Aslin Beer Co. Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Dirtyhands, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Wish their descriptions included things like what hops are used or I don't know ABV, rather than some 5th grade level creative writing.

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  2. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Or at least the beer style and ABV, which isn't too difficult to find but still. Would also be nice to know the # of cases.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  3. FatSkippy

FatSkippy Initiate (33) Mar 21, 2005 New York

My cringe muscles are still sore from reading yesterday's descriptions

Gumbo_gravy and hoppytobehere like this.
  4. siege06nd

siege06nd Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia

Champion of the Sun smells like farts. What would cause that?

5. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Farting while drinking?

siege06nd likes this.
  6. Beers-es

Seriously, I get that too, kind of like a diesel, new rubber kind of thing. Hopefully it will tone down in a few days, because it doesn't smell great. Tastes really good though.

7. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Farts aside, how is this batch of Orange Starfish?

8. siege06nd

On point. Delicious. As is Laser Raptors.

Champion of the Sun is off tho. Not surprising if this is the first one brewed on the expanded set up.

duceswild likes this.
  9. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland

Laser raptors is impressing me more than last batch.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  10. Beers-es

Yeah, crap. When I got there at 4:30 all they had was Champion so I bought 16 cans.

11. siege06nd

I sent an email. Awaiting response.

Beers-es likes this.
  12. i_run_far

Deactivated

Quite a few comments on Untappd commenting on the COTS aroma, none of them good.

13. Beers-es

I'd be interested in hearing the response.

ElijahSF likes this.
  14. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Well they're still selling COTS for growler fills today, so I guess either they don't agree with people's assessment of the beer, of they don't care.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  15. siege06nd

Heard back. They said they would look into it and fairly quickly wrote again indicating they have found issues in a minority of cans. There are no issues with what is on draft.

They said they will continue to investigate but offered a refund. I am going to wait until I open more cans and see how pervasive it is before I make up my mind on requesting a refund.

Aslin continues to provide great customer service. They were very communicative and I'm confident they'll figure out the issue and dial it in.

16. Beers-es

Growlers don't have the issue, and COTS tastes excellent from the fill. Perhaps an issue with the canning line.

siege06nd and beernuts like this.
  17. Beers-es

They definitely care, way more than most places.

18. siege06nd

Yep I agree completely. Very impressed with Aslin. May not even take the refund, just means a lot they offered.

In @beernuts defense, he has PTSD from his BCB Horizon Society experience.

Beers-es likes this.
  19. i_run_far

Deactivated

Just opened a can, smells worse than I imagined. Not sure if it's even worth drinking.

20. i_run_far

Deactivated

The rotten egg/fart smell dissipated a bit after sitting in my glass for a while but the beer is still subpar for aslin.

21. Beers-es

Drinking a can of Orange Starfish now, it's freaking amazing.

siege06nd likes this.
  22. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

That and the growler of Schooner I bought last weekend.

23. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I'm gonna give it a week on the COTS. It smelled stinky for really just a second but by the time it got to my glass and I sat down that was all gone.

I think releasing the beers <24hrs after canning is a big part of the issue here. EVERYTHING I've had crowler/bottle/can has dramatically improved with a week of conditioning in my fridge. I'm not saying leave them in your car in the summer for 2 months, but if you can fridge them and wait a week I for one believe COTS has has a good chance of having that blow off (no pun intended).

siege06nd and hoppytobehere like this.
  24. i_run_far

Deactivated

Has anyone noticed any improvement with COTS? Hesitant to open another can.

25. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (44) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

It hit or miss with my cans of COTS, some smell fine others smell like straight up butt. Will crack more this weekend, hopefully they all smell fine.

26. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (36) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

I've opened 4 cots so far. All smell and taste great. Hope the rest are the same.
    Looking forward to Thursday's release.

27. thomas2357

thomas2357 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia

Thursday's release looks great. I hope if I get there a bit after 3, I'll still be in luck.

28. i_run_far

Deactivated

Based on the past releases, proboably but since they stopped posting the total number of cases per beer, it's hard to say with confidence. Seems there are typically about 180-200 allotments per beer but I don't know if that is before or after accounting for the mug club pre-sales.

thomas2357 likes this.
  29. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Well that was lame. First Aslin can release for me, got here a little after 2:30, and they ran out of Master of Oranges before I got to the front. Maybe they should've noticed how many people were in line and cut the limit from an unprecedented 12 per person? This is dumb. I won't be doing this again.

30. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

I just wrote on their facebook post that they should've considered lowering the limits. You have every right to be mad/disappointed especially when they don't post case counts. 2:30 would've been completely early enough. I've gotten to every release I've gone to (3 total) at like 3:00-3:30 and I've walked away with full counts everytime. But with no case counts you can't make the decision to either 1 stay home or 2 get there even earlier

ElijahSF and thomas2357 like this.
  31. thomas2357

thomas2357 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia

I got there at 3:00 and probably wasn't too far behind you. I knew i ran the risk of being shut out, but I'd be pissed if I was you. I don't understand why they would allow 12 of one beer and 8 of the other if the amounts of each were equal. Every single person was buying the max amount. Should of just made it 8 of each beer.

ElijahSF likes this.
  32. Ianrem7

Ianrem7 Initiate (17) Feb 14, 2016 Connecticut

Yeah is there a strategy on their part for not releasing case counts? I just can't understand that. I saw several people ask. They may very well have a good explanation but every brewery does it and I can't think of the harm.

thomas2357 likes this.
  33. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

Glad, I skipped this release. I get the whole "changing the limits isn't fair to the people who came early" but it does seem odd to have such high limits when they aren't doing fills or house pours, they don't release case counts, and they sell out within hours of a release.

34. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

Like I said release limits and total cases the day before. They're canning 2-3 days before so they know what they have. Everybody can then plan accordingly.

35. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland

I'm liking master of oranges. Dank and fruity.

Beers-es likes this.
  36. duceswild

duceswild Meyvn (1,126) Feb 8, 2010 Heard & McDonald Islands
    Trader

Agree was very surprised they didn't drop the limits on Master of Oranges once they saw the line. As I was getting to the front it seemed as if they kept coming out to check the line, but didn't make any decisions to modify limits. Definitely a number of people getting shut out today of this and Mind the Hop

VABA and thomas2357 like this.
  37. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

It always baffles me that breweries don't drop their limits when they can see in advance that there's a shit storm a-brewin'. Especially after all the flak Hardywood took from the 2015 KCM release, you'd think the local breweries would be wiser with this.

ElijahSF likes this.
  38. i_run_far

Deactivated

If they changed the limits after they sold to mug club members would that be fair? I don't think so. That said, they should at least post the number of cases available after they sell to the mug club, then people can make a more in formed decision on waiting in line/driving to the release.

Getting shut out sucks but it's going to happen no matter what when the demand exceeds the supply.

duceswild and FLASHMSTRC like this.
  39. nimbleprop

nimbleprop Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2008 District of Columbia

I was there yesterday, arrived at 3:10. About 35 people away when Master of Oranges sold out. Then I was one of the final four to get Mind the Hop. When they officially sold out, it wasn't even 4pm and there were 65+ people still in line. I should note, I was fine getting 8 cans of Mind. Just beer.

Without lower limits, this will get crazier. People will get in line earlier and earlier and next time 2pm will be the cut off for a 3pm release. They are selling out either way, why not drop limits to make sure everyone can get some? Seemed a little short sighted for me.

duceswild, Gumbo_gravy and thomas2357 like this.
  40. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Not sure if this has been the norm (haven't been over there in months) but last Sat was a breeze. They had three IPA's on, so I expected more of a crowd which was not the case. I was in line around 10:50am, and was out with my fills by 11:10am. There was about 15 people in front of me, and I was basically at the end of the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.