Athens and Greek Islands

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Gumbo_gravy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

Does any one have any thoughts on Greek beer? I'm going on my honey moon to Athens and a few Greek Islands (Santorini and Crete for sure). I'd be interested to hear about any breweries or bottle shops I should to try to hit up.

2. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,590) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

Keep us posted. I am spending 8 days in Crete next year and few days in Santorini, so I am anxious to hear what you find.

Gumbo_gravy likes this.
  3. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (554) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

When are you guys going? I can write up something for you

4. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

Not until the end of May beginning of June working with travel agent now. It looks like we're gonna be in Crete on the Western side, Santorini, Paros and about 24 hours in Athens on the back end.

5. BeerGlassesCollector

Trader

Perfect. I will write up something later today or tomorrow depending on how busy it gets

AlexM likes this.
  6. BeerGlassesCollector

Trader

So here it goes:

CRETE:

Crete is a beautiful island that you need a car to drive around. If you have the time make sure you drive all around the island. There are beautiful places to see all around! Make sure to spend a few extra bucks and rent a good car. Don’t go for the cheapest. The roads can get rough and if you plan to drive around, there are quite a few up slopes all over the island and you will have the a/c ON all the time. Driving around try and stop in small villages en-route and walk around, sit at the village's coffee shop and enjoy a coffee or beer with the locals. Most of them are very friendly.

I won’t mention many details for each place I recommend because you can simply google it and see/read whether you want to visit or not.

Places to see: (random order)

1) Elafonisi Beach (Southwest)

[​IMG]

2) Agios Nicolaos Village (East of Heraklion)

[​IMG]

3) Preveli beach (South of Rethymno)

[​IMG]

4) Matala (South):

[​IMG]

5) Ierapetra (Southeast):

[​IMG]

Microbreweries in Crete:

The microbrewery scene in Greece has gone crazy the last 6-7 years. There are so many microbreweries at the moment I can not keep up with them. They keep emerging like mushrooms. The 2 micros in Crete are Cretan and Solo. Unfortunately I can not provide feedback on the brewery visit because I have not managed to visit them myself. Most of the times I found my self in Crete was because of work so I didn't have the time to do so. Next time I find myself in Crete though it will be the first thing I do so if it happens before you go in May I will let you know. A friend who visited them told me it was a nice experience and they seem to know their stuff. This is their web portal if you want to have a look https://www.cretanbeer.gr/#

The other is Solo. http://solobeer.gr/en/?age-verified=3a5451d325

------------------------------

SANTORINI:

It's been more than 2 decades I was last in Santorini so I can't really give you any info but the 2 micros at the moment in Santorini are the Santorini Brewing Company https://www.santorinibrewingcompany.gr/ and Volkan Beer http://volkanbeer.com/

If you need any detailed info on Crete give me a shout and I can provide you with places to eat, stay etc etc.

7. OzmanBey

OzmanBey Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2011 Massachusetts

I've had a few greek beers and they sort of all taste the same, they're all light, crisp, and clear lol. Enjoy your honeymoon the food is amazing.

8. BeerGlassesCollector

Trader

If you are going to make the long trip from the US to Greece, why don’t you stay a few more days and catch a plane from Crete to Cyprus? It’s only an hour away and you can get a flight for under $100 per person RETURN. There’s a lot of airlines operating between Crete and Cyprus daily offering cheap fares. It would be a shame not to see Cyprus as well... Contact me if you want more info, I’de be glad to help out

Redrover likes this.
  9. Redrover

Society

Had a blast in Crete! Managed to find a craft beer bar in Rethymno called Bricks. I have requested that it gets added to the BA data base.

10. BeerGlassesCollector

Trader

Come on man. Give us more info on your experience. Did you visit any of the places I recommended??

11. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Norway
    Deactivated

Solo operating?

12. Redrover

Society

We were based in Reythmno for 8 days. Enjoyed the town immensely. Toured the fortress, harbor, went on a gorge hike, a bike ride and also visited Preveli beach (thanks for that tip!). Drank a lot of the local Charma Pale Lager (good but not great) plus the usual Greek Macros.

The local wine was very nice and the food was fantastic.

Very enjoyable holiday!

BeerGlassesCollector likes this.
  13. rex_4539

rex_4539 Poo-Bah (2,947) Dec 20, 2014 Greece
    Society

maximum12 likes this.
  14. Thehopman

Thehopman Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2017 England

In case that interests anyone, I'd like to add that the best beers I've had in Greece last year were from Seven Islands from Corfu, they are really killing it with the stouts. Look for it!

15. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (420) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I'll keep an eye out although I am not usually on a furious beer hunt for trips like my upcoming 2 weeks on various Cyclades. But in case I get on one, any other new stuff I must make sure not to miss, BAs?

16. BeerGlassesCollector

Trader

In my humble opinion the best craft brewery in Greece at the moment is Septem though not all their beers are really worth seeking out. They have brewed 2 pour drain beers which I was really really surprised since they usually brew good quality beers but if you stick to their regulars and you can get your hands on 8th Day American IPA (8η Μερα), Kleos Imperial Stout and Sunday Honey Golden Ale I think you won’t be disappointed... Enjoy your holidays

ManforallSaisons and Redrover like this.
  17. ManforallSaisons

I always grab a Septem if I find one. Good to know they've added to the lineup (not sure I'll really have stout weather but we'll see). Not to be awkward, but which ones didn't make the grade for you, if you want to say?

Others here, feel free to chime in.

18. BeerGlassesCollector

Trader

HolyDay.... After 2 sips I just drained it. Very surprised this beer made it out the brewery!

19. rex_4539

Society

Georgiabeer likes this.
  20. BeerGlassesCollector

Trader

So they don’t bottle and distribute?

21. rex_4539

Society

Extremely rarely and extremely limited supply.

BeerGlassesCollector likes this.
  22. ManforallSaisons

Thread bump ahead of holidays in a couple weeks! New stars I should be on the lookout for? I’ll have 1 or possibly 2 nights in Athens and then some Cyclades so obviously this won’t be a beer-hunting trip but still. At least on Paros there is a craft bar I’ve been meaning to go to. I was at least pretty happy to find Nissos Tholi right at the end of last year’s trip. But if more new stuff going on, let me know.

23. ManforallSaisons

24. rex_4539

Society

25. ManforallSaisons

Before my annual pilgrimage (brief stop in Athens, then to Paros), anything new and interesting to look out for? (Although, honestly, all I really need is a story carrying Nisos Tholi, the unfiltered one, and I'll be happy.)

26. rex_4539

Society

The usual places are still here and they carry great stuff at this time of year.