Are there some beer brands you prefer in the bottle vs. cans?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, May 11, 2022.

1. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,109) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Miller High Life -- I prefer bottles over cans (I pour both into glasses, almost never drink straight from container). No idea why it tastes better from the bottle.

Heineken -- I only buy it in cans. Have never had the skunk issues that many complain of with their bottles.

Newcastle Brown Ale (original recipe) -- when I used to be able to get Newkie it was way better in the hard to find 500ml cans than the clear bottles.

2. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I know people have been saying last couple years that P.U. has been sold in cans but I’ve been looking everywhere I go and have yet to see them in cans. Only exception was a “lunch box” specially packaged version I saw in a bottle shop near Martinsburg WV a few years back with 4 cans in it but it was like $20+ dollars so I wasn’t interested in that collectors edition version. Where are these canned PU cans being sold on the regular?

Bitterbill and Urk1127 like this.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I can get them regularly in central Jersey (usually at least 4-5 months left before Best By date) but only some retailers choose to stock it. (2 miles down the highway from my regular P.U. retailer, the Bottle King chain store only carries the six- or twelve-pack bottles).

Obviously, if the local MC distributor carries the cans any local retailer can get it. Ask your retailer, call your MC distributor.

4. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,085) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I see them at this place Roger Wilco. Not sure of any liquor stores in maryland And sometimes Joe Canals. Never see them on total wine or any small spots

5. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Sounds like Jersey may be the hot spot, I didn’t see any on my road trip through Deep South (drove to NOLA and Florida panhandle) over the winter and never see them in DMV (Deleware, MD, VA) so far. Not in central PA or FingerLakes of NY, haven’t seen them around Ashville NC not Wilmington NC either from where I have stopped last couple years. It’s not a big deal to me really it’s just something I’m observant to look for, I’m fine with bottled PU.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,820) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Cans are available in SEPA (Philly area). I purchase four-packs at my local Wegmans supermarket.

Cheers!

7. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (675) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I've bought Bells Two Hearted regularly for years and can usually find bottled and canned versions. If the dates are comparable freshness, I like bottled Bells Two Hearted a little more than canned, but only by a little, if the can is fresher, I'm buying it.

I remember a discussion here many years ago about cans vs bottles and one of Victory's brewers (user Starkbier, I think) chimed in about their systems. The takeaway that stuck with me was their bottles had much lower Total Packaged Oxygen (TPO) than their cans, so off the line the bottle was noticeably better. However, the benefits of the can usually preserved the beer better over it's full shelf life.

8. JackHorzempa

Society

Starkbier (who stopped participating in BA forums a number of years ago) is Jim Busch. He was (is?) an investor in Victory (now ABV) and was indeed quite knowledgeable about stuff at the Victory brewery.

I wonder if it is still the situation at Victory that the TPO of the bottling line is better (i.e., lower value) at the Victory brewery (Parkesburg) than the canning line? Lots have happened at Victory over the past 5-10 years.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

Beer_Economicus, Ranbot and moodenba like this.
  9. lastmango

lastmango Champion (864) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

My first introduction to Iron City was in returnable bottles. Later, I was introduced to the beer in cans. The returnable bottles were fresher and tastier than the cans . . . hands down.

10. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,402) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

All of them.

11. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (155) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

I do not.

Grain Belt Premium definitely did to me though. It's not bad enough to not drink though.

ChicagoJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (352) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

100% high life...it's my go to crap beer and I do not enjoy cans...ponys>bottles>draft>>>>cans

13. GABronco

GABronco Initiate (73) Mar 6, 2022

Guinness is better from the can because of the nitro ball. The bottles actually state not to pour them.

My other daily beers are Sam Adams (which I’ve never seen in cans) and Sweetwater 420 (which I’ve never seen in bottles)—so my ability to compare the same beer in both formats is limited.

14. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Aspirant (233) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

High Life is required to be served in a bottle. PBR is required to be served in a can. I got a bottle of PBR at a restaurant recently and I was honestly perplexed. I forgot that they came in bottles.

15. JackHorzempa

Society

How does PBR in the bottle taste differently to you?

Cheers!

16. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Aspirant (233) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Strangely, it was a little smoother. It's more so the fact that I'm used to drinking PBR tallboys in grimey punk clubs that seeing a bottle of it was startling.

17. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (155) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Also I think Spotted Cow in the bottle tastes far better than cans or tap.

dele and herrburgess like this.
  18. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (138) May 28, 2008 Florida

I have a craft brewery that I still occasionally drink drafts at, and so will remain nameless, that lost my other retail business because numerous canned beers tasting of unlined cans.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  19. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,514) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I prefer cans for almost every beer, however, I will say that the lambics and some of the Belgian beers should definitely be sold as caged & corked bottles.

Amendm, beer_beer and ChicagoJ like this.
  20. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (8,839) Feb 20, 2009 Washington
    Society

21. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,957) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

There are no brands or styles I prefer in bottles. I don't notice any difference in taste, and cans fit in the fridge better. Also, in some parts of the country, glass that you put in the recycling bin is trashed due to few glass reprocessing plants.

22. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,120) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Weihenstephaner in cans over bottles, for no other reason than the cans tend to be newer. Total Wines has a several bottles gathering dust. Prost.

23. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you think Weihenstephaner in cans are fresher because there is quicker turnover of cans vs. bottles?

Cheers!

24. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,120) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

The release of cans happened last year. The dates on cans are usually younger than the bottles. I wish they would release all of there beers in cans just so newer beers would be available. The bottles don't seem to turn over in the larger stores.

Rug and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

DAMN, hope we see that in the Luckeye State.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  26. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

I prefer the Blueribbon devil out of the can than the bottle or draft. Crazy as it sounds the can just adds something and it's not metallic to my buds surprisingly.
    Most good beer purchased in cans I pour into glassware as I find it better overall. However, since purchasing the Brumate Hopsulator Trio, I drink straight from the can more often than not.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  27. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Devotee (436) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

It doesn't quite feel right when Belgians are in cans.
    Semi-related, I never drink out of a bottle, but will often drink out of a can.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  28. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Depends on if I'm drinking or of the container or a glass.
    If it is or of the container, then bottle is almost always the answer. That being said, long necks over regular bottles or cans. Except for Coor's stubby bottles

ChicagoJ likes this.
  29. moodenba

moodenba Defender (622) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Good tip. I liked this beer when I stumbled across it a few years ago.

30. BitteNochEinWeissbier

BitteNochEinWeissbier Aspirant (259) Aug 19, 2021 Pennsylvania

This.

Plus, I have semi-crushed Weissbier cans when I have swirled them. Which is a joy. It is also hard to see how much of the yeast is still on the bottom of the can. (I like to get as much yeast into suspension as possible.).

Rug, herrburgess and beer_beer like this.