At what point do you say, "I am spending too much money on beer?"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ADemshar, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agold

Agold Defender (635) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

Did you start a thread over on ratebeer a few years ago that inspired a series of beers by Cigar City?

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  2. Stankonia

Stankonia Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2010 Idaho

Haha, good point.

By my calculations, you make a pretty big chunk of change every 2 weeks..I would almost definitely spend more than $25 a week if my pay check was that big.

Do you trade or travel to big beer releases? If not, point out to your wife that it's not uncommon for other craft-beer lovers to buy plane tickets, drive hundreds of miles, buy hotel rooms just to buy a few bottles of beer, or to spend just as much on shipping as the cost of the beer to share it with their online buddies.

3. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

Don't forget about God, brah!

4. Bluecane

Is that 1.13% of your gross salary or your net take-home pay?

What's your address? I can't give a good answer without referencing the local cost of living.

Finally, please detail your other monthly expenses, assets, and liabilities for a complete analysis. I will require both routing and account numbers so that I can ensure up-to-the-minute results.

Supes, azorie, B33R501 and 4 others like this.
  5. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (3,029) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Society

I think 25 bucks a week is nothing. She must not like your hobby. Hell most of us have gotten to the point where we spend 25+ on a single bottle.

Cheers!

6. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Texas

I have no good advice, I have been spending too much on beer for a long time now. Maybe your wife needs a hobby of her own, something expensive(like craft beer) and she can only have $100/month to play with.

Beerontwowheels and B33R501 like this.
  7. BeRanger

BeRanger Disciple (387) Dec 11, 2011 Michigan

Spending $1,300 a year on beer when you're making over $115,000 a year shouldn't even be an issue.
    Point at one of her purses or pairs of shoes.

BeerSingh and B33R501 like this.
  8. stevefinny

stevefinny Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey

When you can't pay cash, and you have to use credit. That is when your are spending to much.

Ungertaker likes this.
  9. ajramirez1

ajramirez1 Initiate (168) Apr 9, 2011 Washington

When u cant pay ur monthly expenses then its a problem. I spent $50-100 twice a month a beer...now since i live nextdoor to Beervana...but the GF supports my hobby so im goood
    A-

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

When i have to post about it

WeisGuy and gustogasmic like this.
  11. PhantasIPA

PhantasIPA Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2011 Delaware

Free will is a beautiful thing! Find a mature way to convince her that it is not much money for an "activity" that you really enjoy. If she does not have an "activity" that costs that much then suggest one to her...if she does, then use it to convince her that your love of beer is not a drain on your finances. If you have problems convincing her then spend your next $50 on beer she likes, get her tipsy, and attempt the conversation again...

12. Absolut

Absolut Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2011 California

my wife goes to starbucks everyday to get an overpriced foo-foo coffee. Thus, i never hear a word about beer money. ever.

Every so often she asks if she should stop with the starbucks, that's when i get nervous...

13. Absolut

Absolut Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2011 California

that assumes we can do math.

fields336, wcintula and drperry11 like this.
  14. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

I've actually gotten there less as a matter of too much money, but as a matter of "crap, I have a lot of bottles sitting here.". I've been in full BA mode for a while, and try to get one or two of every great imperial stout or sour or whatever I can find. It's getting a little ridiculous.

15. r3o

r3o Aspirant (214) Aug 19, 2010 Florida

if you keep track of not only exactly how much you spend on beer but also what percentage of your salary this is, I think it's under control

16. MsRif

MsRif Zealot (542) Oct 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

It's probably not the cost that's the real issue to her...she probably just doesn't like your hobby. What you spend is extremely reasonable. Women have a way of not being completely direct in their nagging, which seems like the case here. Ever try to get her into beer?

drtth and Kgristoff like this.
  17. emdawg

emdawg Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2011 New York

I stopped caring about how much my SO spent on beer after he pointed to all my shoes and purses and perfumes and dresses and other stupid things lol.

18. madawhy

madawhy Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2011 New York

In my opinion, when you start posting in the "latest haul" thread, and people have an orgasm reading it.

19. fortsambo

fortsambo Initiate (145) Feb 14, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

I typically say it about 5 times per day

20. Bluecane

A weekly budget would be rough, given the intermittent nature of special releases. I would want to spread it over a month, at least. $25/week allows you a 4-pack of KBS and pretty much nothing else; with a monthly budget, you could by 8 bottles and a sixer of Two Hearted and then hold off a week, which is much better.

21. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Disciple (364) Apr 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

When I run out of gas on the way home from getting beer because I used the gas $ to buy beer. Until then, never.

B33R501 and BrianTheBrewer30 like this.
  22. djbreezy

djbreezy Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Washington

Since you asked...sounds like your wife needs to find something better to worry about. Unless of course you guys have other issues then maybe that's why you're posting. We will never know. Drink on my brother! My lady never bothers me about my spending.

23. TicoCali

TicoCali Disciple (313) Jul 25, 2010 California

Don't worry it happens to all of us.

24. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (460) Jan 2, 2010 California

If $50 is just over 1% of your two week pay period you make around 120K a year.

The fact that you even spend time thinking about $100 a month on beer says either you don't like beer or you are George Costanza. Did you go with the cheap wedding envelopes?

BeerSingh and B33R501 like this.
  25. silentjay

silentjay Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2008 Massachusetts

Beer is a luxury. If you are spending money that should be going towards necessities, you are spending too much, otherwise, you are not.

If your wife and you value certain luxuries differently than others, well, then, that's something you'll have to hash out with her...

Would I rather spend $300 on 3 months worth of beer or a coach bag? I'm going to choose the beer. She may choose the coach bag. Its just how things are.

I think that as long as you can afford the rent/mortgage as well as utilities/food/clothing, then fuck it. buy a damn beer with what you have left over. you deserve it.

26. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Aspirant (221) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Now this made me laugh.

drperry11 likes this.
  27. Bobheed

Bobheed Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Texas

I'd say I regularly spend too much on beer. I'm still fairly new to the craft beer world (22 years old), so I easily get overwhelmed when at the stores. It doesn't help that about 45 mins from where I live, in Roseville, there's a Total Wine, Nugget Market, and BevMo, all within about a half mile stretch on the same street

28. nrs207

nrs207 Defender (659) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Did the math on your paycheck. If I made that much I would certainly not think $50 every 2 weeks is an issue.

B33R501 likes this.
  29. B33R501

B33R501 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

are u kidding me? is your math correct? $50 every 2 weeks 1.13% i get $4425 per pay x 26 = roughly $115000 per year and someone is complaining (complaining?) that you spend $25 per week on beer? why is this thread here? some of us are not in the mood for this nonsense today, or any day for that matter. ridiculous thread.

30. B33R501

$25 a week on beer? what beer drinker do you know spends only $25 week on beer? i wish i spent that little.

31. B33R501

$25 a week on beer? what beer drinker do you know spends only $25 week on beer? i wish i spent that little.

32. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

If my wife who also drinks a lot of craft thinks I am spending to much I just point out how much going out to the bars for a night is, which I do not do. Also how much one of her work outfits costs.......

33. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Yea great point get a few 100 out of the ATM every week and she never know for sure how much Your spending on anything, Let alone beer.

34. Rempo

Rempo Disciple (339) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

Hope no one beat me to it, but you make about $110K (+ a bit of OT).

yamar68 and Skye1024 like this.
  35. bobbidylan

bobbidylan Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2010 Florida

To much money is me. Just got back from Cigar City I picked up a case of Hunahpu. $20.00 a bottle she was pissed. But I told her I was the only kid in town that has a case of Hunahapu. That didn't help at all.

36. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

I spend less than that now -- but I've got a one-year-old, one on the way, and unfortunately don't make $115,000 a year. :stuck_out_tongue:

37. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Meyvn (1,296) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois

I would guess I spend around 10% of my income on beer. And, yes I spend too much, but there's always a special release or something you never expected to see that you just HAVE to buy. Right?

38. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (5,876) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Like others have said kinda depends on the rest of your budget. When my wife and I had a kid, we had to scale back on several things including beer..Forced me to spend more on quality and not quantity and I cannot say I miss the old days much. I would rather have my sip and savor Scherlenkerla pint than a six of cheap stuff for a game anyways.

39. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

My problem is that I love to my beer fridge jam-packed. This affords me some sort of comfort. On the other hand it costs me roughly $200 a month. I do feel guilt over this.

40. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,082) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Don't feel guilty- you're just being energy efficient!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.