Aslin Beer Co. Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Dirtyhands, Jun 20, 2016.

1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (738) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Wish Ocelot would distribute cans to a few places locally like Solace does. Their beers are incredible but man that is a far drive for me.

Sheppard, Beers-es, Sage954 and 3 others like this.
  2. MeanDeuce

MeanDeuce Initiate (56) Dec 4, 2013 Virginia

I felt Lucky You and Mi Corazon had great potential the first time around. If these new versions built on those initial versions, that's wonderful news.

3. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (33) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

I was at ocelot last night after dropping a friend at Dulles. Mi Corazon, Vandals, and Lean on Me On Me were very good. I wish they distributed as well. Not an easy trip from MD.

4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (21) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Can someone inform me on what makes Aslin's winter beer garden thing, 'family friendly'? I've looked through the IG posts and I see no mention of food or entertainment (may have missed but certainly not in the recent post).

5. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (168) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia

Children are allowed to run around unsupervised while their parents get hammered on 13% pastry stouts.

johnyb, b-mc-g, Sheppard and 8 others like this.
  6. Topease

Topease Initiate (83) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

They're too busy scaring each other to post any actual details.

Darwensi, beerman2017 and srw like this.
  7. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (149) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

Planning a Christmas Eve run when in town later this week. Are they still experiencing a QC issue?

8. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (248) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

I too have been hoping that Ocelot would expand their canning capacity and distribute, but have never heard they intend to. Anyone know if they're thinking about it?

I was surprised at how big Solace's space is.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  9. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (330) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

We get Ocelot cans in Richmond but its pretty sporatic, definitely not every release. I wish we got them more though, I think they’re one of the best breweries in the state.

b-mc-g likes this.
  10. hoppytobehere

Like why would you build a decently large brewery in the middle of nowhere with no plans to distribute? Is demand on-site really that high?

11. beernuts

Trader

I wouldn’t call Loudoun the middle of nowhere, there are a lot of people with a lot of money that live out there. The last few times I went to Ocelot before I moved away they were packed.

12. LanguedocRocks

They usually have a decent crowd in there throughout the week. Weekends are always busy. Their cans don't sell out day of, but they do move pretty fast. FWIW they seem to send a lot of kegs out. I see their beer on tap all over the place now.

Probably my favorite brewery in the area to go and hang out at. They have the best flights around. Big pours and cheap.

Evb721, ArlVABeerGuy and Beers-es like this.
  13. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (361) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Premium

If you live in NoVA, check out Dominion Wine and Beer in Falls Church — they regularly get in Ocelot kegs and will fill crowlers for most of them.

Beers-es and thomas2357 like this.
  14. joerooster

I don't go often anymore but I haven't had anything terrible/undrinkable since spring 2017, so no significant qc issues as far as I know.

Edit: daiquiri was awful but I don’t think that was a qc issue

Darwensi and thomas2357 like this.
  15. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (241) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I love Aslin and indeed stopped in to get some cans during that Winter beer garden thing, but man that may have been the sorriest beer event I've ever observed.

16. LanguedocRocks

I do. Those dude's get a lot of my money.

thomas2357 and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  17. Sheppard

Sheppard Champion (881) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia

I also don't understand how they promote their business. Haven't used Twitter since April. Only periodic posts on Instagram. I guess they use Facebook? Their website is super basic. It would be nice if they had their to go stock in addition to their taplist...

18. RKP1967

Apparently they promote their business by having beer geeks talk about them on an Aslin thread.

19. joerooster

They seem to regularly update their tap list on their homepage and the can releases are posted on the calendar which on the homepage as well. I usually call if I want to make sure they have cans before heading out there, they are open daily.

Sheppard likes this.
  20. ryno62474

ryno62474 Initiate (72) Oct 8, 2008 Pennsylvania

two things, quality control at Aslin? news to me. Does anybody have particulars on this?
    and Ocelot in the middle of nowhere? what is that all about? The entire corridor is very populated and very wealthy, and the website is pretty up to date, facebook has release info. great brewery with great beer. laid back fun place to hang and throw darts.

thomas2357 likes this.
  21. joerooster

When they started to ramp up production in Spring 2017 they put out a number of bad beers,I personally experienced the following:

Neutrino, DoS and MoO with a ton of throat burning sediment in the cans
    Session IPA with a lot of unfermented sugar in it (Schooner or something like that)
    Champ. of the Sun with a fart/burned rubber aroma
    MoK that tasted/smelled like rotten vegetables

I know some people had overcarbed cans of one of the Johann beers, resulting from the cans getting warm the the beer refermenting.

You can probably dig around in this thread and find some posts about these beers, Feb through May 2017 time frame.

22. beernuts

Trader

This is the one that really soured me on Aslin because I feel like they lied about what it was. It was obviously a DIPA that stalled during fermentation for whatever reason, so they released it anyway and called it a “session IPA”. But it was like drinking sugar water, I bought a growler and couldn’t even drink a single pour of it. With their growler prices it really made me feel like I was intentionally ripped off.

23. joerooster

I guess I never really connected the dots but that makes a lot of sense, they even marketed is as a Session IPA with the body of a DIPA. I recall when I was buying beers that day, one of the owners was at standing near the checkout hyping it up, telling everyone that didn't buy it that they were missing out.

"This luscious beer has the body and mouthfeel of a DIPA, but is only 4%. It’s packed full of sweetness and CITRA LUPLIN POWDER for a killer tropical aroma and flavor."

24. beernuts

Trader

I actually don’t think I ever saw that description, I wish I had before I bought the growler.

25. hoppytobehere

Yeah dude an industrial park west of Dulles is middle of fucking nowhere for normal people. Do you live in the woods or something

26. ryno62474

That’s hilariously bro. You got it.

27. ryno62474

I’ve noticed a change in master of karate’s body but the flavor profile is quite similar throughout the expansion for me. Master of oranges, dundey and double orange I’ve tasted nothing at all different.

These are the exact same things people got on treehouse about when they expanded. I do believe people go on the attack when breweries go bigger. It all still taste great to me.

#2027 ryno62474, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Sheppard likes this.
  28. RKP1967

What an odd thing to say.

If you were one of the 400K people who live in Loudoun County, the county with the highest household income in America, you probably wouldn't consider it middle of fucking nowhere.

thomas2357 likes this.
  29. hoppytobehere

Geez sorry for offending the locals. But it's surrounded by forest and Dulles Airport. Guess I need to check out the sights and culture in *looks at map* Brambleton (?) next time I'm out that way

Redondo_Terp likes this.
  30. RKP1967

You must be a typical a-hole city dwelling snob that has to say condescending stuff to suburbanites to get his jollies. (Not that all city dwellers are that way.) Sigh, maybe someday you'll grow up!

31. hoppytobehere

I said I was sorry, Mr. Brambleton

Redondo_Terp, Topease and PhilBallins like this.
  32. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (81) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Just saw Ocelot releasing two new ones this week on Instagram. I echo the frustration here that you don't know if the previously released cans are available. I guess I could call them, but c'mon....it's 2019. Moonlight Drive looked intriguing, but getting to Ocelot is a pain since you have to loop around Dulles A/P. You never know what kind of traffic you'll hit.
    *I realize this is still an Aslin thread. :slight_smile:

Beers-es likes this.
  33. Sheppard

Sheppard Champion (881) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia

I just did a search of "Ocelot" on this forum and the two threads that came up were this one and Triple Crossing. I feel like if you're not managing your social media channels well, you're not going to have a thread on BA. On the flipside, when I asked them via Facebook what cans they had available besides the ones they released last week (Moonlight Drive and Gorgeous & Alone), they were quick to respond (Sunnyside). Anyway, I would just ask them on FB if you have any questions.

As far as Aslin, I thought about stopping by last week, but I wasn't digging their list. Stouts are in season, but I'm not looking to grab all high abv beers. If they had a BSB or One Time in Ontario available, I certainly would've stopped in. Glad to see they have good availability though.

34. hoppytobehere

They posted pics of their Alexandria space on instagram, it's just an empty warehouse right now, but it looks massive compared to their Herndon setup.

Sheppard likes this.
  35. joerooster

Have they mentioned a time frame of when they expect to open? Or was it just pics? I must have missed them if they were in a ‘story’.

36. hoppytobehere

No clue on timeline. But there's literally nothing there yet so it is gonna be a while. It's a featured story so you can still view it.

37. Beers-es

Beers-es Crusader (748) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Had a pour of VelociRabbit last night at Dominion and it was <fire emoji>. Tons of flavor at 5.5%.

38. RKP1967

I wish these guys were half as good at construction as they are at beer.