Are WA and OR brewers lazy when it comes to hoppy beers?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by sergeantstogie, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Great point! That's more what I had in mind. And we already did it so maybe it's just a matter of time then before the next one. The PNW did veer away from hoppy porters and embraced the CDA.

2. NWer

NWer Defender (694) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I first saw this thread before anyone had responded yet and I didn't know how to take it & thought I would just sit back and watch.
    I watched.
    My turn.
    John said all there is to say very eloquently and even though I'm not as well traveled as him, I'm not exactly a homebody either.
    My perception is whenever I'm somewhere else, a great beer is a pleasant surprise. When I'm home, it's expected.
    I was at the P Street Whole Foods in DC last Monday and prominently displayed at eye level was No-Li. Beer buyer was raving about that beer and how it was flying off the shelf as fast as he could keep it in stock.
    And talk about pushing the envelope, what Matt did with Seattle Beer Week 5th Anniversary. Maximum flavor for a low alcohol session beer.
    We never make anyone's Best Ten List but I don't think most of us mind. But there's San Diego, San Francisco (including North Coast), Portland, Central Oregon (Bend & Hood River), Seattle including I-5 corridor + Spokane (thanks to No-Li) in no particular order and everyone else.

checktherhyme and draheim like this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,400) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Maybe it should be. I would try each of those beers once.

woemad likes this.
  4. NWer

Beer Trader

Mmmmmm Geoduck infused IPA! If Upright can do it with oysters, why not?

5. draheim

Beer Trader

Keep meaning to open that one. Also, my favorite Upright label yet.

NWer likes this.
  6. NWer

Beer Trader

I liked it. Plus Upright recommends it's not meant for aging. Sooner rather than later. Enjoy.

7. wsucoug96

wsucoug96 Aspirant (202) May 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Is that the Powerhouse? Or something else?

8. draheim

Beer Trader

I've kept it refrigerated since I bought it, just haven't been in the mood with this sweltering 70-degree weather.
    Imagine that, an oyster stout not meant for aging. Huh.

9. tozerm

tozerm Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2005 Washington

Same basic recipe as Powerhouse except Bravo hops exclusively.

wsucoug96 and sharpski like this.
  10. NWer

Beer Trader

Want. Loved Powerhouse.

wsucoug96 likes this.
  11. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

It's quite good, but it's not particularly heavy, and I imagine the brine fades out fairly fast. Seeing as the last part is what it makes it both tasty and unique, it's definitely worth drinking early.

NWer likes this.
  12. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

I guess on the larger stage, but I think their is plenty of fapping over every new HOTD release - of course with its inherent group of haters also, but overall I think locals/regionals love the Sprints Sauce.

8 of the top 10 have quite limited distribution or higher buy in price. The most hyped and humped beers on this site have limited distro, as beers gain more distro (through shipping, grey markets, trading, etc) they might move up the ladder due to the nature of the Bayesian equation (so in that regard I can agree with you).

Maybe I'm not clearly understanding your comment...:confused:

13. oregone

oregone Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2008 Oregon

I think when you couple in the comment I (and others) made about realistic as well as sparse local reviews, it becomes evident.
    Likewise, Hair of the Dog has a long established name as a great producer (love them or not, the beer geek nation goes pretty nuts over every release).

14. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

DAMN FUCK YES!!!! You deserve some type of reward for this post.

woemad, checktherhyme and draheim like this.
  15. tozerm

tozerm Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2005 Washington

We should have this available in the Taproom through the summer at least. I think the handle does say Powerhouse. Powerhouse used a bit of Columbus and a lot of Cascades while I think this one is either primarily Bravo or all Bravo. Reality is Cascades were a bit expensive still, Bravos were relatively inexpensive and since we use 26 lbs of hops in a 13bbl batch.... Bravo made sense and we wanted to see how it changed the flavor of a pretty popular DIPA.

BTW, since we keg in 50lt kegs, it works out to just under 1 lb of hops per keg.

16. draheim

Beer Trader

He'd probably accept beer.

woemad, bifrost17 and oregone like this.
  17. oregone

oregone Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2008 Oregon

As long as it's not some lazy Oregon or Washington beer.

woemad, bifrost17, NWer and 4 others like this.
  18. Aml42000

Aml42000 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Washington

So, if I understand the OP, brewers in Washington would be less lazy if something like Wisdom Seeker sold out in the same amount of time, but rather than drinking and enjoying fresh, we sent it all to the east coast so we could receive their fresh IPA, get on the top 250 and all enjoy less fresh beer while spending time & money that none of us need to.

Or, I could crack a can of Interurban and sit around wishing it were centennial or crooked tree instead?

NWer and distantmantra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe