As the craft beer landscape continues to shift, Dale’s Pale Ale gets a new look

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by officerbill, Jan 12, 2020.

1. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (434) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

As the craft beer landscape continues to shift, Dale’s Pale Ale gets a new look
    "Gone are the mountains and the words “Rocky Mountain Pale Ale.” The whimsical “Oskar Blues Brewery” font has also been cleaned up and transformed into an easier-to-read logo, situated on a rectangular shield at the bottom of the can.
    You’ll see new cans and packaging for Oskar Blues’ other beers, too. Old Chub, the brewery’s Scotch ale, now dons a blue, green and red Scottish tartan. Mama’s Little Yella Pils, the Bohemian Pilsner, has been given a retro, 1970s vibe in orangish-yellow, while the G’Knight Imperial Red IPA has a simple green motif featuring a forest of trees."
    https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/01/10/dales-pale-ale-rebrand/231769/
    Every middle-ager wants a make over
    Decent article/press release about changing to stay noticed and relevant

"That innovation led to popular new products like ... Wild Basin, a line of hard seltzers."
    Of course they did

I prefer SN PA over Dale's. Mama's is a pretty good pils, but it doesn't scream 1970's.

Roguer, tolar111, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,913) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Where's the pic of the new MLYP label? I assume it's the label, not the recipe, that has the "70s vibe".

officerbill likes this.
  3. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (434) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

[​IMG]

Quick rundown of each beer’s new duds
    • The new-look Dale’s Pale Ale embraces its all-American identity in bolder-than-ever red, white and blue, and is stylistically called out for the first time as an “American Pale Ale.”
    • Mama’s Little Yella Pils has been reimagined with retro 1970’s vibes that affirm the drinkability of this Czech-style pilsner from sunrise to sunset and vice-versa.
    • Old Chub Scotch Ale returns to its roots as a malt-forward, tartan-sporting ale for public houses everywhere.
    • G’Knight Imperial Red IPA honors the story of real-life legend Gordon Knight (brewer, friend of Oskar Blues, and hero firefighter) with a forested backdrop of vibrant green.
    • On the innovative side of the lineup, the Can-O-Bliss IPA series cans project psychedelic amounts of hop oils in a heady swirl to highlight premier hop varieties that appear throughout the series. This month, the series will transition from Can-O-Bliss Citrus IPA to Can-O-Bliss Tropical IPA, a tropical paradise in a can made with Mosaic, Azacca, Galaxy, El Dorado and Idaho 7 hops.
    • Newcomers One-y 100 Calorie Hazy IPA and Rosé for Daze Rosé Ale hit shelves in 2019 with the new design format. A hopped-up event horizon surrounds a utilitarian black hole on the One-y can – a hint at the cosmic brewing wizardry required to pack a massive payload of hops into a 100-calorie spaceship. The petal pink of the Rosé for Daze can matches the spritzy, rosé-inspired beer inside.

from this article press release https://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/news/oskar-blues-brewery-just-redesigned-its-logo-cans-and-packaging/

#3 officerbill, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,913) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, that's "1970s" OK (decade had some good aspects but "design" sure wasn't one).

"MOMA - the Museum of Modern Art has a brewery?"
    "No, it Mona's Pils. Like Bo Diddley's Mona..."
    "Or is it Nonna's Pils? WTF is that? Italian Grandmother's brewery?"

Think I'd have gone with the 1870s vibe for a Pils...
    [​IMG]

eppCOS, mikeinportc, rgordon and 4 others like this.
  5. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,619) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I think they did a really nice job with the redesigns.

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,990) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Dale's recipe has changed over the years, imho. I remember first having It and it had a solid malt backbone. Now a days, it's much more bitter and creeps into IPA territory.

On a side note, I drank a couple of pints of Fumble Brewski at the Old Chicago today. The more I drink it, the more I like it.

7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

An OB rep once told me that the brewery has always considered it a IPA, but inserting the word India disrupted the pattern of Dales Pale Ale.

8. Bitterbill

Society Trader

More of an English style IPA back in the day then. :wink: The malt has been lacking for a few years now.

ESHBG, beertunes and beergoot like this.
  9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,006) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I have the snickers like hiccups.

10. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,175) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

That's a good look for the whole Oscar Blues line. I like it when the new look is an improvement over the old. Too often the old is better than the new (I'm looking at you Troegs). Haven't seen any Dale's around ... hopefully I can revisit soon.

11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,137) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Favorite thing about a retooling of labels on beers like this is I won't have to check the date on dales cans for at least a month when these show up.
    I'm trying to drink at home and for cheaper this year so fresh Oscar blues are a projected staple, especially with can o bliss surprising me in a good way and ol chub hopefully reappearing around here

12. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (198) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah and I miss that earlier iteration. It was great!

ESHBG and Bitterbill like this.
  13. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Savant (941) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

The green can will always be Gordon to me.

14. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,017) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

How 'bout some new(ish) beer , <4(6+?) months old? :thinking_face::wink:

officerbill likes this.
  15. considerbeer

considerbeer Initiate (38) Dec 15, 2016 Colorado

Didn’t they publicly and transparently tweak the old “Czech-style” recipe into a more German-style recipe for Mama’s?

officerbill likes this.
  16. considerbeer

Funny, every time I’ve had this beer over the last couple years I’ve considered it antiquated with its heavy-handed caramel malt. It’s also been very bitter as far back as I can remember. I thought it was a Red IPA the first time I had it.

meefmoff and Bitterbill like this.
  17. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,508) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

It’s a very tasteful style update.

I’ve never been a fan of the beer though.

tolar111 and JediMasterLenin like this.
  18. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (51) May 15, 2018 Virginia

New designs look good, I like that they still resemble the old designs so they are still easily recognizable.

Singlefinpin and JediMasterLenin like this.
  19. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Aspirant (282) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

Looks good, especially the Mama's and Old Chub.

Mister_Faucher likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,318) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Below is what @beergoot posted in a past thread:

"Just had a good phone conversation with Tim Matthews, OB's head of brewing operations.

In a nut shell, OB decided to change the formulation to more accurately mirror a true Bavarian/Bohemian pilsner styling. Tim considers the new styling more of a hybrid -- Bavarian with the malt change selection and Bohemian with the hops (still Saaz).

He had a lot of technical information that I was frantically trying to write down, but in essence, he and the other brewers were looking to change the beer to something they liked, a cleaner, authentic pilsner styling. One of the things they changed was the water profile, making it match the waters in Bavaria (on a side note, Tim also visited Bavaria, Bohemia, and other areas last year to study the brewing process as well as to source a cleaner version of Saaz hops). They also were looking to loose the esters in the older styling and give the new version a chance to highlight the hops, especially the aroma."

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/mamas-little-yella-pils-reformulated.556715/

Cheers!

21. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,142) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I'm also looking at Sam Adams. I'll never forgive them for what they did to the Old Fezziwig label.

More on topic, I love the Old Chub glass in the link in the OP.

RobHB likes this.
  22. considerbeer

Tim graciously breaks down a lot of this change in a recent Craft Beer & Brewing Magazine Podcast episode: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...magazine-podcast/id1296082082?i=1000458918421

Sounds like they used to do some bittering with Sterling, but started blending in Aramis instead around 2014. Later, in 2016, they started sourcing German-grown Saaz types (the “cleaner” Saaz mentioned above). They have also adjusted the water profile and incorporated higher quality Pilsner malts.

This is one of the most informative podcast interviews from a brewer of Tim’s stature that I’ve ever listened to. Highly recommended.

Jamie asks about Mama’s around the 10 minute mark and they talk about the changes for several minutes.

23. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (39) Dec 5, 2019

I enjoy a classic West Coast pale ale, but for me Dale's was waayyyy to syrupy/resinous. I tried it recently after not having one for nearly 10 years, and I poured it right down the drain.

This new design is an improvement.

ESHBG likes this.
  24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,990) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hmmm. I am going to have to revisit Mama based on this. I had it a few years ago and didn't care for it all that much. This is intriguing enough to get me to revisit.

officerbill likes this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  26. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (101) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Right here with you. Getting rid of that jolly old English fellow on the label in favor of...words was a dumb move.

Back on topic, this label refresh is pretty good and has me more eager to get a sixer of Mama's Little Yella than I was a few months ago.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. Bitterbill

Society Trader

28. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (313) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Drinking a Can O' Bliss right now. I like the beer, and the price.

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. AlcahueteJ

I hope you kept the can at least. :wink:

Bitterbill and officerbill like this.
  30. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (357) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

The Troegs redesign was so much better than this garish font soup but people are still mad about it. I'm guessing it's because the Troegs art/design, despite being so much cleaner and more consistent and more tasteful, does have like a 3% lean towards the feminine side, and dudes won't be having that on their IPA. I mean Oscar Blues does have a pink can but it's for the girl beer so it's cool.

31. JackHorzempa

Society

And Troegs has yet another re-design for Nugget Nectar:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

mikeinportc, RobHB and Bitterbill like this.
  32. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (261) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I don’t think that’s accurate Jack. Packaging looks the same as it has for several years. That is just a new poster.

33. JackHorzempa

Society

You could be right here. The fist on hops aspect was on past packaging but the other stuff around it is different. It very well may be a difference of a beer label vs. a poster thing.

I will be on the lookout to see what 2019 - 2020 beer labels look like; they should be at my local Retail Beer Distributors soon (today?).

Cheers!

mikeinportc and Hoos78 like this.
  34. beerwego

: )

Twas the old can

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  35. AlcahueteJ

Was the beer old too then?

36. beerwego

Nope. It was the seemingly fresh and beast of a pale ale. Perhaps on a different day and mood I was have appreciated how rough the beer is. Dunno

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. jglenn73

jglenn73 Initiate (108) Jul 28, 2015 New Jersey

I wonder how much the updating or rebranding of beer, or other products actually affects the sales? Obviously there is some money spent on researching and design. Is it worth the cost?

38. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (256) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

If done correctly it works and is worth the cost. Shelf space is very crowded and if you can stand out not only do you attract new customers but you can also draw back customers who haven't had your product in a while. Even negative reactions to redesigns have been shown to generate sales because the talk can create some buzz.

39. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (256) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

And count me in as another who had some fresh Dale's recently and I didn't really enjoy it, too abrasive for me...I don't remember it being like that at all but it's been years since I had it prior to that one so who knows.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Zealot (516) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

the can-o-bliss and rose have popped up around in those cans recently and i'm quite the fan, really the whole line up looks nice though i can't get behind the mama's for some reason. hopefully them redesigning treats them better than when Stag redid their logo and made just about every person over 35 in the area mad.
    also i love dale's pale but it does feel ever so different each time i get around to picking some up.