard the only good Grateful Dead song played by the owner of The Maple Leaf Brewery in Wilmington VT. Other then that, thank goodness no.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  30. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,461) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Captain Lawrence used to have Dead blasting in the brewhouse.

Not sure of any Dead related fine beer pubs, but many brewers are Deadheads.

OTOH bound to meet a buncha heads in New Paltz, my nearest town, no matter where you go or what you do, also in Woodstock, which is another favorite local town.

jkane101 and bosshop like this.
  31. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,346) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

[​IMG]

Think that's a Carling Heidelberg quart in the front (partial neck label).

32. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (355) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

A better question might be, is there a brewery that ISN'T Dead-friendly.

By the way, re: Starr Hill, it is my understanding that a substantial amount of the start-up capital came from Coran Capshaw, who is accordingly still a (perhaps majority, that part I don't know) owner of Starr Hill Brewery. Capshaw is the manager of the Dave Mathews Band, Phish, Trey Anastasio, etc; co-founder with Mathews of ATO Records, the label of acts such as My Morning Jacket, Alabama Shakes, Drive By Truckers; owner of Starr Hill Presents, therefore an equity part-owner of festivals including Bonaroo, Austin City Limits, Lollapalooza, Wanderlust...

This is, in other words, about the jam band-est brewery it is possible to imagine.

33. OldLady

OldLady Devotee (479) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

Picture of Brent? Is there a particular reason/story?

Might as well (!) put up a picture of Donna.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  34. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,461) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Hmmm, Pig was on keys when I started to see them, but I thought for many of the nights in the 80's Brent was the best musician on stage. Just my .02:slight_smile:

BenHoppy, rightcoast7 and Codyiii420 like this.
  35. 67couple

67couple Aspirant (234) Jan 31, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

Observed the same thing in the lots. Kind bud and mostly craft beer. Kind veggie burritos and other vegetarian and vegan fare abounding. Living the good life, to enjoy the "bad" habits. You can find dead references in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

36. patrick802

patrick802 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Vermont

maybe it
    maybe it was the brewers hoping they play Scarlett>fire at the fare the well shows in july 2015?

GreenBayBA and gr8ful like this.
  37. patrick802

patrick802 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Vermont

there is a bar in Laramie Wyoming called "the Ranger" and they have ton of dead on the juke box.

38. OldLady

OldLady Devotee (479) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

I'm just a young 'un with limited concert experience so my opinion is meaningless. Technical chops aside, I prefer the eras of Pig and Keith.

39. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (543) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

If you ever find yourself in Boston make a point to check out Cambridge Brewing Company. The brewers seem particularly enamored with the Dead and Phish, but half their beers are hippy oriented in one way or another:

Morning Dew
    Jack Straw
    Ship of Fools
    Rye Rye Rocco
    Picture of Nectar
    You Enjoy My Stout
    Weekapaug Gruit
    Sgt Pepper
    Peaches n Regalia
    Grantchester Meadows
    Flower Child
    OM
    Lemmy (Hawkwind counts if not Motorhead)

Oh, and the beer is awesome.

kjlcm, gr8ful, bosshop and 1 other person like this.
  40. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (2,476) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio

I like the Dead, but Dawg Music was musically speaking intense....Jerry at his tops in playing and showcasing his wide range of talent and musical aptitude.

Cheers

GreenBayBA likes this.