Aslin Beer Company (2021)

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Slack, Jan 1, 2021.

1. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (106) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

I bought a 4 pack of Nuances of Meaning the other day at Wegman's. Very disappointed. I remember getting a growler fill of that back in the day when I was originally hooked on Aslin.

Beers-es, ArlVABeerGuy and Sheppard like this.
  2. Slack

Slack Savant (974) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

This thread kinda died. Here are a couple of updates.

https://dc.eater.com/2021/5/17/2243...l-dc-location-logan-circle-coming-attractions

Houston
    Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (Pisghetti Western)
    Conditioned on Hazelnut, Vanilla, Coffee, Cocoa Nibs & Cinnamon
    12.0% ABV
    $28 per bottle. Limit 2 bottles per person

Portland
    Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (Sous Chef)
    Conditioned on Blueberry, Cocoa Nibs, Waffle & Marshmallows
    12.0% ABV
    $28 per bottle. Limit 3 bottles per person

Nashville
    Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (As You Wish)
    Conditioned on Vanilla, Coconut, Marshmallow, Cocoa Nibs, Brownie Mix, & Cookie Dough
    11.0% ABV
    $30 per bottle. Limit 3 bottles per person

Clifton
    Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
    Conditioned on Vanilla
    11.5% ABV
    $25 per bottle. Limit 3 bottles per person

*Limits were mug club

Also the latest batch of mango thief was decent, more vanilla than I remember but I enjoyed it

#42 Slack, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  3. Slack

Trader

They actually posted more info today which is kind of annoying

Portland is 4 roses and Weller barrel

Nashville is old fitzgerald barrel and a collab with Southern Grist

Houston is Weller barrel

Clifton is 4 Roses barrel

All bottles are 2 pp

4. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (1,999) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Aslin also getting dragged, which is not at all surprising.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beerman2017 and hoppytobehere like this.
  5. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (270) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

Going to be driving through the area next week. Anything worth grabbing as I pass? I used to trade for their imperial stout cans a couple years ago but they don’t seem to be of the same quality lately

6. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (571) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Aslin opening a Pittsburgh, PA taproom and brewhouse Summer 2022..
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Coming Summer 2022: Aslin’s Pittsburgh taproom & brewhouse will be located in the Strip District’s Terminal building, as part of it’s full-scale revitalization.

This new space will be the hub for research and development unique to Pittsburgh.
    A 10-barrel brewhouse, lagering tanks, open fermenters & fouders will support new brewing processes, techniques & ingredient choices. The space will also include a 7,000 sqft taproom, second floor mezzanine, outdoor patio and cafe.
    We’ll be partnering with local business Scratch & Co., a community-oriented restaurant that supports farmers and producers, collaborates with nonprofits & maintains a firm commitment to sustainability and equity.

Founder of Scratch & Co. Don Mahaney adds, “We are very excited to showcase the best of our region’s farms and producers on the Aslin Pittsburgh menu.”

All good things.
    Stay on the lookout for more updates!
    We’re stoked to share our beer with guests and collaborate with some of the country’s best brewers who call Pittsburgh home!

7. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (45) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

Haven’t had any Aslin beer in a long time after being disappointed so many times, has it gotten any better? One would hope they would focus on getting their beer back to where it once was before expanding yet again.

Beers-es, Slack, mig100 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Slack

Trader

Stopped by the Herndon taproom a couple weeks back first off it was a much better layout & experience for the family (little one included) compared to Alexandria. Tasted a couple of their recent pastry stouts and they were all diabetes aka straight sugar, a "fresh" batch of Double Orange Starfish was gross and extremely bitter, volcano sauce was good, and Johann Buys A Boat was slightly better than good. I would definitely try before you buy cans.

Comparatively, the Aslin private barrel effort has produced some really nice bottles which (fortunately or unfortunately) are better than the most of the bottles Aslin has produced in the last year.

I am a mug club member and most likely this will be my last year. Historically Aslin created some really notable and tasty beers but things haven't really changed. Money needs to be spent on QC or getting that mythical Richard dude back.

9. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (29) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

No, not better. Went to Herndon for the first time not long ago, had a lager and WC IPA. The lager was fine, the WC IPA was ass, sweetness of a DIPA (but only 5.5%) and no bite.

Beers-es likes this.
  10. coquet

coquet Initiate (101) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

As someone who started drinking Aslin back in the original Herndon taproom days, I've long given up on them ever returning to the level of quality that originally brought them national recognition. Honestly, I don't think they care about quality as long as the money is flowing. They've been pumping out mediocre (or worse) product for years, and people still buy it, so I doubt there's any motivation for them to right the ship.

11. Sheppard

Society Trader

Seems like there are quite a few of these types of breweries.

12. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (840) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Not only has the quality fallen off of a cliff but inexplicably they still don't date their cans. I have a feeling some of their stuff has been sitting on the shelves for months at the grocery stores around town. It's a sad situation all around.

remember these days? *wipes tear*

[​IMG]

Beers-es, colty42, BikeChef and 5 others like this.
  13. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,754) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I had noticed the non-dated cans for a while, but I had long ago shifted to only picking up drops of "the classics" when I saw them. Granted it goes with my drifting away from NEIPAs in general, but I got to viewing Aslin as a same beer, different label sort of brewer. At the very least, I wasn't distinguishing enough difference (or similar quality) to buy random four packs from them any longer.

I did stop by the Herndon taproom recently, and it was a nice place and I wasn't disappointed in anything I tried, but didn't have anything I felt like taking home, either.

14. Slack

Trader

This times ten. Growlers and crowlers are plentiful around town and we get a ton of out of town distro with better options.

cjgiant likes this.
  15. Slack

Trader

In person Black Friday sales

El Rio: Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout conditioned on Peanut Butter, Caramel & Vanilla

Castle Hill: Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout conditioned on Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, Blueberry, Cocoa Nibs, and Toasted Coconut.

Colchester: Maple Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout

Virginia Beach: Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout conditioned on Toasted Coconut & Coconut Candy

16. Topease

Topease Initiate (85) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Where did you hear/see that?

17. Slack

Trader

Members monthly newsletter. Here is the less exciting stuff:

Mom Jeans, Triple IPA collab with Outer Range
    Whago NEW BEER Sour Ale with Starburst Candies
    Blue Starfish *New* IPA Our beloved Orange starfish recipe with an additional dry hop of Sabro hops
    Tysons Grandma Seasonal Favorite IPA returns! Conditioned on Maple, Cinnamon, Pecans & Vanilla

Topease likes this.
  18. IPA_Stout_Fan_1997

IPA_Stout_Fan_1997 Initiate (17) Mar 19, 2020

I’m visiting Aslin for the first time on Sunday evening at the Alexandria location. I checked their website, and they don’t have a taproom menu for ALX like they do for Herndon. What does this mean?

19. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (381) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

20. joerooster2

https://www.aslinbeer.com/alexandria-beer-garden-menu

Is that what you're looking for?

edit: I guess that's just the beer garden menu. I'd just email them and ask for the tap list, they usually reply within a day.

21. Beers-es

Beers-es Savant (965) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

I was out in Herndon a couple of months ago and ran into a friend, so had a couple of beers at Aslin's new space. The Neutrino was barely drinkable garbage, and some other IPA I tried was not much better. They had fallen off my radar because of so many disappointing beers, but now I'm officially done.

22. Beers-es

Beers-es Savant (965) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Off topic, but I had Ocelot's 'You Own Me' and the recent batch of Wings of Armageddon and they were both top notch. Hadn't had Ocelot in ages but man if this is indicative, wow.

Sheppard, BikeChef and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  23. Slack

Trader

Unfortunately true but I was pleasantly surprised with Pittsburgh^2 and a handful of private barrels so far. Those might be worth checking out if you like the semi to very sweet stouts

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  24. Slack

Trader

So we took a chance today on Aslin Herndon. We had broadlands, West Chester, and double orange starfish. Broadlands was thinner than i recall and relatively easy drinking for a barley wine (a touch sweet). West Chester was pretty balanced between Apple Brandy, vanilla, and very very mild coffee and nonetheless enjoyable with the cold weather. And lastly DOS. I didn't make the same mistake as I did last time in getting a (IPA) pour before a sample. Well very surprisingly this batch was above board and quite nice. Didn't try anything else but wanted to share.

25. Sheppard

Society Trader

this is what happens when i'm not around to constantly remind you folks about them haha

Beers-es likes this.
  26. TheBeerThrillers

TheBeerThrillers Initiate (80) Jul 25, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Aslin related questions:
    1) What is the better brewery location? Their Herndon one or their Alexandria one?
    2) Are they doing anything (at either location) for Black Friday?
    Thanks!

27. joerooster2

1) I would say it depends on where you are driving from, don't think either location is going to give you a significantly better experience. Basically, whatever is most convenient.
    2) Yes, appears they are releasing some BA bottles at both locations, check the IG post from 11/20 or so. I don't see any details just says 'stay tuned'.

28. Slack

Trader

Herndon has an indoor / outdoor feel with a garage door and a sizeable outdoor area with picnic tables. They also have a rooftop. Better for kids imo.

Alexandria is all inside but has a ton of TVs and tables. Nice place to grab a beer and watch football.

Black Friday - they are releasing
    El Rio
    Colchester
    Castle Hill
    Virginia Beach

Details forthcoming but it will be in person, so welcome back lines but historically they had all these beers on tap.

29. TheBeerThrillers

Trader

If I'm making the trip down from Harrisburg area, and stopping at Adroit Theory first. (Maybe doing a few other breweries too... but really only must hits are Adroit Theory and Aslin.) I'm going to assume bottles will be sold out, but they'll have them on tap? We'll be hitting Adroit Theory when opens at 12-noon, and probably get to Aslin (either location) at 2PM or so.

Any other little breweries right around Herndon or Alexandria that would be worth hitting up while in the area?

Thanks.

30. joerooster2

Herndon is going to be a lot more convenient if you're going to AT. Some other breweries to consider in the area would be:

- Wheatland Spring in Waterford, not too far from AT
    - Crooked Run in Leesburg or Sterling, in between AT and Aslin Herndon
    - Ocelot and Solace near Dulles, ~5 min apart, also somewhat between AT and Aslin Herndon

Plenty of other options in eastern Loudoun/western Fairfax (Lost Rhino, Old Ox, Beltway, Rocket Frog, Dynasty and others).

Slack likes this.
  31. Slack

Trader

Adding in my experience here:
    Wheatland Spring - never been but pretty much everything I've tried has been decent.

Solace - larger footprint in an industrial park that was entirely inside space when I was there previously, mostly IPAs but they had other traditional styles pilsner, bocks, stouts . Average to above average.

Ocelot - also in an industrial park (albeit smaller), I haven't been here since pre pandemic so can't comment on outdoor space. Same deal as Solace.

Regarding Aslin selling out of bottles - who knows these days. On the drafts, this has been typical practice (historically) for their in person bottle releases.

32. ashellen

ashellen Initiate (104) Mar 26, 2009 Virginia

Ocelot has a small deck with 3 or 4 picnic tables for its outdoor space.

Wheatland Spring has a lot of outdoor tables and a handful of fire pits. Also has barn seating indoors.

I'd make my trip Adroit > Wheatland > Ocelot > aslin (herndon will be closer and easier drive) could tag on crooked run (sterling) if you need another stop.

May want to consider staying in leesburg. Somewhat central to those stops and can walk to several breweries downtown within 5 or 6 blocks.

Leesburg has a crooked run and dynasty location so you could skip the Sterling ones if you were going there.

Slack likes this.
  33. TheBeerThrillers

Trader

Thanks for all the info and help!

34. RKP1967

RKP1967 Disciple (311) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Are you suggesting hitting four or five breweries in one afternoon? Yikes.

35. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (106) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Had some Bringing Sexy Back on draft at Leesburg Public House. Garbage. Nothing like it used to be. That used to be one of my fave core beers too. Oh well, the party's over.