Are you aging any cans? If so, what's your oldest?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Hanzo, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

A recent discussion has been brought up about the downside of cans. My only concern is long term (5+ year) storage of cans and the fear of the liner (containing BPA) dissolving into the beer. I honestly do not age any beers in cans, but I am wondering if others do. And if you do what is your oldest can you have, and the oldest beer you've consumed from a can.

2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm aging some Ten FiDY that was canned on my birthday. I wouldn't worry about the BPA since chances are that you've consumed quite a bit over your life time when no one knew about BPA.

3. PALMEJ1

PALMEJ1 Aspirant (214) Dec 8, 2008 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I've got 08 and 09 TenFidy's in the cellar. Tried an 09 about a month ago and it was fantastic!

2Xmd and FUNKPhD like this.
  4. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I love your ignorant optimistic attempt at logic :slight_smile:

havron, jakemn91, RyanCave and 3 others like this.
  5. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's from all the lead paint I consumed as a child.

havron, Nickcal, jakemn91 and 16 others like this.
  6. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Aspirant (272) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You need to ask this question 10-20 years from now and see who's alive to answer it.

havron and MatthewPlus like this.
  7. jtmartino

Beer Trader

Tastes extra good coming out of the BPA-lined cans!

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,026) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I see your bpa shhenanigans and raise you ozone depletion.

Anyway, ten fidy is a great beer to age, I've had it with three years on it and it was exceptional.

9. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

Before I learned about the BPA lining being bad for you from my chemistry professor. I tried a 09 Ten Fidy forget about BPA it tasted like metal and was a complete drain pour it would have gotten a 1 rating on here but I also tried it on tap and I rated it off of that instead. As far as your BPA question it goes up exponentially with age since when some dissolves it increases the surface area. Bottom line if your determined to drink from a can do it as fresh as possible.

10. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Did you drink it from the can or pour it into a tulip? Or snifter?

11. BlackDragon

Tulip I refuse to drink from cans.

12. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

That's odd. I've enjoyed cases on top of cases of ten fidy and have never gotten a metallic taste. Ever.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  13. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've got a couple of Tecate cans in my fridge that somebody left at my house at a party last December.

LoganStegman and ESeab like this.
  14. BlackDragon

did you drink all these cases fresh or aged?

15. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Yes. I've had both. Back to 2009 with no issues.

16. BlackDragon

I've only had 1 from 2009 but theres someone on here who said every beer in his 6 pack tasted like metal maybe it wasn't the can and just a bad batch

17. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

If he's buying six packs its not 10.50.

harrymel likes this.
  18. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (466) Aug 30, 2012 California

Try one fresh and sit on one for a couple of years. Honestly the small minute amounts of BPA that may be lurking in your 4 yr old ten fidy would be fine and no worries to consume.

19. TheGoof

TheGoof Initiate (134) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I have two cans of Brewery Vivant's Escoffier left, but I have no clue on when to drink them. I hear they are tasting mighty good right now. I might have to have one soon and keep the other for a while.

20. Infinite1

Infinite1 Aspirant (273) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I guess I need to run to the store and start aging some ten fidy

havron likes this.
  21. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

I got some ten fidy and lower de boom down in the cellar. They are both relatively fresh.

22. BlackDragon

I'm guessing something was wrong with the canning line. If there are any bare spots not coated with the bad plastic it could add a metal taste to your beer. If you don't believe me scratch up the inside of one of the cans reseal it with wax or something and try it in a month or 2 I'm guessing you'll taste metal.

23. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I thought you refused to drink from stemmed glassware?

24. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (582) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I doubt you could taste the metal over the flat, oxidized mess that previously opened beer had turned into.

25. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Nah, I blame a psychosomatic reaction to the idea of a can... and yeah, didn't you bash tulips in a glassware thread...?

26. BlackDragon

I never said I hated tulips mines a New Holland Tulip it doesn't really have a stem its Tekus that I hate regular tulips are ok.

27. BlackDragon

That was Tekus which I still like to break but I like many tulips.

havron and FUNKPhD like this.
  28. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Is Ten FiDY going to come in the Imperial Pint cans? That would be fucking sweet.

29. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Not that I have read, but gknight deviant and I've heard gubna are all going to plus the super tall dales and pils. Yummy.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  30. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Meyvn (1,385) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

In addition to my ten fidy, which only has a little over a year on it, I have a few cans still of Monk's Blood that I will try to taper out until they start producing it again. 2 years on the ones I have and still is incredible.

afrokaze likes this.
  31. jbland21

jbland21 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 Illinois

...pretty sure kegs are lined with bpa so you better not drink any aged beers on tap.

32. videofrog

videofrog Defender (646) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

This thread reminded me of how I have a set of Pepsi Star Wars Episode I cans "aging" in my old bedroom closet in my parent's house. Can't wait to crack the Jar Jar Mountain Dew for a special occasion!

havron, FocusDave, MSandahl23 and 2 others like this.
  33. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (580) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry Beer Trader

kegs are usually stainless steel and not lined.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  34. jtmartino

Beer Trader

Oh jesus. I bet it will taste like animal urine. Even then, it'll only be half as bad as that abomination of a movie.

BigBarley likes this.
  35. BlackDragon

Are you drunk kegs are made of stainless steel

jbland21 likes this.
  36. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I still think the "metallic taste" argument is silly...do you taste it from a keg? There isn't even a liner there.

37. BlackDragon

Like I told the other guy scratch up the inside of your can as much as possible then reseal and leave the beer for a few weeks to a month then tell me you don't taste metal. If theres any spot on the can missing the liner like if the canning factory messes up your beer will touch the aluminum and taste like metal the longer it ages the more metal and bpa it will pick up.

38. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Yeah, maybe that happened...sorry, it just seems very unlikely to me. I have had aged cans (only up to about a year and a half) that if nothing else seem fresher than aged bottles. And, no metal to speak of.

Plenty of canning breweries around me now, and while I mostly drink the beers fresh, I have never detected metal. Actually, back in my miller lite days, people would talk about metal, and I still never really got it.

39. BlackDragon

to be fair miller lite basically has no flavor at least nothing good so I'm guessing that would make any even small amount of metal easier to taste than say a imperial stout like ten fidy also some people are more sensitive to certain tastes than other people my guess is since it you seem to think it was alot of people they weren't all imagining things

40. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,580) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

The real question for me is "does beer age in a can?" Traditionally, "aging" was a wine concept that has been relatively recently favorably adopted by beer afficionados. The wine "aging" refers to, basically, the oxidation of the wine in the bottle - oxidation from the oxygen in the bottle and from the small amount of oxygen/air that gets in through the cork.

So, for me, I have to ask smarter people than me the question. Is there oxygen in a can? Are there any other gases in the can that would allow a beer to age "or oxidize" as the case may be?

Seems to me that brewers are starting to can for the very purpose that it eliminates or reduces the "aging" thus making the beer "fresh" longer. No?

havron and fdm_2k like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.