Are you a rater?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MikeP64, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldsailor

oldsailor Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 Connecticut

I'm a rater, and do so to cast my vote on a beer. I enjoy having a place to see a score for a beer and have some level of confidence as to whether I'll like it or not if I've never tried it.

2. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (709) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I keep a detailed spreadsheet and I rate on Untappd (I'm SoCalBeerIdiot on there, too).

I used to rate on here, too, but haven't rated a single beer since the switch (back) to using the five attributes. I just don't care to put much thought into appearance or mouthfeel unless a beer is far outside the norm in either (certainly not enough to grade them on a 1-5 scale with .25 increments--that's way too fine a scale) and I certainly don't want to come off as one of the "craft beer nerds" from the Budweiser SB commercial through habitual over-analyzation of my beers; I just want to enjoy them for what they are.

Aside from not wanting to turn my enjoyment of beer into homework, I'm also just not at all a fan of the five attributes rating because it is 5x more clicking and decisions per beer than what I've been used to. Untappd is so easy to use that almost every beer I drink gets rated on there right away. In the past, I would then "update" my BA ratings about once or twice a month using my scores and notes from Untappd. This would come out to anywhere from 30-100 beers at a time--a tedious enough task under the single-score system, but now that it's five scores per beer (at least 2 of which I spend very little time considering) it's just not practical anymore. Kinda sucks because I put so much time into rating my beers on here (I got up to just over 1100 before the switch) and entering new beers (57 according to my profile) and now it seems all for nothing. The part I'll miss the most is seeing how many of the Top 250 Beers and the HOF Beers I've had, but not enough to give myself carpal tunnel over it.

By the way, more power to those of you out there who take the time to write full reviews and give thoughtful, insightful comments on the beers you drink. You people are doing the lord's work and this site is all the better and more useful for it. Just because I don't like to write full reviews doesn't mean I don't read them to help me seek out beers I might like. That said, I don't think everyone needs to (or should) be forced to put that much time and effort into it (even if we are just talking about 5 scores per beer with no additional notes).

3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,207) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I rate here because I like the organization. I rate based on how I like the beer, not within it's type. I am getting old and can't remember what I have had, so it helps. When I am out trying beer, my phone is sitting next to me on the bar. Usually I will go thru tastings of beer that I haven't had before, rate it then get down to drinking what I like. I don't believe I have actually ever slammed a beer, if I don't really care for it, and I see others did, I assumed I just missed something, that happens. If I truly liked it, and think it was epic, or stood out, I will give it a rating. I also like the ability to go back and adjust my ratings, sometimes taste buds are off and it doesn't click. If I see I gave it a bad review I will adjust it back up.

JLaw55 likes this.
  4. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (888) Dec 3, 2014 California

I tend to rate beers that don't have a lot of reviews to help build up the knowledge base on those beers. They're often from my local breweries so I figure its a good way to help them out. I rate sometimes because I feel like it. Whichever way. I write more reviews than I actually post.

5. fupa

fupa Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2014 Oklahoma

I try not to rate on this website. Although I do review elsewhere.

6. IPAGeorge

IPAGeorge Disciple (350) Oct 28, 2014 Illinois

I rate for personal logs. I always like going back and drinking a beer the 2nd, 3rd or many times to see if I feel different. I agree on being able to dissect a beer better. if you are looking for different things you just start to notice them more.

FRANKIE65 likes this.
  7. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (577) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

I'm usually with people when having new beers and don't want to be on my phone to long. I simply do a rating when i have a quick moment and go back to having conversations while enjoying my next beer.

8. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,853) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

I review and also keep a spreadsheet with the scores and whether "buy again...y/n". I find reviewing to be fun, I do it as I'm drinking the beer. I also look at the reviews of others while I'm reviewing. They can be a great tool to develop your palate ...what is that flavor, etc.

9. JayQue

JayQue Poo-Bah (3,490) Jul 23, 2005 Virginia
    Society Trader

I like to review...gives me a record of what I liked and didn't like and what I remembered about the beer. It helps that I drink most of my beer at home. I don't like to geek it up when I am out in a restaurant or bar and if I wait till I get home, the data is not that accurate or detailed.

bluejacket74 and FRANKIE65 like this.
  10. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2013 Texas
    Deactivated

I enjoy rating while I'm drinking and like taking notes for my personal use provided it doesn't get in the way of enjoying the beer.

11. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Never reviewed, never read reviews. I'll be the judge and jury, thank you. Rated for a year just to see how many I was actually sampling in 12 months, then stopped. I pay zero attention to ratings as well.

12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,104) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I review only those beers I want to be able to remember what drinking them was like. Or it's a beer without any good reviews and I want to help others also. I also use the reviews (NOT the ratings) to help me in purchasing decisions. A good review will be a nice way to more accurately choose a beer I will enjoy.

13. rudzud

rudzud Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts

Probably on an island when I say this, but I complete hate quick rates/ticks and even moreso that it affects a beers score. EVEN moreso people who just 'rate' a beer a sub 3. A brewer (a good majority of which do watch their beers through this site) went through the time and energy to make a beer...and you gave it a 2.25. Okay, but why? There is no justification behind why someone gave it that number, or say, a 3.67. Really? How did you come up with that arbitrary number? What didn't you like about it? Was it infected? Or do you just not like stouts, so you ordered one anyways and proceed to give it a 2?

You've gone through the trouble to track down a beer, or at least sit down and enjoy it, the least someone can do is review the damn thing. People say "I just drink the beer to enjoy it, I don't have time to review"...those statements completely contradict each other. How do you know you're going to enjoy the beer? Well, if you looked a beer up on BA you probably read some peoples reviews and somewhere in them saw some descriptive words that made you want to drink it. Typically, one isn't just slamming back a dozen craft beers in the span of 30 minutes...in the act of drinking the beer does take some time, and in doing so you are inevitably going to smell and taste the beer. Those smells and tastes are going to translate to words in your head. Write them down on BA. Contribute to helping sway or disway someone from that beer. You're on your phone anyways to check off that tick...the additional 30-60 seconds to justify it is THAT much more work? Awful.

For the people who rate/tick at events/fests because there isn't enough time to review and the sample sizes are small...you're 30 samples deep, slightly buzzed, and your palate is destroyed. Guess what, your numbers are completely fictitious.

14. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

Mainly log book for me. Easy to go back and look for a beer I forgot about or if I am unsure if I have had the beer or not. Also good to see what are my top rated on down.

15. Ericness

Ericness Devotee (415) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I tick everything on Untappd though don't usually assign a score. Almost always leave a quick comment though so I can keep track of what I think. Basically shorthand notes for science and future reference if needed.

For reviews, I've done a few on here but switched over to keeping a blog where I do a writeup of some of the more interesting beers I drink or simply when I feel like it. Always just give my impressions though since I find assigning numbers kind of arbitrary. I know it's not going to change the world and that most people won't ever read it, I just like to do it for fun and find it relaxing.

16. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

2,300 ratings in so yeah I guess you could say this is getting serious.

MikeP64 likes this.
  17. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (6,445) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

I have fun rating beers. I am a former radio news reporter so I like to write short to-the-point stories. Writing a review in only a few sentences fits my writing style. Many of my reviews are formulaic but sometimes I'll throw in a pun or some unusual descriptor just for the fun of it.

JLaw55 likes this.
  18. BrownAleBollocks

BrownAleBollocks Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Kansas

I tend to rate beers because it helps me remember the beer more, I can go back and read it if need be, and it helps me to slow down and savour the beer and to really see what is in and behind it. I also rate and review in hopes that they will help others that may be considering what or what not to purchase. Given that all reviews are subjective though, I take them with a grain of salt, as mine should be taken with one, although I try to do that best I can if it will help other BA's or beer enthusiasts. Other than that, it's just kinda fun to do.

19. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,126) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I am just recently a reviewer. I installed Untappd a few years ago, and joined BA less than half a year ago. Prior to that, I drank craft beer, and only bothered to remember the ones that I would repeat. I've found that, ever since starting to review beers, my enjoyment of them has grown - even when those reviews are constrained by the Untappd character limits, adding some detail helps me more than leaving the comments field blank or typing in the equivalent of "Good beer". Needless to say, reviewing on here helps me even more. I enjoy taking time to sit and savor, to concentrate fully on the beer in my mouth, and to put that experience into words.

I'm under no illusion that my reviews help anybody on here, because my palate is probably more than 3 standard deviations away from the mean on this site, but I do it because I enjoy it. It's not homework to me, it's giving expression to what I'm enjoying (or not so enjoying) about a beer.

bluejacket74 and FaradayUncaged like this.
  20. SoCalBeerIdiot

Trader

1. I don't think you're on a island with these sentiments. This topic has been debated ad nauseam and lots of other BAs feel the way you do (including the Bros. who have ultimate say). Not me, though.

2. According to Todd, there is barely any difference between the average quick scores and the average full review so I'm not sure what you mean by this or why you'd have a problem with quick ratings. Especially since you can check a box to only see full reviews.

3. ...and they got our money when we bought their beer. We don't owe them anything else beyond that.

4. Just because someone gives a beer a score outside the standard deviation doesn't mean there's no justification for it. I'm okay with the new rule about having to put in a few comments explaining scores outside that deviation, though. That makes plenty of sense. I just don't think it needs to be chained to a five-attribute rating.

5. Completely disagree here. I can enjoy a craft beer while I'm watching the game, or cooking dinner for my family, or giving my kid a bath--you know what I can't do while I'm doing those things? Review a beer. At least not beyond what it takes on Untappd; BA's app is too clunky in these situations. Don't assume that just because you have time to do it that everyone does or that everyone enjoys beer in the same setting and in the same way you do.

6. Relax! Have a beer!

donspublic and JLaw55 like this.
  21. 4ingredients

4ingredients Initiate (0) May 22, 2009 Massachusetts

I have not posted any ratings of my own yet. I have many notes on scratch papers and keep a catalog of all the different beer I have had the pleasure of drinking. Additionally, I do enjoy reading the ratings on BA. For me, it has been primarily an issue of time (or lack there-of) to execute the posts.

22. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,322) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Trader

Lately I haven't been writing about the beer I drink. Its too much work when really I just want to be sitting and enjoying it. On several occasions if it is something I've been wanting to try for a long time, then I will write up a review.

23. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,811) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Nope. I stopped a couple year ago. I'll occasionally toss something up if a beer or location is special, but I'm not sure the #'s mean much of anything. I'm convinced that the comparisons just don't make a lot of sense.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,083) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I used to rate based on my personal taste, and beers that stood out one way or the other got a review. Recently I have decided to go after bjcp certification and have changed my rating and review style to being practice for the tests and practice for myself to write reviews and score beers based on bjcp categories and guidelines.

JLaw55 likes this.
  25. Imacopyouidiot

Imacopyouidiot Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 Illinois

I give this post a 2.75 for creativity and a 3.25 for content.

26. 77black_ships

77black_ships Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

I have 4500+ reviews just not on BA, it is too much work to add them BA I think, I would need to add 100s of new beers probably. I have a review for virtually every beer I have ever tried.

I view it like a collection & I love adding to it. It works for me.

utopiajane and MikeP64 like this.
  27. FRANKIE65

FRANKIE65 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2014 Canada (ON)

Love this!
    So true, the internet is full of people who love to "hear" the sound of their own voice.

28. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,834) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society Trader

Magnamity. When you read my opinions, you become a better person. You're welcome.

29. Mooslerfitness

Mooslerfitness Devotee (410) Feb 1, 2015 Ohio

Personal log for me way to many to remember

30. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (166) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

...so your're a rater of posts....not beer....crazy.

31. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Poo-Bah (1,829) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Used to write reviews on RB, became mundane and a chore and I found Untappd. I like just throwing in a quick rating to keep track of things I didnt like. I also port my ratings over here.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  32. rudzud

rudzud Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts

I'll give you everything but 3/4. When you give a beer a low mark you do owe the brewer/brewery an explanation as to why you think it sucked (which I knew infuriates brewers(ies)). Was it stale, was the turbidity level unacceptably high, did it smell like dish soap, etc.? You should have to explain your actions. If you don't owe it to the brewer(y) then you owe it to the fellow members of BA to explain why that beer was bad. Not just a 2 and a generic "this beer sucked" to fulfill character requirements. You do no justice with that and that review should be reported and deleted. It contributes nothing of substance.

Just throwing a number out there, and leaving it, is like making an accusation with no actual basis in facts. You are accusing a brewer(y) of making a shitty beer with no basis behind it. No different than when the whole East coast beers vs west coat beers flare up on here, and people from regions delibrately bash popular beers from other areas on the sole purpose to make their beer look better/more sought (Hill's first release of Ann comes to mind, when everyone was giving it 4.7+ and a california guy gave it a sub 2 and likened it to gas station quality beer when there was probably no chance he'd even had Ann to begin with).

StartedwithSAM and do_ob like this.
  33. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

Drink, rate. Used to do detailed reviews in a tasting book but got old after awhile. Too much work.

34. MLaVioletteJr

MLaVioletteJr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

35. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,601) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I rate everything. Used to do more reviews, but now less of that and more a quick rating. I also review places. I like to track what I had, liked, and when I tried each beer. I'm a ticker by definition, but for me its really a matter of knowing if I had the beer, and if I liked it. Easier than going by memory.

36. colforbin73

colforbin73 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2010 California

i think rating is a little cheap. but i do it occasionally: RATE ALONE, on the off chance i might want to see what i thought someday.

if i bother getting on beeradvo for a beer tho, i will generally review it. there is probably no real difference OTHER THAN, whenever i look at a beer rating/review on here, i pretty much scroll through till there is a review. a 3.81 or 4.67 is useless to me really ----

i would rather look at a review where i can get an idea of someone else's VP. even if it is antithetical to my own, if i read a review of someone who says, "this is too sweet for me"... "too much coffee flavor" ..... "crazy boozy".... or "the hops are so fresh" that means so much more than 3.89.

37. do_ob

do_ob Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

I always rate and write a review. It bugs me when I go to check out a potential buy and the first 2 pages are just numbers. I feel like whether you love it, hate it, or think it's just okay - at least write a couple sentences to let people know why. That's just me, though.

38. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,496) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

All reviews, all the time!

bluejacket74 likes this.
  39. biboergosum

biboergosum Poo-Bah (13,725) Oct 28, 2007 Canada (AB)
    Society

Yup, but sandwiched right between my reviewing (more important to me) and the ticking (of lesser importance). People who have called me a 'just a rater' in the past have quickly become dead to me, mostly due to their ignorance (and Untapped-loving hypocrisy).

40. SoCalBeerIdiot

Trader

1) You can check a box to see only full reviews so your first part is moot.

2) How many f'ing reviews do you need to read?!? I read reviews--I read like 2, 3 tops before I decide whether or not a beer is for me. Do you seriously need everyone to write reviews so you can read each and every one of them before deciding on a beer? Really???

You people that want everyone to be like you just because you write full reviews and/or use all 5 attributes is what bugs me, but only because you got your way and the rest of us didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.