Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

armand 4 series - where are they now

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by hooliganlife, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Apr 12, 2007 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I have found Lente to have fall off a lot since fresh. It's been a while since I have had the others. Are are they doing ? Are any improving? Did many of us jump on the hype train too early?

2. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I had some of them (I think Zomer and Lente) recently and they were still excellent examples of 3F geuze. I don't think they've fallen off.
    Yes. Maybe I'm crazy, but I never thought any of them were significantly better than standard OGV (they're all clearly better than similar-age OG).

3. hooliganlife

Beer Trader

When lente was fresh last spring, it blew my mind. Basically a 5.0 rating. Juicy fresh fruit and gueuze character. Had one a year later, it seemed muted and dull.

4. Tnudish

Tnudish Feb 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Herfst is drinking fucking great right now. Might end up being the best one.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  5. hooliganlife

Beer Trader

i believe this, when i first had herfst, i said right away this one had the greatest potential to go far. the mineral character was astonishing.

6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

I had all 4 at the end of December and they were all delicious. I didn't notice a decline in any of them.

GRG1313 likes this.
  7. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Ditto this, although I had them a bit further back in August. Based on my experience with other 3F Geuzes, I can't imagine any of these will be anything less than spectacular for years, if not decades, to come. I've got a Lente marked for my deathbed.

OtisCampbell and callmemickey like this.
  8. callmemickey

callmemickey Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Nah, I don't think so. Are there batches of the regular Oude Geuze sitting in peoples' cellars that might taste better in five years than Lente will? Absolutely. Sometimes we all put too much stock on "special blends" at the expense of the regular offerings, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that the Armand 4's are fantastic. That said, I only have three each of the Armand 4's left, but have dozens and dozens of the regular geuze... better bang for my buck.

9. errantnight

errantnight Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This.

And agree on Lente. Young it sang. Now it's "merely" very good.

10. claaark13

claaark13 Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Thorpe429 likes this.
  11. claaark13

claaark13 Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I sampled a Lente this past weekend and it was still fantastic.

It's just like any lambic/gueuze, it's going to develop over time. Freshly bottled 3F OG taste very young with more of an acidic bite than the 3yr old bottles.

12. Cambrinus

Cambrinus Mar 1, 2013 France

Lente improve with some years

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe