Are You a Beer Geek?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

Ah shower beer. The first time I tried it was after getting home from being out in the field 10+days. It was just a PBR but it was great. I check off a few more from the list too so I'd say I am.

BJB13 likes this.
  2. MilkLeg

MilkLeg Initiate (141) Feb 8, 2016 Canada (AB)

Not a lot of love for the shower beer in this thread. Must be more of a milenial thing.
    Also there's this
    https://www.reddit.com/r/showerbeer/
    Might be NSFW, mostly just hairy dudes though :laughing:

3. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I drink too much as it is, so I think it's best that my current beer-free zones remain beer free :slight_smile:

Folks sure do look like they're having fun in that reddit thread though.

4. Todd

Todd Founder (6,666) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

bret717 likes this.
  5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Longer than that . . . I expect the guy who invented showers was drinking beer at the time.

bret717, VABA and Junior like this.
  6. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

• You’ve traveled far or waited for hours just to score some beer, because it was worth it.
    This is the only one on the list that didn't resonate with me. Can't imagine why I would travel far and wait in line for something that I can readily get within a few minutes from my house.

keithmurray and Shanex like this.
  7. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

• Drinking beer in the shower doesn’t sound weird. - Yes, it does.
    • Traveling for work or pleasure always involves mapping out potential beer stops. - No.
    • You’ve traveled far or waited for hours just to score some beer, because it was worth it. - Fuck no, my time is worth more than that.
    • You’ve traded for a beer with someone from across the country because you had to know how it tasted for yourself. - No. Why would I spend more in shipping costs, than what the beer itself costs?
    • You’ve tried homebrewing because you find the process fascinating. - Don't have time, and I'm not interested.
    • When asked what your favorite beer is you’ll always answer with “the next one,” because you haven’t tried every beer on the planet, yet. - No.
    • While you appreciate having it, a lack of proper glassware won’t stop you from enjoying a beer. - I drink out of a can or bottle regularly. The only time I pour it in a glass is if I'm sitting at home/bar and I have a 650mL or 750mL bottle.
    • Despite being presented with limited options, you’ll always find a beer to enjoy instead of complaining about the selection. - 50/50 on this one.
    • You may have a discerning palate, but you don’t look down on the opinions of other beer drinkers. - The only opinion that matters is mine because if I like and you don't that's fine. If you start telling me I'm wrong, or want to argue about it, I'm more likely to punch you in the throat because you've pissed me off.
    • You haven’t forgotten that beer is meant to be fun. - It's fun at times, but I mainly use drinking to forget about the shitty day I just had.

8. NCBrew

NCBrew Initiate (68) Apr 27, 2016 North Carolina

Yes to all

9. colts9016

colts9016 Poo-Bah (2,904) Jul 2, 2007 Idaho
    Society Trader

Well I still do most of those these. Just drove 900 miles to score beer. I traveled will drive again in a couple months for several more cases.

10. magnusfl

magnusfl Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Florida

I pass on drinking in the shower as I do not care for watered down beer and any place that does not have any glassware as even most places that serve in plastic have some glassware hidden you just have to ask for it

11. magnusfl

magnusfl Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Florida

I traveling to Cuba next month to score a few cases of rum as a home brewer I do not but much beer and yes that will cost me a duty but it so dam cheep it a joke of what it would cost to have the importer pay that and it expense of import then a whole seller who take there cut and the retailor who takes there cut so when traveling abroad bring back as much as you can which is why we taking 2 70 pound luggage bags and a 2 travel bags stored in the on the way and carry then on the way back as remember you need to get the stuff off the boat as we planning on 4 cases to bring back and know the duty is based on APV so coconut rum is cheeped duty and 151 is the most costly

12. EvenMoreJesus

Just bring a bottle in, brah. No need to be all "proper" and pour the beer in a glass. You're drinking it in the shower, after all.

13. EvenMoreJesus

Calm down there, fella. Throat punching doesn't solve anything. Well, unless the problem that you want solved is not being in jail at the present moment.

LuskusDelph and 2beerdogs like this.
  14. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (851) Jan 19, 2013 Canada (NB)

Yes to all of the above. I don't know about the rest of you guys and gals, but a shower beer is the epitome of refreshment (especially during the warmer months).

15. EvenMoreJesus

Not usually a shower beer guy, but I was on vacation this past weekend and had a couple of them. Made me kinda chuckle, actually.

LuskusDelph and PorterPro125 like this.
  16. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (851) Jan 19, 2013 Canada (NB)

They are extremely "fratty". Not so long ago I was pounding shower beers in a University Residence :grin:

17. ShetlandJon

ShetlandJon Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2017 Scotland

• Drinking beer in the shower doesn’t sound weird. Not in the slightest. There's nothing better than a shower beer after rugby!
    • Traveling for work or pleasure always involves mapping out potential beer stops. Well obviously...
    • You’ve traveled far or waited for hours just to score some beer, because it was worth it. Does a trip to Dunedin, NZ, just to go to Speights brewery count?
    • You’ve traded for a beer with someone from across the country because you had to know how it tasted for yourself. Yeah, I did a Christmas Beer Secret Santa with people on here once.
    • You’ve tried homebrewing because you find the process fascinating. I've not tried homebrewing yet, but i do brew several times a week at work, so...
    • When asked what your favorite beer is you’ll always answer with “the next one,” because you haven’t tried every beer on the planet, yet. I couldnt say I have one favourite, theres probably a few, but I'm always looking to try new stuff.
    • While you appreciate having it, a lack of proper glassware won’t stop you from enjoying a beer. Having the proper glass makes absolutely no odds to me. Sure its nice if its there, but its by no means essential!
    • Despite being presented with limited options, you’ll always find a beer to enjoy instead of complaining about the selection. Yeah, mostly. I'll generally find a beer and enjoy it, especially if I'm with friends, and then complain about the selection!
    • You may have a discerning palate, but you don’t look down on the opinions of other beer drinkers. I try not to, but I may try and expand their horizons a bit!
    • You haven’t forgotten that beer is meant to be fun. I try very hard not to forget this!

taxandbeerguy and LeRose like this.
  18. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,722) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Ditto...but I have had hot tub beer, so that is pretty close (minus the soap).

Well, I miss a little on the best beer us my next beer thing. i have definite favorites that I return to but I am also adventurous. You never know...next one could be the most fantastic beer ever or the worst, but you don't know unless you try.

#58 LeRose, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    2beerdogs and cavedave like this.
  19. B_Horne

B_Horne Initiate (39) Jun 12, 2014 California

• Drinking beer in the shower doesn’t sound weird. Sorry, it is a bit weird.
    • Traveling for work or pleasure always involves mapping out potential beer stops. That is a given.
    • You’ve traveled far or waited for hours just to score some beer, because it was worth it. Been in line 3 hours before open and traveled cross country for a beer trip... so yes.
    • You’ve traded for a beer with someone from across the country because you had to know how it tasted for yourself. Not personally but I would be willing to do this.
    • You’ve tried homebrewing because you find the process fascinating. Not sure about fascinating but the end product is beer.
    • When asked what your favorite beer is you’ll always answer with “the next one,” because you haven’t tried every beer on the planet, yet. Never used this answer but I normally try something new over something I have had.
    • While you appreciate having it, a lack of proper glassware won’t stop you from enjoying a beer. Can, Bottle, Glass, whatever...
    • Despite being presented with limited options, you’ll always find a beer to enjoy instead of complaining about the selection. I have complained about the selection.
    • You may have a discerning palate, but you don’t look down on the opinions of other beer drinkers. Um... I probably have.
    • You haven’t forgotten that beer is meant to be fun. Completely fun.

20. Tstromer

Tstromer Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2017 Texas

I got 7/10 woot woot! But I think instead of tried homebrew, should be changed to brewing yourself. :grinning:

21. Todd

Todd Founder (6,666) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

It's "you’ve tried homebrewing because you find the process fascinating," which indicates the act of you brewing beer at home.

22. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,061) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Ivd never traded beer through the mail but ive done in person trades. I love shower beers. Ive driven an hour just for beer. Im not much of a brewer but i have the on paper knowledge to do so and have worked in multiple breweries.

Id say im a geek. But if i could only drink one beer forever itd be yuengling.

VABA likes this.
  23. OriginalWayOut

OriginalWayOut Initiate (176) Nov 17, 2015 North Carolina

Nothing like a good shower beer after a long day.

BWood likes this.
  24. Tstromer

Tstromer Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2017 Texas

sure does sound like it now, must of read it wrong, haha

25. JoeAmerican77

JoeAmerican77 Defender (618) Oct 11, 2009 Colorado

7/10 according to my wife.
    9/10 according to me.

26. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (140) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

For me, I've progressed from snobbery to geekdom. I used to look down on some people because of their tastes, but I've finally realized that there really are no wrong answers when it comes down to individual preferences. Let's just all enjoy and have a good time :slight_smile:

LuskusDelph and TongoRad like this.
  27. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

7/10.
    Never had a favorite beer. I have the perfect beer for different situations and it changes all the time.

Never stood in line for beer and never will.

I trade beer all the time with buddies, but I’ve never mailed beer. Mostly because spending time in the post office is not my definition of a good time.

Love a good power shower! I even have a couple of plastic glasses if I want to get really fancy :grin:

I’ve learned over time that people can love and respect beer in different ways than you. And that’s just fine.

My dad has always been a dark beer guy. I have fond memories of taking sips from his Guinness as a small child.
    One year, my brothers and I pitched in and bought him a case of BCBS for Xmas (back when they were in 4-packs).
    I remember coming to visit 7 months later, in the middle of a 100°+ sunny Chicago afternoon, and there is my dad, mowing the lawn and drinking a bourbon county from the bottle!
    I asked him what the hell he was doing and he responded, “What? I was thirsty, so I got a beer.”
    The man loves beer. Just not in the same way as me. And that’s just fine.:slight_smile:

28. EvenMoreJesus

Classic story, that.

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  29. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey

• Drinking beer in the shower doesn’t sound weird. Seems a bit much..... it's weird.
    • Traveling for work or pleasure always involves mapping out potential beer stops. If my travels take me somewhere I have never been before, I will do some research to try the local stuff.
    • You’ve traveled far or waited for hours just to score some beer, because it was worth it. Not really. If I find it, then great. If not, no sleep lost.
    • You’ve traded for a beer with someone from across the country because you had to know how it tasted for yourself. Yes.
    • You’ve tried homebrewing because you find the process fascinating. Nope
    • When asked what your favorite beer is you’ll always answer with “the next one,” because you haven’t tried every beer on the planet, yet. I love trying new beers but I do have favorites.
    • While you appreciate having it, a lack of proper glassware won’t stop you from enjoying a beer. If I don't have it, it doesn't stop me.
    • Despite being presented with limited options, you’ll always find a beer to enjoy instead of complaining about the selection. Only if the selection is all InBev and MillerCoors
    • You may have a discerning palate, but you don’t look down on the opinions of other beer drinkers. To each their own. I like what I like. You like what you like. Sometimes its the same. Sometimes its different, and thats OK.
    • You haven’t forgotten that beer is meant to be fun. Most Definitely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.