At what age did you get into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Titanic_Ant, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

I'm only 52, never a trendsetter, but a messenger, I've turned on a lot of folks to craft beer in a short time. They have seen the light!

2. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

Id say actual local crafts and not Imports around 24-25 brefore that I drank almost exclusively New Castle until one day a bar Didnt have it but offered Local Favorite Kilt Lifter from Four Peaks in its stead. I have loved it ever since

3. Shluffy

Shluffy Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Wisconsin

when I turned 21 I dabbled in it, but in the last year I've really thrown myself into it.

4. y2jrock60

y2jrock60 Aspirant (286) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

I believe I was 19 when I became interested in craft beer. Even when I started drinking I chose yuengling while everyone else was drinking natty. Don't get me wrong, I would drink anything when I was young that was available. Natty light was the staple of every college party.

When I was 19 I was given my first guiness, it took me 40mins to drink it, but I savored every sip and really enjoyed it. That first guiness was what got me interested in craft beer. I will always remember that beer, even though I rarely drink guiness anymore, that particular beer will always hold a special place in my heart and memory. Shortly after that beer a friend bought me a Victory sampler six pack. After taking my first sip of hop devil I became addicted to IPAs and craft beer as the whole. I even started homebrewing at 20 and have been doing so for the last 7 years.

5. CCory

CCory Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2014 Illinois

I didn't get into craft beer until I was 22. Thank you Lagunitas!

6. marquis

marquis Champion (812) Nov 20, 2005 England

Don't play Scrabble with a Welshman!!! (Or a Czech or a Pole)

JMS1512 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,271) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'd be OK, maybe. I could pull pure Southern on 'em! Cheers.

8. AUGRAD06

AUGRAD06 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Alabama

Wow, guess I'm a late bloomer at the ripe age of 29 or 30...

9. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

It was just over a year ago. I came home from college for the first time being 21 and decided to pick up a bottle of Arrogant Bastard. I absolutely hated it when I first tried it but found other beers to help me transition to it easier. Been a craft drinker ever since.

10. timmy2b

timmy2b Savant (953) Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Trader

Right after I graduated college I started drinking craft more than crap. Been about 8 years now.

11. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2007 New York

I was 17 (freshman in college upstate NY) so around the year 2000 - I hated going to Frat parties, mainly because the beer sucked and I actually though I hated beer...until I tried Saranac, Magic Hat, Sierra Nevada, and Otter Creek. So all that really changed quick!
    Some of my fav memories were my "birthday 6-packs" all to myself - id usually go with Big Foot - were talking 2002 here...Stovepipe Porter, or UBU (when they came in the pre-filled growlers at the gas stations!)

12. trubeernick

trubeernick Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 California

I attended chico state university from 2001-2005. Had my first Sierra Nevada when I was 18 and I have SN to thank for getting me into craft beers ever since.

Knee_Deep_Fan likes this.
  13. DaltonC

DaltonC Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 Idaho

20 currently 21. Funny when I talk to people or stores about beer styles and IPAs, they always ask if im some beer genius or something since I'm only 21.

14. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (174) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

In college, I drank mostly High Life or Bud Light, but began to try out the different Sam Adams offerings once I was old enough to start frequenting the bars and liquor stores. About 2 years ago, when I was about 23/24, a fantastic bar that only serves American craft beer opened up right down the road from my work. I went in, not realizing that they only served craft beer, ordered a bud light, got looked at funny, went with an Alagash White, and never looked back.

15. schildres

schildres Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 Maryland

16, started brewing at 17. Now that I'm 22 and legally can enjoy my life is so much easier.

16. Providence

Providence Champion (802) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Started dabbling in it when I was 21, became obsessed with it when I was about 26.

17. sicilian

sicilian Initiate (167) Sep 30, 2008 Florida

Probably not until I was almost 40, when I could afford it as a luxury item.

18. thomseye

thomseye Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2009 Michigan

I was 21... It was 1993.

Started with Guinness, Bass Ale, Double Diamond, Beamish, Samuel Smiths (and various other British Bitters/Ales), McEwans, Mackeson XXX Stout, Redhook ESB, Frankenmuth Bock, Harp, Pete's Wicked Ale (and their Winter Brew), Sam Adams (Honey Porter), Stoney Creek, Honkers Ale (later on), Dixie Blackened Voodoo, Sierra Nevada Beers and of course, the Bells brews that were available at the time.

Only non "craft" beers I drank at the time were the odd Molson Canadien, Rolling Rock or Heineken.

19. MattyEdgeworth

MattyEdgeworth Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Northern Ireland

18, ie now. A few months ago I first started.

20. Miami66

Miami66 Disciple (363) Mar 19, 2013 Nebraska

21. I didn't start drinking until I was 20 years old. I really didn't like other types of booze so I started to get into the beer world. I'm currently 22 (since 2 months ago), and recently had my 103rd type of beer. :slight_smile: Still so many more out there. I really only "do" beer, ciders, and tequila

21. TPSReport

TPSReport Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2011 New Jersey

20, had a stone ipa, and as they say. the rest is history.

Knee_Deep_Fan and king75 like this.
  22. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Always drank decent beer for the most part since I've been 21 (Mostly Magic Hat, Brooklyn, Harpoon etc) but the obsession started a few months after turning 22.

23. king75

king75 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan

I tried my old man's Naddy light when I was in high school and thought it tasted awful. I decided right then and there that there had to be better beer out there. When I turned 20 I went to Germany and was able to try weistephaner and Schneider Weiss on tap and was floored by the flavor. From that moment I knew that there was great beer out there and after I turned 21 I began drinking craft beer on a regular basis.

24. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

21, it's been downhill every since.

25. Sam_Gladieux

Sam_Gladieux Initiate (125) Jan 4, 2014 Ohio

Not early enough!!!

26. Asics

Asics Disciple (376) Jul 28, 2012 Washington

21. About a week after I turned 21 I asked my aunt what should I try to expand my horizons. She suggested craft beer and although I wasn't hooked at first I grew to like it more and more. Since then (now 23) I've thrown myself into the history of brewing and beer styles. The history of beer is amazing and interesting.

27. LankFreudRyte

LankFreudRyte Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2008 Illinois

Too old to remember, too young to stop. Right?

28. Toonces

Toonces Initiate (141) Oct 25, 2005 New Jersey

I can't say the specific year but when I was in college, around 27 or 28 (I went back to school late). I really hadn't been into beer, or anything like that since High School and as I slowly got into drinking again, I was intrigued by this whole "microbrew" thing I was reading about. I went from drinking BMC and the occasional Rolling Rock, to Allagash, Hoegaarden, Dogfish Head, and the Brooklyn Brewery, who gave me my first "big beer" experience when I thought the words "chocolate' and "stout" looked awfully good together.

29. a0lbudman

a0lbudman Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Alabama

30. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

In high school, in my friend's backyard, so 16ish. Another friend's older brother used to get us the beer, but it was almost always an import. My favorites back then were McEwan's Scotch Ale and Murphy's Stout.

31. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (2,017) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

32. Geegar

Geegar Initiate (74) Apr 15, 2013 Wisconsin

19. I got a job waiting tables at a brewpub. They made a pale ale that was unlike anything I've ever had before. I remember going home after countless shifts with a growler full of this wonderful nectar. Needless to say I was hooked. I'm 34 now and still remember the first time like it was yesterday.

33. Gyle41386

Gyle41386 Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2008 South Carolina

I tried a few of the standard offerings at 21 when we finally had a place open up in town with some different tap handles (Rogue Dead Guy, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Terrapin Rye Pale Ale, etc.) but didn't really get into it until the following year. A Chimay gift pack purchased from World Market out of sheer curiosity kicked it into high gear a little over five years ago.

34. Druid_51

Druid_51 Initiate (142) Aug 11, 2013 Kentucky

51...tried GI IPA per my brothers suggestion. Nope. 52....tried a porter at a local wing joint...hmmm...then came SNPA...discovered Beer Advocate...found out what a "growler' was....drank an IPA and didn't cringe....drank local beer from Lexington and Cincinnati....learned that Bud Light had zero taste....53.....I'm looking forward to trying Zombie Dust, Black Butte Porter and more local/regional beer.

35. DannyS

DannyS Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2007 New York

the year was 2008. I was just about to turn 21. I had had brief flirts with alcohol by then but not much serious beering. (I tried Magic Hat stuff in college but didn't like it. I kept trying it periodically and it sort of grew on me.)

Anyway, relatives of mine had a shitload of Sam Adams Oktoberfest leftover after a labor day party that year, and my family brought most of it home. That beer...that beautiful beer...was my starting point. I tried it at the party and it just clicked. It tasted good. REALLY good. I think I single-handedly polished off that case or two in the two months before my 21st birthday, and on my 21st, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout was the first beer I had. Haven't looked back since. And now I'm a hopelessly addicted hophead. I regret nothing.

36. Variable

Variable Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2014 Florida

I turned 21 right around that time as well (1993.) Craft options were limited in North FL at the time. Some of the same options you mentioned, like Sam Adams and Saranac were available. I remember Anchor as well. I probably considered imports such as Guinness and Bass as "craft" back then as well.

37. mizary

mizary Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2007 Ohio

I didn't start drinking anything until I was about 19-20. Then it was cheap vodka and OJ, Zima, nattie light...

Then around when I turned 21 (1996) I slowly progressed into blue moon, killians, molson ice, guiness, harp, new castle, honey brown... Then (1997-2000) I stepped it up with things like Old Peculiar, spaten optimator, unibroue beers, great lakes beers - especially the xmas ale. Then there was a local brewery with a hefe that I LOVED.

It probably wasn't until after college when I really started to explore craft beer... I am sure money had something to do with that.

38. Treezilla

Treezilla Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Colorado

26. Ive had the basic crafts before but nothing clicked till i went to Great Divide, the rest is history.

39. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Nevada

I'd say 22/23. I'm now 28. My wife and I moved overseas, to Belgium, shortly before I turned 22. Needless to say, I never had a real opportunity to know bad beer. I was immediately hooked on belgian style beers, and another guy there introduced me to Stone and other American craft beers. I had a pretty good idea what to look for once we moved back to the US.

40. Abra

Abra Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 Massachusetts

Portland Oregon...craft beer heaven!! (or at least from what I've read) I would love to experience it some day. What's the best brewery in Portland in your opinion?

and 24 for me too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.