Are you ready for in-person beer fests?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Aug 1, 2021.

?

Are you ready for in-person beer fests?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2021.
  1. Yes

235 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

255 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. I don't attend beer fests

47 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,062) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I am tired of being lumped in with people who are just being obstinate and wanted to clear the air. As a result of my situation I expose myself very little to people outside of my bubble. I go to work, get groceries, and go to Mass. Our Parrish has a section reserved for people who still wear Masks. I get the whole section to myself. Beer fests, concerts, and everything else full of people who refuse to adhere to simple social contracts are backshelfed indefinitely as a result.
    Lastly, I am curious about the people in this forum stating they will go if proof of vaccination is required. Vaccination doesn't mean you can not get or spread the virus. I would rather see negative tests rather than vaccine cards.

2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,036) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Dang man you still go to church while taking all those other precautions? Being indoors with that many people and no one else but you wearing masks for that long is a really high risk, especially with people singing, socializing and moving about. Even with a section largely to yourself. The mask you wear largely only protects others from you, unless you're wearing an N95 and also eye and ear covering, and showering as soon as you get home...

It might be worth getting tested for anti-bodies because you're really kind of throwing all caution to the wind every Sunday, and you may have already contracted it asymptomatically.

WCKDVBZ and OldBrewer like this.
  3. mhucker28

mhucker28 Initiate (81) Apr 24, 2020 California
    Trader

I wouldn't even consider going to one unless it was outside and required proof of vaccination. Sadly people not getting vaccinated are going to continue to drag this thing out unless something changes soon.

4. marko65

marko65 Initiate (79) May 25, 2008 Canada (BC)

I’m ready to go anywhere and do anything with people who are fully vaccinated. Vaccine passports are the best way to go.

mhucker28 and jonphisher like this.
  5. NanookinTexas

NanookinTexas Initiate (81) Jul 5, 2015 Texas

Remember, nowhere in the world, including here in the United States, have these "injections" received "approval" from ANY so called "medical authority". All of these "injections" are administered under "EMERGENCY USE AUTHORIZATION". EUA is FAR different than "approval". Thus ALL that have elected to participate in these "injections" ARE IN FACT participating in a global medical / pharmaceutical experiment.

pjeagles, SP23 and teal like this.
  6. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,331) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

If you are vaccinated yes, it is virtually zero from the CDC numbers themselves...

Breakthrough cases for the vaccinated: 0.077 %

By the numbers: Only 0.004% of those vaccinated that were later infected have been hospitalized from the virus and .001% have died, per the CDC.

That's about as close to zero as you can get and enough for me personally to feel comfortable attending crowded events. I 100% understand if you feel otherwise, but I'm answering for myself since that was the title of the thread.

You put it better than I could so I just re-quoted you :slight_smile:

#86 jonphisher, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    pudgym29, SP23, JackHorzempa and 2 others like this.
  7. jtabbsvt

jtabbsvt Initiate (119) Jul 27, 2005 Maryland

No, but it does make the odds much lower. I like my post-vax odds of either not having symptoms at all or, at worst, possibly feeling crummy for a few days. As for my potential to spread, in large part others who are vaccinated will not fare worse than I would in the event that I were to infect them. I’m not standing on the sidelines to avoid a small risk of mild illness or to protect people who still refuse to get vaccinated.

8. Foodboy

Foodboy Initiate (37) Apr 2, 2016 Texas
    Society

Thanks to the unvaccinated we have the new and improved Delta variant. So that's a big NO to in person anything. Back to curbside grocery shopping and seeing patients only by telehealth. Starting to seem like we are on the five year plan to see the end of this virus.

9. Karyyk

Karyyk Initiate (194) Dec 18, 2004 South Carolina

I voted "No" (children too young to be vaccinated and a parent in an "at-risk" group) although I do agree that going on like this seems absolutely unsustainable ("pandemic fatigue" seems like a huge understatement at this point). I am vaccinated, so I would probably consider something outdoors, local and small-scale, but right now with Delta raging and the general lack of consideration, anything large-scale and indoors is sadly out (I was really looking forward to live music again too).

MadMadMike and mhucker28 like this.
  10. mhucker28

mhucker28 Initiate (81) Apr 24, 2020 California
    Trader

This is true, but if enough people got vaccinated to the point we reached herd immunity, this Delta variant would be a non-issue in the US. Mask mandates, shutdowns, etc wouldn't need to be implemented as they are now.

11. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Aspirant (206) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society

12. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Never been to a beer fest. Planning to hit my first this September in TN, mainly to meet some fellow homebrewers and sample their brews.
    Even though I’m vax’d, my current mindset is to not attend events that demand I (or anyone else) show something that supposedly “proves” it.

This isn't directed specifically at @mhucker28 but the quoted part did spawn a question.
    Does vaccination in and of itself contribute to herd immunity?

9percenthurdle likes this.
  13. jjpm74

jjpm74 Initiate (102) Apr 10, 2005 Connecticut

No, I will not be attending any festivals in the foreseeable future. I had COVID and it left me in compromised health, so even though I am also now fully vaccinated, I am supposed to avoid large indoor gatherings.

BBThunderbolt and PapaGoose03 like this.
  14. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,003) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

As usual, some of this convo gets out of hand or people read too much into people's response.
    I'd do a beerfest outside at this point, but with the Delta-variant and an unclear picture on % vaccination vs SARS Cov-2 mutation future coming this season, I'd hesitate on the indoors, much as it would be fun. Just had a colleague of mine die at 47... eek.

Just hoping Chicago doesn't go back to a mask mandate everywhere when I visit in a couple of weeks... we'll see. But I'll do it if needed. Not a biggie.

15. Tukee

Tukee Initiate (101) Aug 1, 2009 Arizona

Does this count? (Oozlefinch Brewery, Ska Brewing....and lots of...well...ska)
    https://www.supernovaska.com/
    I was all in ready to go a month ago. But now I'm back on the fence. Covid numbers are trending the wrong way almost everywhere. Unfortunately it seems COVID is not done with us yet.

16. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

I'd beware of all the "these are the facts" spewing that's going on here, hell I can find a "fact" to justify ANYTHING on the internet. Use your common sense, and mine tell me that we are in a pandemic and this virus just doesn't drop out of the sky above and infect people randomly, so it's not a personal choice anymore to just do what ever the hell you want too and expect this virus to go away. We must start thinking of each other and come together and make the sacrifices (mask, social distance, wash your hands, vaccinated) necessary, or we'll be here next year talking about the same thing......maybe.

WCKDVBZ, ellindril and BBThunderbolt like this.
  17. BSimp603

BSimp603 Initiate (11) Jul 6, 2021
    Trader

I feel like this thread is some sort of trap to weed out a certain section of people with a certain mindset.

Anyway, I voted yes.

jonphisher and 9percenthurdle like this.
  18. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Nope. No antibodies. Some things are non negotiable in my life.
    Also, to say I am throwing all caution to the wind is discrediting the idea that social distancing works. The closest I get to someone is my priest, and he's already immune.

#98 SFACRKnight, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    JayORear, Prep8611 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  19. boyoboyoboy

boyoboyoboy Initiate (7) Sep 13, 2019 Illinois
    Society

I have tickets for an upcoming festival in September. I'm vaccinated but still concerned about the new variant. I'll weigh my final decision based on the spread of the new variant to the area as the event draws closer.

20. availablename

availablename Initiate (85) Aug 20, 2010 Canada (BC)

I had hoped to be back at it this summer, but given the current upswing in cases again, I think I'll have to wait until 2022. Patience and cooperation will get us all through this so much sooner.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  21. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

I voted that I'm ready... but I should qualify that a bit - I'm ready for outdoor beer fests where they are taking proper precautions. I'm not 100% how that might play out (limited attendance? timed entry? Socially distanced lines for beers? Vaccinated only?) but think it should be possible to have a safe festival with the right precautions.

eppCOS and ChiPez66 like this.
  22. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (161) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

I voted "Yes". But I understand people's hesitation to concur.
    I have bought tickets to two upcoming beer festivals: Illinois Craft Brewers' Guild's Beer Under Glass, and Seven Generations Ahead's Oak Park Micro Brew Review.
    Note both of them are outdoors. :beers:
    Nonetheless, I have resumed going to indoor beer bars like Remedy, Sleeping Village, & Gracie O'Malley's; been in indoor tap rooms from Piece, Solemn Oath, Marz, Maplewood, Revolution; and this past weekend saw me at Elder Brwg. in Joliet, IL.; Art History Brwg. in Geneva, IL; and Alarmist Brwg. on W. Peterson Ave. I rode transit there. The largest crowd of people not properly wearing face masks were ones I espied on O'Hare-bound Blue Line "L" trains after that night's Lollapalooza.
    I am fully vaccinated (Moderna); and I also offer my immune system has been enhanced frequently during these past eighteen months. :zipper_mouth:
    You may also notice I did not go to the Chicago Beer Society's "Hazy Days of Summer" event. I had the opportunity to attend the American Breweriana Assoc.'s Convention in Mars, PA. on 9-12 June. I declined; writing its leadership that I felt it was too early, and that a solid percentage of our members had not been vaccinated and might not ever be. {To be blunt, here are the pertinent sentences thereof:
    }
    I suspect each of us who has been fully vaccinated will need a subsequent booster shot. I hope it does not take as long a time as it did to get the initial vaccine.

eppCOS and BBThunderbolt like this.
  23. Resistance88

Resistance88 Devotee (446) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Voted NO only because the bar im at (California) has signs posted that to DRINK HERE starting TOMORROW one must have PROOF of full vaccination or A NEGATIVE COVID TEST RESULT Less than 3 days old. Good luck.

jjpm74 likes this.
  24. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (55) Apr 16, 2018 Canada (ON)

Have a kid under 12 so until my family is all vaccinated this isn't over.

sulldaddy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Just a data point from Colorado this morning, %20 of new covid cases here for the month of July were breakthrough infections of vaccinated people. It reinforces that were aren't over this. We haven't beaten this. Maybe, just maybe, we should be looking towards retaining best practices here and keep up social distancing etc. and not assume we have the silver bullet for the virus.

eppCOS and PapaGoose03 like this.
  26. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (34) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

COVID aside, I have no desire to go to a beer fest in today's craft environment. My guess is that 90% of the beers will be hazy IPAs, smoothie sours and pastry stouts. The remaining 10% is likely to be 'craft' seltzers.

pudgym29, WesMantooth, eppCOS and 8 others like this.
  27. MadtownMaltman

MadtownMaltman Disciple (332) Feb 28, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society

Unfortunately it just doesn't make sense to me at this point given that cases are increasing rapidly and both vaccinated and unvaccinated ppl can pass the virus to others. And who wants possible lingering effects? There are relatives in my family who still have not fully recovered after 8 months. Just not worth it for me. But I am stoked for Lager Fest!

MadMadMike, WCKDVBZ and Todd like this.
  28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,369) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I was picky before COVID, and I'll continue to be picky afterwards. I'm still 'into' the idea of attending a beer festival, but I really need something strong to draw me to attending. Perennial announcing they'll have BA Sump at a local festival for VIP members, then showing up without it has sorta soured me on attending festivals for specific beers. I would attend 2nd Shift's Cask Festival again, hands down. Would still love to visit the big cask festival in Boston too. Not much interest in others though.

29. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,369) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

2nd Shift's cask festival is a little unique in that it was generally an attending brewery's standard beer, but with some sort of twist. Some breweries brought novel beer (not offered in their taproom). Regardless, I really enjoyed the format. Not as traditional as I originally thought, or wanted, but still found it fun to try stouts in different barrels, or a twist on an old favorite beer. Can't help but think with the uptick in lager focus, the cask festival would offer more in that vein. Here's to hoping they put on the festival within the next year.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  30. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

This is just an opinion, so take it for what it's worth. This virus will be here among us as long as we continue to push and believe in personal preference, fears, likes, dislikes as it pertains to the virus. It spreads person to person and common sense tells me that everyone must be on the same page and we must all make the sacrifices necessary to stop it's spread, if we don't it will continue to spread. I'm aware that there are some people around us that can't do what needs to be done through no fault of their own, we must protect them and do whatever we can for them like, wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, and yes get vaccinated.

eppCOS, MadMadMike, sulldaddy and 6 others like this.
  31. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I don't attend beer fests anymore. They got boring. If I did attend them, however, I would be fine with going to one now. I'm vaccinated and in good health. I would, however, hold off on seeing my parents for the two weeks after the festival. They are vaccinated, but are older and not in great health.

32. jjpm74

jjpm74 Initiate (102) Apr 10, 2005 Connecticut

Sad, but true! Fake craft beer has become the dominant fixture on the beer scene, unfortunately.

33. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (155) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

I am surprised to see the poll results indicate most people who attend festivals are not comfortable at this time

34. riptorn

riptorn Zealot (532) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Same here, in light of the the previous poll referenced in the first post of this thread.

Previous poll closed Aug 14, 2020:
    Yes - 67.9% (42.9% ready when allowed + 25% but only when a vaccine is available)
    No - 20.6%
    Don't attend - 11.6%

Current poll as of this post:
    Yes - 43.5% (no qualifier for vaccine being available, cuz it is)
    No - 47.4%
    Don't attend - 9.1%

#114 riptorn, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  35. astrodanzz

astrodanzz Initiate (28) Oct 14, 2020 New York
    Trader

It’s almost as if the entire sun-section of “when the vaccine is available” migrated to “no.” People who wanted to go last year unqualified probably still do.

It also goes to show that we continue to think that right now things aren’t good, but very soon it will improve. But back then it was the fall of 2020 and became sometime in 2021, and now it’s 2022, etc.

2022 and 2023 will not be different. Will our feelings of how to operate change? This way of life will likely continue for at least a generation, and it’ll be up to the next to see if it will persist.

mhucker28, Harrison8 and riptorn like this.
  36. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,077) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

That's a disturbing thought and I hope you are wrong

37. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (501) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

If I did go to beer fests, I would consider going if they just simply required proof of vaccination prior to entry and perhaps limited capacity to reasonable levels if indoors. I kind of hope moving forward, more companies/events start to require vaccination to attend/enjoy various entertainment and/or travel type services in general. Time to start restricting those who are unvaccinated on what they can do/attend/etc...

BBThunderbolt and mhucker28 like this.
  38. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

I just went to a smaller, two hundred person fest this past weekend and it felt good to be back out there. Everything was open air outdoors.

eppCOS, ManBearPat and 9percenthurdle like this.
  39. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (185) Nov 8, 2009 New York

All those inexperienced volunteers and brewery reps pouring beers, putting the tap inside and against the glass, letting it submerge into the beer…made me cringe even before the pandemic.

40. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Aspirant (206) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society

poll notwithstanding - Schilling beer fest sold out in hours....demand still there