Aslin Beer Company's Kai Leszkowicz on Starting Small, Trying Stupid Things, and the Future of NEIPA

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

2. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,180) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

A few years ago, after the Aslin tasting room had to close and the production side wasn’t fully ramped up (or meeting demand), I saw the crew at Ocelot one Sunday. In a very brief conversation they mentioned wanting to get a tasting room open again to get more/closer feedback from their customers.

They’ve apparently had some issues finding and opening a good spot to re-open a tasting room. Sort of wished the article went into that a little.

Either way, looking forward to a time when I can sample a few beers in a tasting/tap room and then grab the interesting things to go.

LeperJim, Harrison8 and srw like this.
  3. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (281) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Love these folks and love their beer. I wish them all the success in the world.

srw likes this.
  4. srw

srw Defender (611) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Good read. I'm excited for their Alexandria location to open up. Hopefully they can have a tap room open soon as well.

5. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (487) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I’ve had a couple of they beers and enjoyed them!

6. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,385) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I wish these guys made more stouts, cause the few stouts I've had from them have been exceptional.

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,037) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

A friend hauled back some of their stuff from his trip, and both beers I was able to try were absolutely delightful.

I'd really love to try more.

8. Keene

Keene Defender (664) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

A note for anyone eager to try some of Kai's beer but unable to get to DC or Northern Virginia: Aslin will be pouring at Extreme Beer Fest in February.

jcos and Harrison8 like this.
  9. RKP1967

I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. In their short time of existence, they have released 270 different beers, 53 of which have been stouts. They put our seven versions of the same stout on Black Friday alone.

Bshaw22 and hoppytobehere like this.
  10. AandNBrewing

AandNBrewing Initiate (52) Jun 14, 2016 Virginia

They were selling growlers of the Black Friday stout for $50 at Total Wine in Fredericksburg

11. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (440) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Had some for the first time this week. The orange starfish pale — super tasty at 5%. They are legit. Can’t wait to try more.

12. LateToThisParty

LateToThisParty Initiate (53) Sep 16, 2015 Colorado

I've been enjoying a couple of NEIPA's lately. Brewed beermosa's. And some people think the style is just getting started. Doesn't thrill me. But one thing I've learned in this space is best summarized as "to each his own." You like 'em? Go for it!

13. RKP1967

Wow, that's crazy. Who would even want 64 ozs of a 16.5% stout? Unless you were throwing a party. 16 oz cans were the usual $8 at the brewery.

14. BillDon

BillDon Initiate (176) Jul 16, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Given the size of the brew house they turn out amazing beers. A testament to the second shift brewers :-). I think fruited berliners are their best beers.

ipas-for-life likes this.
  15. digboy

digboy Meyvn (1,064) Dec 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

The one time I got to the brewery was when visiting inlaws (they're 11 hours away from me). I managed to get there just as they started the upgrades (maybe the same time as your story?) and so had no beer for sale in cans or growlers. Man was I bumming it - I drove down just so I could bring ample amounts of beer back... which I did, just not Aslin :slight_frown: Ocelot made the trip back up though :slight_smile:

Never heard of them at the time though. From the first taste I knew I had found a stupidly good NEIPA brewery.Been wanting to get back ever since.

cjgiant likes this.
  16. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (64) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Not surprised it was priced that high, these guys were recently selling bottles for $75 (plus tax and tip, so nearly $100, on site consumption only) for a 500mL bottle of a BA stout at their recent pop-up. The same bottles they sold at the brewery for $15 (to go).

17. GoatmanBrewsMD

GoatmanBrewsMD Aspirant (246) Dec 16, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I've only had their beer once at a Nationals game in the Aslin Beer Garden, this past season. It was Selfish Predator. A very tasty double IPA! Lots of tropical/grapefruit flavors very smooth. However, the price point had me at one and done. I don't know if it was marked up because of location (I would assume) or whether that is their normal price. Either way, I purchased a few more local craft beers inside the stadium for a lot less.

18. RKP1967

How much did you pay for each?

I remember hearing they were charging $9 or so per can in their beer garden, whereas beer on draft (typically low abv plae ales and the like) in the stadium goes in the $12-$15 range.

19. GoatmanBrewsMD

GoatmanBrewsMD Aspirant (246) Dec 16, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Each can was priced differently depending on style and ABV. I don't remember the exact amount but it was about $12 with tax for one Selfish Predator.

20. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,180) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Yeah, demand was huge for a time - with hours long lines at some points. We stopped going for a few months after they went cans only. Production did finally catch up and we headed back.

Nice “consolation prize” in Ocelot, IMHO. Cheers!

21. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,058) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

This is the stuff of hype. These beers may well be damned good, but I just don't care.

Squire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.