Aslin Beer Co. Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Dirtyhands, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Is this based off your own experience or from pictures on IG, Untappd, etc? I wouldn’t put much stock in online photos, things like lighting can make a big difference. Not saying they don’t have issues with consistency as I’ve had my fair share of bad aslin beer to the point my purchases have gone from 2-3 4 packs per week to less than 1 every 2-3 months.

Sheppard likes this.
  2. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (283) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Any insight on the bogus UT reviews of Honolulu? I am unfamiliar with aslin beef online.

3. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

What makes you think they’re bogus?

Devman171 likes this.
  4. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Just read a bunch of people ripping Honolulu there. Interesting. I’m a fan of some of their non-flavored stouts, but the others are way too sweet for me. Makes me really want to try this one now, lol. But....$25.

5. joerooster

Which ones are bogus? The 5 cap ratings from the people who bought multiple bottles are the only ratings I’d be suspect of.

Devman171, montman and Sheppard like this.
  6. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

When there's about five guys in a row who all seem to be friends, all ripping it with the use of the word "paint," it seems a little dubious.

Dark_Scarecrow and thomas2357 like this.
  7. Dark_Scarecrow

Dark_Scarecrow Devotee (401) Jul 19, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

I would agree. It seemed like the ratings rippers were drinking it together in Maryland. Not sure how much faith I would put in it. (not a knock on Maryland - just looks like a bottle was shared out of state)
    I did have a chance to try Honolulu at a friends get together over the weekend. No one claimed a 'paint' or unusual flavor present in the beer. I thought it was pretty good. About the same reaction for the others in attendance. That being said, I have had other Aslin stouts that I liked better. My rating came in at 4.44 on BA. A good stout, but short of world class ranking to me. I do not think it is a polarizing beer as the Untapped ratings might suggest.

#2047 Dark_Scarecrow, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Lupin likes this.
  8. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,359) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Yeah, there are recent ones that say paint so you could have an echo chamber there, but there are also check ins further back that also say paint. Coconut seems to be a tricky adjunct to use and has to toe the line of delicious and sun tan lotion. I personally have never heard paint as a descriptor, but I also haven't had Honolulu so I can't say for sure who is right or wrong. There are people 5 capping it to counterbalance the "vengeance" seekers. I don't know where this vengeance seeker theory came up.

Had DOS on Saturday and must say that it was stellar. MoK was less my jam. DOS is one of the better uses of galaxy I've had in a while.

9. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

So a bunch of people drank the beer together and none of them liked it, I don’t see what makes that bogus. There are a lot of bad reviews on untappd too, too many for it to be some kind of conspiracy. The only Aslin stouts I’ve ever had have been terrible so it seems believable to me.

10. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (283) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

It was suggested on a FB thread and there were a bunch of 0.25 ratings in a row. The only beers I've ever rated a 0.25 have been infected/drain pours that were sold on bad faith.

Slack and Dark_Scarecrow like this.
  11. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Had Dunley Place at Dominion the other night. Fantastic batch.

mig100 likes this.
  12. joerooster

Any news on the Alexandria location? Looks like they had started building out the space a couple months ago but no recent updates on IG.

The downtown Herndon location looks like a landfill.

13. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

They just posted an update a few min ago. Doesn't look like much progress. It's gonna be a long time before it's up and running I predict

14. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Last week, I asked about Herndon. Said they've been resubmitting plans - good luck on that one.

15. hoppytobehere

Laughing at the mental image of neckbeards lining up to pay $85 for an Aslin skate deck

16. thomas2357

thomas2357 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia

I have no clue what a good one costs, is $85 extremely inflated?

17. hoppytobehere

Yes, by quite a bit. A blank deck is like $30, and a branded one with graphics could go for like $50.

thomas2357 likes this.
  18. Slack

Slack Savant (943) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Seems like prices have come down a bit...my 14 yr old self spent $120 for a Tony hawk deck, risers, trucks, and spitfire wheels from CCS

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  19. alexsergio

alexsergio Poo-Bah (1,585) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

Dear Aslin locals,

Thanks to my fave trader(he’s posted on this page), I’ve been able to rate over 50 Aslin offerings in the past six months or so. While all styles have been superb, I can’t name another brewery who has executed these pastry stouts on their level. Finishing a cocoa mostra now...simply delicious. Almost ho hum though, because I love all of these big stouts from them. Alcohol hidden all too well. All 4.4 and higher for me.
    I have no interest in the skate decks, but I’ll glady take any beer they make. NYC access means I live in beer heaven, but if I had to move, I’d head somewhere between Richmond and Aslin. :beers::beers::beers:

20. hoppytobehere

Unless I'm mistaken it's just the deck for $85

21. joerooster

Yep, just a standard 7 ply deck for $92.xx after tax. For comparison local shop Alpine Ski sells their store branded decks for $40, 7 ply pro model decks usually go for $50. Complete boards usually around $100 with standard parts.

$85 is a fucking rip off, they should be embarrassed for asking that. Wonder if it includes free grip tape?

22. Sheppard

Trader

It looked like they had just finished with digging through the concrete for the drains.

23. hoppytobehere

[​IMG]

I just don't even know anymore

b-mc-g likes this.
  24. Sheppard

Trader

Breweries are trying to brand all sorts of things nowadays. Brewer's QVC would have some shit right now. Skateboard decks, Oven mitts, eggs.

b-mc-g and hoppytobehere like this.
  25. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Around the time they first released maple syrup, I recall they did an interview or something where they said they wanted to branch out into all sorts of other products. Can't say this is what I imagined when I read that.

b-mc-g likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.