Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Atrial Rubicite Release (8/30, 8/31, 9/1, 9/6, 9/7 or 9/8)

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ExperimentalAles, Aug 20, 2013.

1. cyde

Beer Trader

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Ceres Park is a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon considering the best Austin brewery and pizzeria are collocated. I need more Sparky pizza and 8 ounce fills!

markdurr likes this.
  2. pawpaw

Beer Trader

lol. made out like a bandit.

Daemose likes this.
  3. HookemHops13

Headed ouy yhere right now. I was planning ongrabbing some VM but looks like that's a no go... If anyone headed out today has a VM to spare and could bring I will love you long time. Also have some COF i could trade.

4. UT-Alex

If you're up there around 1:30pm today let me know. I might have one to spare for someone who hasn't got a bottle of VM yet.

jbeezification and krmkrm like this.
  5. HookemHops13

I'll be there. Light blue shirt dark blue shorts.Blue

Daemose likes this.
  6. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

You don't have a license to sell alcohol, that's the difference

7. MattSweatshirt

Beer Trader

I was in line when one of the girls said there were 3 bottles of VM left and picked one up.
    Atrial was amazing. Ol' Oi and VM were sweet. The Experimental Sour was trash though. Sorry to say. It was like drinking a Fantome(in a bad way). Rubbery/band aid aromas and flavor going on. The carbonation kept a head the whole time while the other beers I had at the same time all dissipated after a while. Don't know if that relates to any problems though.

8. Daemose

Beer Trader

That doesn't sound anything like the Experimental Sour that I've had two separate times.

AdamR46, Compton25 and Greigh like this.
  9. MattSweatshirt

Beer Trader

I hadn't heard anything bad about it and there was a bottle at the bottleshare. I was not feeling it. Bartender dropped some yeast in it but I wouldn't think that would really matter.

10. Greigh

I really enjoyed the experimental sour. If it was for sale I would have walked away with several bottles.

11. donkey_rhubarb85

had a great time on saturday. i was told i bought the last vm that day :rolleyes: sorry

Greigh likes this.
  12. Greigh

Once this account matures a little I will be willing to trade my 3 vm... :)

13. lndsy

Haha small world, I just ran into the girl that guy was with, she was talking about how lucky he got to be able to buy a bottle last minute.

14. jacobbocce72

Looks like Sunday is the day to go... Just got back with my 3 bottles. No lines to speak of really, Stanley's was pretty quick, great overall. Now, if it just wasn't 100 & something degrees...

Had Atrial, Experimental, and Ol 'Oi on draft... Really sad I've only got 3 Atrial bottles now.

mhenson42 and Daemose like this.
  15. Compton25

Beer Trader

2nd that. The bottle Alex gave me tasted like unicorn tears. Thanks again Alex!

16. mhenson42

Beer Trader

Just got back as well. Very laid back today, though there was alot of people there. Had 5 8 oz pours of AR and a 4 oz pour of Experimental....Plus some Mexican Cake I brought to share. :D

17. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

My wife and I came up this afternoon and loved it. Second time for me and first for her. We loved Atrial Rubicite and the Experimental Sour. Ol' Oi'...delicious. And got my 3 bottles.

Jeff, should we look at collating one or two or enjoying them in the next year or so?

18. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

I would definitely suggest collating the beer. Please attach a video when you do so. This should be interesting.

Riccymon likes this.
  19. channels321

Beer Trader

Thought I saw a bottle sitting on a table, should have stopped and asked for a taste

20. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

Hahah good ole iPhone. *Cellaring

thirdeye11 likes this.
  21. xpimptastikx

I had a great time out there yesterday and am super happy Sunday wasn't as busy as everyone said Saturday was. I was a little disappointed that they were already sold out of medium sized shirts, and no other size... Seriously how often do beer shirts well out in medium first? Maybe Jester King will make another run?

Riccymon likes this.
  22. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

That's one hell of a BA score this thing has going.

hash_tagger likes this.
  23. cfh64

Beer Trader

If it makes you feel any better they were out of XL FM shirts on Fri. Not that XL would have helped me. Those damn American apparel sizes are about 3 sizes below the average shirt size. I bought an an AA shirt at Revolution in Chicago. When I got home I thought I had bought a kids shirt. I almost had to cut the damn thing off of me it was so tight.

24. nsheehan

Beer Trader

My understanding is that the bottleS of AR released were batch 1, and the AR for purchase was batch 2. They tasted slightly different, IIRC. I noticed this before being told that there were two different batches, if my memory serves me well.
    Anyone else notice this?

25. greenspointexas

Beer Trader

Don't know how/why VM is sold out. That stuff would still be on shelves if they had distributed it like all the other releases

TTUJohn likes this.
  26. cfh64

Beer Trader

Brewery only releases have that effect. I was pleasantly surprised, my 2nd fav behind Atrial.

27. nsheehan

Beer Trader

How do you justify this?
    If it was on shelves it'd be 'easier' to get (not driving out to Ceres, though that's arguable), and plenty of non-Austin folks were happy to trade/buy VM from people who were going to JK to get it.

28. TTUJohn

But if it were at stores if wouldn't be as likely to get bought up by the case for trading or selling to other people

29. TxUltraRunner

Beer Trader

I definitely noticed a difference from the bottle I had a couple months ago and what I had on tap. Enjoyed the bottle version better, but who knows. Had two 8 oz pours of batch 2 nontheless. Batch 1 seemed a bit more balanced between it's tartness and raspberry. Was highly pleased I had the opportunity to try both.

30. cfh64

Beer Trader

Easy.

1.) Brewery only releases increase hype and/or trade value. I personally enjoy VM very much but I've seen plenty if other brewery only release beers (other states) that suck IMO but they sell out due to the reasons I mentioned above. If that same beer was distributed (even in smaller quantities) it wouldn't gain the same attention. A brewery could piss in a bottle, make it brewery only release and people would buy cases of it without ever trying it. I'm not saying this happens in every case but a lot.

2.) If VM hit shelves it would probably last longer because people wouldn't want to spend the effort driving around to 10 different stores for a couple of bottles. In other words, it was easily attainable for anyone going to the release.

As I had mentioned in other posts Boxers is a great beer IMO and has less numbers than other brewery only release beers yet it wasn't impossible to find when it was distributed and sat on shelves in some parts of the state. If JK made that brewery only (ie VM) I believe the same thing would happen, it would sell out.

I'm not saying VM wouldn't sell quickly if it hit distro but I bet it would last longer then it did after the first weekend. Also, I AM NOT criticizing JK or brewery only releases, just stating my opinion as to why it sold out so quick.

jl28r1, Mcal and nsheehan like this.
  31. nsheehan

Beer Trader

Ah, thanks for explaining it (and John). I was pretty curious. I try to disregard hype in most of my beer decisions, but as beer culture grows I suppose it's unavoidable.

32. cfh64

Beer Trader

That's just my opinion, who knows though. If BCBS was brewery only I bet it would sell out in a heart beat but in some parts of the country it's still on shelves. If Dark Lord hit distro would it sit on shelves? Anyone's guess and obviously total bottle numbers are a huge factor but that ties back into everything else already mentioned.

33. Lutter

Dark Lord would be much lower in ranking if it were a shelf beer. Especially recent batches.

34. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

I think batch 1 was in bottles, batch 2 is on tap.

krmkrm likes this.
  35. nsheehan

Beer Trader

Yes, I wasn't clear. AR released in bottles for off-site was Batch 1. AR for sale inside for on-site was batch 2.

Short answer, we asked Jeff on Saturday and he said a year or two. I'm sure everyone would like to hear a good explanation from the brewer though.

I am hoping to save my bottle til batch 3 comes out (if there are plans for batch 3) and do a side-by-side.

36. UtisTheLaw

Subscriber Beer Trader

Batch 2 is also bottled, I think they said to be released later this year. Batch 1 is from March.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  37. markdurr

I can't remember whom I spoke with, but she said she was "a partner's wife with the brewery" as she was pouring my AR on friday. She was super cool and sweet. I asked her a couple questions about AR and she was the one whom informed me that we were sipping batch 2, but bought batch 1 bottles. I asked her how long should we hold onto our AR bottles, and she told me no more than 6 months would be ideal, maybe longer. She told me to share one and save the other two for special occasions, but definitely not to sit on them for too long.

just figured I would share that with you all.

38. markdurr

She also told me this was true, and they had to sit for a couple months before being released. She smirked at me when I asked if there was a date set, and said hinted to later this year if I remember correctly.

39. squirrely2005

Thanks. I was curious about this. Maybe I'll drink it for christmas or something.

40. pwsoldier

Completely agree. Hell, Salt Lick has become a shelf turd and it's way better than VM imo.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe