Artbrew - The Keurig Of Homebrewing?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Jason, Mar 30, 2016.

1. mugs1789

mugs1789 Initiate (170) Dec 6, 2005 Maryland

When I want homebrew but don't want to make it myself, I just have my butler brew it for me.

2. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Disciple (394) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

I don't own a bike. The most artisanal thing I do is make beer. Well that plus making insanely delicious casseroles with original recipes that you won't find on the back of a can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup.

I'd consider a Keurig style casserole maker if the ingredients didn't have to be part of a kit.

3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,764) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Ok get the $2700 package and I will take the other 2 as I only have 2 full baths. Hell of a deal I get 2 of these puppies for $900 and can do 2 gallon batches. If we can get someone to take the other 6 I can reduce my commitment down to $866
    /sarcasm

Brew_Betty likes this.
  4. premierpro

premierpro Aspirant (250) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

For people that do not want to put the work in wouldn't it be easier to go to the store? $900.00 buys a lot of beer!

donspublic and psnydez86 like this.
  5. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

This is true!!

6. jnrjr79

jnrjr79 Initiate (69) Feb 23, 2009 Illinois

Hmm. I suppose there's no way to really quantify it, but I view homebrewing as much more of a continuum than a choice between two poles. I know guys who only bust out their equipment and brew a couple of times a year, don't worry about fermentation temperature control, don't worry about water chemistry, etc. I know others (and I assume most of this board is like this) that go "full nerd." But I also know a lot of people in between. Some people might control fermentation temperatures, but don't mess around much with water chemistry. Some might control pH, but not worry about anything else. I'd be the first to admit, as a French major, that I don't have the same science bona fides of a lot of homebrewers. But, I do still control my pH, adjust my water chemistry, use a fermentation temperature controller, etc. Even with all that, I know I am still far from the most scientifically talented brewers out there, and to a certain extent, I may know what I should do to achieve a result without being able, from a chemistry level, to fully understand why certain chemical conditions are more conducive to brewing good beer. To a certain degree, I'm not sure how much it matters. If you know you should hold your pH at around 5.2 and you do it, that may be enough, particularly at the hobbyist level.

But yeah, I do agree this particular device seems aimed at people who want to be pretty hands-off, and I'm not sure I'd feel much pride in my end result if I just pushed a couple of buttons. It would be a pretty interesting contraption for ingredient experiments/variations. One thing that often keeps me from brewing the same batch of beer over and over and varying just one thing is I'm only going to be able to brew once or twice a month, and I don't necessarily want to brew damn near the same beer a bunch of times in a row. With this thing, I think it'd be interesting to feed it the same recipe, but change just one thing with each batch: the base malt, the hops, the yeast, etc. Am I going to spend $1K for that? Nope. But if one landed in my kitchen for free, I could see how it could be fun to mess around with it from that perspective, even if it would never become my "real" brewing rig. (I also don't think it's being marketed for that purpose - I agree with you that it seems marketed to people that want to homebrew but don't want to do a whole lot of work).

donspublic likes this.
  7. psnydez86

@jnrjr79 i think we are now on the same page. Hell I would try it out if one landed on my counter top as well. I would find it interesting picking out all the inadequacy's.

jnrjr79 likes this.
  8. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

I really don't understand this thought process. I'm far into the obsessed side of your brewer categories, but I think this would be insanely useful for an obsessed brewer. Hacking together stuff and being happy about a process sound much more like someone just trying to make beer drinkable. This machine seems perfect to iterate on recipes to learn how different variables affect the end result, so obsessive brewers nail down a recipe before scaling it up to their full system.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  9. psnydez86

To each there own. If you don't have a problem dropping $1000 on a countertop 1 gallon machine....do it. Not for me.

10. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Well $489 is far from $1000. And it's less about being a countertop 1 gallon machine to me and more about being the easiest recipe tester you're going to find.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  11. psnydez86

Sounds like it's gonna really work out great for you. Glad to hear it.

12. donspublic

Society Trader

There is already one of these floating around out there (brewie) and there are people that have dropped 1K+ on it and haven't seen a machine/device show up on their doorstep after 2 years. So somewhat leary of these devices

13. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (502) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Hopefully it works better than the Keurig i bought (and apparently thousands of others)...I have to trick it into brewing a fucking cup of coffee and the clock is off by 4 minutes every day...the only two things i need it to do and it can't figure them out.

psnydez86 and donspublic like this.
  14. donspublic

Society Trader

Yeah still trying to figure that SOB out. Mine is randomly making between 8oz and 10 oz depending on what day I run it when it is always on the same setting. Guess I have to ask if any of these machines have a descaling feature and how many gallons of vinegar it takes to descale