Are you a flight guy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by torr99, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

More of a pint guy

2. rossracing

rossracing Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Illinois

flight then order a pint of my favorite of the selection

BMitch likes this.
  3. VikingBeer

VikingBeer Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2007 Kentucky

If there are enough new beers available, I always go for a flight to open the festivities. I love trying new beers, and I enjoy variety. As far as palate fatigue goes, just do as I do and have a glass of water handy, plus some kind of bland cracker or something, if available; you'll be fine for five or six samples.

4. Spreetaper

Spreetaper Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2014 New York

Depends on how many beers they have and how long I have at the brewery. But the following is my general rule.
    Only time time I made an exception and did full pints for everything (Russian River) :slight_smile:

Flight then order pints if its in the mid range. 8-10
    Pints only if its less than 6/7 beers on tap.
    Or Flights only if its 10+..
    Either way I always try to visit a top notch brewery and have the beer on premise if possible. Otherwise usually I won't take other ratings seriously.

EvilMidnightBomber likes this.
  5. rjd722

rjd722 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2013 Maryland

If I visit a place and there is no guarantee that I'll ever be back, plus they have a good amount of beers I'd like to try, then I'll get a flight. I was at Hair of the Dog in Portland and had a flight of their brews...otherwise I really prefer "full size" beers in order to get the entire experience.

6. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (485) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Many times if I'm at a brewery or bar I either don't have all day or may have to drive later so for those reasons flights give me the ability to taste a few things and help me decide what to purchase in bottle or growler to go. I agree I would rather enjoy full beer of something, but not always able. Flights or small pours can also be good way to sample and get to know a brewery and also taste some of the more expensive beers I might not want to pay for a bomber of.

When I do get flights I do always drink one glass at a time, try not and switch all over the place with styles and confuse the taste buds

7. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,409) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

If you're a ticker = flight. If you're a drinker = pint

8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,258) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Depends on what is on offer at the brewery - are they styles I enjoy, then yes... otherwise I will just have the one or two that interest me. If I'm driving, I prefer to have half pours rather than flights or full pours.

9. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (9,737) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I rarely order flights and when I do, it's because: 1) I'm in the mood to do some ticking or 2) I can't make up my mind so I try them all and make a decision which pours I want (as other people have said already), and 3) If it's a bar that does flights and there's a lot of good taps I'll order one (a flight) and revert back to point #2.

@smb - beat me to it.

NYR-Zuuuuc likes this.
  10. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,201) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Hmm not sure I buy that. New to this and like to try everything out there. Also if you have a place that fills growlers and you have a lot on the board, nice way to get a feel before you commit.

11. mecmd

mecmd Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Tennessee

I like the option of flights or half pours. Just depends on how many beers interest me.

VABA likes this.
  12. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,409) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Not an absolute, but generally it's the case. I do order them myself from time to time, but I agree with some of the other user's points about not really being able to gauge a ton about the beer from a taster-size pour.

13. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

If it's the first visit for me, I'll always get a flight

14. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (554) Dec 30, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I think you're right about opinions, and I'm not a flight guy, but I'm happy they're available. They're great for being able to work your way through more smaller beers if you're a bit lighter and they're great for introducing friends to craft beer. Would not use, but happy they're available!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.