Germany article: In Germany, a US Beer invasion

Discussion in 'Europe' started by smakawhat, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,881) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

boddhitree likes this.
  2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (385) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Thanks for posting. I think they are off in their assessment, though. I've seen baby steps toward the Pale Ale movement here and not much else. The problem - as far as I see it - with Braufactum's cooler is that they sell their 330 ml beers for €3,00+ while a great bottle of 500 ml German beer goes for no more than €1,00. It's nice for a change of pace but not something I'd make a habit of (and I'm a fan of Pale Ales).

I also disagree that the RHG has limited creativity here in some way, although I am a bit of a traditionalist I suppose. The variety that exists here in Germany is nothing to sneeze at, it's just that this variety is not reflected in the average supermarket or beer store (that much I agree with).

One final quibble - does the graph of "Imported Beer Consumed In Germany" include Corona? Because if so, does that even count...?

Interesting article I guess. Not sure I buy it.

LBerges likes this.
  3. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (290) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Having sold imported beer in Germany for quite a few years, I can tell you that the increase is not due to US brands or styles. No one gives a shit about macros like Miller or Bud, or any US craft beer for that matter. The numbers reflect a few players, namely Guinness, Budvar, Staropramen, Pilsner Urquell and possibly Desperados (French). Maybe Breznak (also Czech) and Zywiec (Polish) have made in-roads, not sure, I've been gone for 5 years now. In the meantime, maybe Corona is gaining momentum, but the Czechs are the big players on the import market.

LBerges, Gutes_Bier and boddhitree like this.
  4. Gutes_Bier

I see a lot of Corona on the shelves here. I assume they must be doing OK, as a plethora of the big German brewers seem to have suddenly been putting out a clear-bottled "Gold" products, which I always took as an attempt to regain whatever Corona might be taking away. That said, I've only been here two and a half years so maybe this is nothing new.

5. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,002) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

The knockoffs may be new(ish), but people have been shelling out 2x the price of a 0.5 l Kellerbier for a 12 oz. Corona for decades. When we were studying there, my buddy and I always got accused of being "boring" because we would rather hang at Schlenkerla with the septuagenarians than with the cool kids drinking whatever beer was all the rage. Come to think of it...nothing's really changed on that front either. ;)

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,732) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

“The turnaround is shaking big German brewers, many of whom like to brag that they are the best in the world. Upstarts are using another b-word, boring, to explain why consumption has been sliding from its 1976 heights.”

Did boddhitree write this article!?!;)

Cheers!

boddhitree likes this.
  7. PancakeMcWaffles

PancakeMcWaffles Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2012 Germany

Braufaktum is not the solution for the German beer world in my opinion.
    They always pull the "we are the first ones to brew craft beer in germany" thing - ehhhhh?
    Of course braufactums prices are silly. Don't you see how they want to give "craft beer" the image of something "Gourmet" and posh? The price is one of the things that makes it look posh. Honestly - Good beer does not have to be a luxury thing! It's probably more expensive than Fernsehbier, but in my opinion the braufactum beers are not worth the money :rolleyes:
    It's up to the small and local brewers to make the first steps, not to a massive company trying to create some craft-image brand.
    Cheers!

8. Gutes_Bier

Agreed all around. Braufactum's Colonia is probably the only beer from them I'd ever buy again (at least I think it was the Colonia).

9. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,002) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

That "memorable" eh? ;)

10. Gutes_Bier

:D One of them was good, I just forget which one. I bought a handful at the same time, but I don't write reviews or take notes or anything so I have to go from memory, and this was a little ways back now. Their smoked wheat beer, which won the Smoked Beer gold at the WBC (if I remember correctly) did not do anything at all for me although in fairness Schlenkerla's smoked wheat is probably my least favorite of their beers, too.

11. Gutes_Bier

This sentence exactly drove me crazy about this piece. What upstarts? Upstarts in Germany? Upstarts in America? Who is he talking about? Why didn't he go to these "upstarts" for a quote? No offense to the author, but what a waste of a sentence. The whole article just reads like an advertisement for Braufactum.

Then again, I do tend to get defensive about the b-word.

boddhitree and herrburgess like this.
  12. Gutes_Bier

:oops: Just realized there was a "page 2" to the article! :oops: again. The author at least does quote someone using the b-word, but still he never gives the person more weight than an "attendee at the tasting". Was he an American living abroad? Or a German brewer? Either way, I still don't buy his article, on a lot of grounds.

Edit: lol, I need to learn to read. Attendee in question started a beer rating website. I'll stop now. But I still don't like the author's point.

13. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (188) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

3 Euro for a bottle of Brooklyn lager sure sounds a bit steep, especially for a country known for its rock bottom prices on beer and virtually non-existant beer taxes. I guess with small volumes they might feel the need to charge a premium, but if American west coast breweries can sell their beer at the monopoly here for little over 2 Euro per bottle (Lagunitas, Anchor), which are sold in very limited volumes, I fail to see why the price couldn't be more reasonable in Germany. If Brooklyn's price tag is any indication of what prices are like for other American imports I'd be surprised if there's any growth at all in that segment of the market.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  14. LBerges

LBerges Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Germany

Some figures about beer import in Germany
    Nr. 1 is Denmark (> 30% of all beer import), mainly Tuborg, Carlsberg; most sold in the north
    Nr. 2 and 3 are Belgium and Czech Rep. (15-20% each), PU and the usual suspects already named.
    Nr. 4 is Holland, I forgot the name of the beer, it started with H... :)
    Next are Austria, UK, France and Ireland.
    Figures are not up to date, Poland has catched up a lot in the last years.
    You see: The import beer comes from the neighbourhood, simply due to transport costs
    Mexbeer has a small share, and U.S. beer has even a smaller one.

The WP article is wide of the mark. It's the "They have better cars, but now be beat them" attitude.
    Some Americans are even proud that they sell California wine in France, and there is a rumour that a bottle of Bourbon was seen in a bar in Glasgow, but who really cares?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More