Are you getting sick of hoppy beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IPAandGreenChile, Jun 5, 2015.

?

Are you getting sick of hoppy beers?

1. Yes

18.9%
  2. No

81.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steasdale

steasdale Initiate (33) Aug 13, 2014 Canada

This seems to be a common refrain these days, but for me preferences largely tend to be seasonal. At this time of year (late summer) and into the fall I love fresh hoppy IPAs. What I am really tired of is buying past-prime IPAs and I've never been a big fan of Black IPA or heavily malted IPAs. Into the winter I prefer to settle into brown ales and stouts, in the spring lagers, in the early summer Saison.

2. jed_productions

jed_productions Initiate (195) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

No. Quite the opposite. I can't seem to get enough of them lately.There are good hoppy beers and bad hoppy beers. As long as I stick to the ones I like, I don't get tired of them.

My taste for hoppy beers will start to taper off once the days of summer are gone. Then I will indulge in stouts, porters, barleywines, etc.

steasdale likes this.
  3. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Maybe it so for some small minority, but clearly not most, hence the sales and ratings. I've labeled some popular IPAs too bitter to drink. Including offerings from Otter Creek (hoppy pilsner technically), Green Flash, Coronado and Evil Twin plus others. Ask the homebrew folks, but my understanding is that some hops are specifically bittering hops and others provide mostly aromatics or flavors. I think (just my guess) the explosion of new, very popular IPAs stems from a reduction in actual bitterness. IBUs are high, but IBUs are not reflective of bitterness despite the name.

4. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I LOVE hoppy ales, but you can bet your boxers I'm ready for heavy/dark season!

5. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

No.

But I am looking forward to Fall, when it's easier to default to heavier beers at times.

6. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Disciple (304) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

I had to hit "yes" on this after a small personal struggle - I still love all things hoppy. For the first few years of my beer enlightenment phase, it was all about hops all the time and nothing else hit the spot quite as well. Years later I find myself gravitating to various lager styles, mellow pale ales, ambers, and generally beers that don't open-hand slap me in the face with hops. Breweries are still capitalizing on the hop craze and continue to churn out IPA after IPA with "X" experimental hops and "Y" special malts, and it just isn't doing anything for me right now.

Thing is though, as mentioned time and again, this sentiment seems to ebb and flow periodically - if you love hops, you will come back to them sooner or later.

surfcaster and IPAandGreenChile like this.
  7. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Hence my pet theory about the people drawn to try craft. Craft market share is growing, but is still small.

I'd bet the people who have my reaction to hops is pretty small, no argument there. I'd also bet that the proportion of people who'd need to put effort towards getting acclimated to hops is fairly high, and the segment of them who are willing to do so is significantly smaller.

8. HuskyHawk

It's interesting, and not wrong in my view. I needed acclimation to Sam Lager back in 1987, but liked Pete's Wicked right away. But I also think that the hops used in many of these beers today are more aromatic, impart more flavor and less bitterness. I think this is one reason why Sam's IPAs failed over the years. IPAs have evolved to be both more hoppy and less bitter in many cases. Those are the beers I see people clamoring for.

9. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (238) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I heard that. I'm sick of people generously extra-ing me old ass IPA's. I don't care how sought after they are, I don't want them if they taste like cardboard after sitting on your counter for 6 months.

10. stonesean

stonesean Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 District of Columbia

Though I think you and I agree about 99% as far as our views of the beer world go, the stats on BA's top 250 beers don't lie. Except for a few outliers, if it's not an IPA, DIPA, or Imperial Stout, it's not going to get much love on Beer Advocate.

11. NoobofBeer

NoobofBeer Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2015 Canada

I wonder how often special/rare or uncommonly used hops and malts have been tried by other brewers a few times and they just had the realization of "This sucks..Not worthy of market" and then the next guy comes along trying to coast a beer along by its use of whatever experimental or special crap they can toss in.

12. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I've learned to get other styles in between the hoppy beers. I try not to overwhelm my pallet with any one style in a session.

13. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

For my part, I'd love to be able to get acclimated to the less-bitter hops. Unfortunately, my tastebuds are set up so that I can't even tell a fresh Habanero Sculpin has any pepper in it, past the effect I call the "wall of perfume" (my girlfriend loves that beer, so I've tried on more than one occasion). If a good DIPA is like a work of art, it's done entirely in shades of red and I'm red-green colorblind.

Meanwhile, I've seen excellent beers I enjoyed get discontinued, and replaced with more IPAs in brewery lineups (GLBC being the worst offender I've seen in this regard over the past few years), and enough breweries trying to add hops to every beer they make to the point where I've run into things such as a hopped-up gose. To further abuse the analogy from the first paragraph, I just wish more people appreciated art done in colors other than red.

I'm also curious how much quicker the craft market could grow, if the public face of it were more than just hoppy beers - most non-craft people I've talked beer with don't even realize the popular massive stouts exist, they just refer to craft beer in general as IPAs.

14. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

A version of this thread pops up on beer websites every few months. And I have to question, why? I believe the answer is because there seems to be a lack of willingness to accept the fact that hop beers are a true part of the drinking landscape. It seems as though there is a belief that, eventually, these beers will fade away, like a trend.

Asking if folks are sick of hopped beers is, to me, like asking if folks are sick of stouts, or blondes. They are a part of the landscape. They can be done poorly, or wonderfully. But they are not a fad.

15. JFMBearcat

JFMBearcat Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Ohio
    Deactivated

I've stopped caring about what gets love on Beer Advocate once I realized that all that matters to me is what JFMBearcat loves.

MoorBeerPlz likes this.
  16. Tut

Tut Initiate (173) Sep 23, 2004 New York

Well said. You nailed it. The breweries attempts to cater to the single-minded hopheads by turning every style into an overhopped monstrosity are alienating many of us. Adding tons of west coast hops to a hefeweizen is disgusting.

BuffaloBill12 and TongoRad like this.
  17. HuskyHawk

No argument, although there are now four imperial stouts and a quad in the top ten. My point is simply that those IAPs/DIPAs ranking highly on the list are more complex, elegant and less bitter than many ordinary IPAs/DIPAs. Bitterness isn't the characteristic causing them to be ranked highly. Hoppiness yes, bitterness no.

If anything, I'd say that the list is dominated by high alcohol beers. That would seem indisputable.

18. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,469) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

19. SonictheBeerhog

SonictheBeerhog Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Yes and no, I'm bored of all the usually hops in IPA's. However, I love me some Citra and Mosaic hops! Bring em on!!!

20. innominat

innominat Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012 Ireland

No Im not sick of them as of yet. But I have expanded my tastes with a few trips to Munich and a simple lager/wheat hits the spot these days.

21. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,063) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Big huge hoppy beers are like 16% alcohol Zinfandels that stain one's teeth. They make a statement and devour your palate. I love hoppy beers and I'll knock back a juicy high alcohol red wine, but I do not reside in any one position. What was that old saying about variety, spice, and life?

22. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,060) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

I got off of hoppy beers for a while, for a period of about a year, and now I'm back on them!

But these days, i find I prefer a nice hoppy pale ale or session IPA to a big DIPA

BigMike likes this.
  23. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (644) Mar 28, 2009 California

No because I don't drink just one style until I am sick of it.

mpmcguire11 likes this.
  24. blisscent

blisscent Devotee (445) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

No, but it would be nice to see more brewers try the gose and berliner weisse styles or anything tart for that matter.

mpmcguire11 likes this.
  25. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Aspirant (290) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

Definitely not! I mean its good to switch it up from time to time and get something other than an IPA/DIPA, but for the most part I want hops.

26. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

Not yet.
    I mean, I'm trying but it just ain't happening yet.
    Maybe it never will.

London_Gent likes this.
  27. Blueglass

Blueglass Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2015 Ohio

This is the heart of it for me. To each his/her own, but the over-commercialization of hoppy beers doesn't leave much for those of us that prefer... anything... different. In my area, they haven't started to catch on yet unfortunately.

28. London_Gent

London_Gent Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 England

Equinox hops have got me interested again.

29. bmuckian

bmuckian Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2016 Illinois

Would like to see an increase of "non hoppy" Pale Ale available in south suburb area of Chicago Like Sam Adams Boston Ale. Seems we have more of the horrible tasting IPA , or "hoppy" pale ale . Listerene mouthwash is better tasting than any IPA I have tasted.

30. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (183) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Not tired of hoppy anything. I have tapered off on the ipa's, but would lpve to see more hoppy lagers like SN Hoppy Lager. Also hoppy pale ales. Love the hops. Hoppy Cheers!!

Dan_K likes this.
  31. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (515) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Sadly, no. When I 1st joined back in '08, YES, a thousand times YES. But overtime, through trying & buying IPA, APA, Pale Ale, DblIPA, session IPAs, etc etc I have come to appreciate hoppy beers once I took the time to understand the different varieties & what I found I liked & didn't like for my own palate. However, I prefer to have a wide variety of styles on hand & find it odd when some folks prefer to stick with one style, to each his own.

32. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Aspirant (218) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Never. Ever. Never. Death before boredom of hops.

VABA and BSW like this.
  33. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,522) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

On the contrary, my appreciation for hoppy beers in growing. I do appreciate them more when they are well balanced, though. One-dimensional resiny hop bombs need not apply.

34. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I just changed my vote to yes. I've always respected a good hoppy IPA but it's always been a "when I'm in the mood for it" thing. This winter/spring I started drinking a ton of strong, hoppy beers and realized I really got burnt out quickly. On a side note, nothing annoys me more than buying a new red or amber ale I haven't tried only to find out it's overly hoppy instead of being a caramel malt bomb. So yeah, I've never been a hop head. Never will be. You can ban me now :slight_frown:

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,427) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm sick of mediocre hoppy beers, a great IPA or DIPA is just that, but the sea of dull average puts me off right now. More Pils are finding their way in.

monkeybeerbelly, jj139 and Billet like this.
  36. mjfv23

mjfv23 Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Montana

TANK 7!!!

Harrison8 likes this.
  37. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,384) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I agree that the mediocre ipas i dont like only because paying $13 for a six is high for me and i couldve got something better for that amount but the curse of always trying something new gets me often. I dony need to be blown away every time. But often ill think its similar to something i couldve bought cheaper.

I do love hops tho. Im not really into the orange juice hop thing going on but i like hops that give off pine and earth and grass flavors. And i have access to a great english ipa in Hopfish and id like to see more of the style.

#397 Urk1127, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  38. Unmakable

Unmakable Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2016 Illinois

No, but I will say it's easy for me to get burnt out on any kind of beer if I don't switch it up. I try to keep multiple styles on hand so I can alternate, and I never get tired of anything if I keep that going.

nc41 likes this.
  39. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (312) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

The 20% can cool it.
    The 80% don't want to.
    (Poll at this writing)

I've cut down on the very
    hoppy beers and have been
    drinking more session IPA's
    which are less hoppy lately.
    But I will keep drinking the
    very hopped IPA/IIPA's now