At this very moment, what is the best brewery in Texas?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by MexiMart, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmurray10

bmurray10 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Texas

I guess I would have to ask which brewery has offerings that you would drive out of the way and stand in a long line early in the morning for? There is really only two that can make that claim. Not saying that this is the most important thing to consider, but hey......I am just saying

air likes this.
  2. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Yeah but only La muerta does that for me :wink:

3. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Id go tie for RA 512 and Freetail.

RA for reasons already stated.

512 for 512 pecan porter. Ive loved other offerings from them, but really, this beer is EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. 'Nuff said. When you do one thing well, no, spectacularly, your aces in my book.

Freetail- just amazing what they try, and succeed on a lot of levels, even if im not a fan of all the ones ive had.

brurevu, air, HopAG and 1 other person like this.
  4. bmurray10

bmurray10 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Texas

Jeez, I hate it when I reply and someone already said what I was thinking and I over looked it! Someone throw tomatoes at me quick!

HopAG likes this.
  5. champ103

champ103 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,682) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

More love for 512 here. Pecan Porter cask is one of the best. Overall, they are probably tied for my number 6 brewery with Saint Arnold, and depending on when I have PP cask, maybe push out one of the others.

Also, Saint Arnold has made three of my favorite new Texas releases this year. DR 13, BB2, and Icon Gold. Not to pull any punches, but I can't really say that about Jester King.

wiingman, air and blatherbeard like this.
  6. LtColFrankSlade

LtColFrankSlade Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2011 Texas

JK is good, but too expensive to be a regular. I wish they would bottle 12 oz or 330 ml.

I think Lakewood is extremely underrated and I thought I'd give them a shout out since I wasn't seeing much love on this thread.

fillmont likes this.
  7. icetrauma

icetrauma Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Dat Temptress!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2009 New York

Obviously the major ones have already been named but I gotta add Lone Pint to this conversation.

Yellow Rose is the best everyday beer in Texas.

Admittedly, the rest of their stuff has not been close to the level of YR, but it's all definitely on the same level as the regular releases from most other breweries. YR is enough to push Lone Pint into the discussion.

saint0r likes this.
  9. air

air Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Lone Pint and Peticolas are the two most underrated breweries in the state imo. Both produce solid beer, just gotta get wider availability and awareness.

10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

You have actually had JK beers, right? They are all over the map with consistency.

Not saying Karbach is, but you are pot/kettle/blacking here.

JezyGray likes this.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

I still had FUN003/FUN005 on my mind when I wrote that. :slight_smile:

12. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Burn!!! :grinning:

While not consistent, every BBA Hellfighter has been good. :wink:

Roll in the Hay however... :evil eye:

13. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

The 005s are really improving. It's miraculous.

14. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

How did it take nearly 30 posts for someone to mention Saint Arnold? They're easily in the top 5 for me, and I wouldn't argue too vehemently against them being in the top 2. My list, in order, for now:

-Jester King
    -Real Ale
    -Saint Arnold
    -Live Oak
    -Freetail

Eagerly anticipating the day when we Houstonians have enough access to Peticolas/ABW/H&G/Lakewood to fully & fairly judge them. I've been impressed with just about everything I've had from those guys, but can't claim to know them well enough -- yet!

DanzBorin likes this.
  15. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

No.

gtermi, saint0r, jeebeel and 10 others like this.
  16. air

air Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2007 Texas

The reason is in your post: access. I do like the Icon series, but getting BB bottles involves tremendous effort outside of the Houston area (or if you know the right people). H&G is the main one I am looking to try more stuff and I am gonna make it a point to visit their brewery next time I'm around Austin.

Peticolas just keeps hitting home run after home run. As far as I can tell, he has zero intention to go into sour or anything balls-to-the-wall experimental, and that's fine by me since he's putting his unique stamp on beer while brewing to style (for the most part). As "boring" as it may be, I think nailing that aspect is pretty fundamental before branching too far out, plus he's adamant about knowing where exactly his beer is going and not letting it go too far away. And he is dictating his expansion in calculated steps. tl/dr, visit his brewery next time you're in town.

RA has seriously impressed me with the Brewer's Cut series, especially the Kolsch. That beer needs to become year-round.

Krumb, blatherbeard, fillmont and 3 others like this.
  17. jsboots21

jsboots21 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2009 Tennessee

You know Real Ale deserves strong consideration for "top brewer" when so many of their beers are requested for year-round production. Kolsch, 4-Squared, Hans' (which is now, right?), MV series, etc. etc.

air likes this.
  18. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

Jester King is my number one by far.

The locals up here are excellent too:

Revolver
    Lakewood
    Martin House
    Peticolas
    Community

I've only had a few of Karbach's year-round stuff and haven't found anything I like.

fillmont and jesterkingbeer like this.
  19. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

Freetail.

DanzBorin likes this.
  20. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

It depends on what kind of styles you prefer. For me that would be wild ales and sours. That pretty much eliminates all but two breweries. I know that RA makes some wild ales but they are very hard to come by and are draft only, thus my top two breweries are Freetail and jester king. They are pretty much 1 and 1a for me. I like different things about them for different reasons. As far as just every day beers go I have to give it to ABW. I like karbach but I feel they are over rated, nothing I've had from them has blown me away. I would choose Sputnik over BBA hell fighter any day.

starkmarvelo and air like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.