Atwater rebranding, adding three new beers in January

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Tripel_Threat, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Billet likes this.
  2. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

New look, same recipes? :astonished:

tommyz and hopnado like this.
  3. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I actually like the new labels, but until the beer inside improves, I doubt this will convince anyone around here to drink it.

4. Jonl0424

Jonl0424 Initiate (93) May 23, 2015 Michigan

Can't hide crap

craigo19, hopnado and JohnnyHopps like this.
  5. Billet

Billet Devotee (498) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan
    Society

Atwater is currently one of my favorite breweries. They are one of the few Michigan breweries that consistently brew German style beer. The new labels will certainly make their bottles more noticeable on the shelves.

#5 Billet, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  6. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (371) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I've always thought that the original taproom Atwater had set up at their Joseph Campeau facility was one of the coolest places to enjoy a brew. Having to walk through pallets of beer to get to it and sitting right beside gigantic fermenters made their average tasting stuff seem better than what it actually was.

I just read that they opened up a new taproom and the original one is only for special events...bummer.

tommyz likes this.
  7. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

I'm truly shocked that Atwater is still afloat. Even though my expectations are always very low whenever I try one of their beers, they always seem to deliver with below mediocre brews. This brewery needs an enema

8. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

I do a beer order at a store and their flagship beers (Vanilla Java Porter, Dirty Blonde) sell consistently well. Those are some folks regular beers. The seasonals do decently too, as my bar went through three kegs of Winter Bock.

9. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

I'm not here to pile on Atwater, I'll just say that their beers aren't for me. I've had plenty of them and nothing has really stood out (with exception of vanilla java porter being exceptionally off-putting).

Part of me wonders if their success is due to occupying so much shelf space. Their beer is EVERYWHERE, usually prominently displayed at the grocery store and bigger liquor stores.

It's like the Costanza method of wearing a woman down. "I'm like a commercial jingle...At first it's a little irritating, then you hear it a few times, you hum it in the shower, by the third date its 'By Mennen' (Grand Cir-cus)."

Tripel_Threat and westlaunboy like this.
  10. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Ugh. Grand Circus. First time in my life I the only word I could think of to describe a beer was "boring."
    And, although I haven't had them in a while, I remember liking Vanilla Java and Decadent Dark Chocolate.

11. Billet

Society

I rarely, if ever, buy IPAs any more so I can't comment on those. I like Atwater because they do not focus so heavily on IPAs. Although, they do appear to have some new IPAs along with the new labels.

I really like the D-Light Kolsch style, Purple Gang Pilsner, Detroit Pale Ale, WinterBock, and Cherry Stout. One of my local shops usually has these nice and fresh. I'm already nearly out of Lebkuchen Christmas Ale and need to get some more.

I hope their new labels and updated tap room do well for them.

12. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I don't really have an opinion one way or another on Atwater, as I've only had a few of their offerings. However, I do really like the new branding. I'm also a little bit ashamed to admit that I enjoy Whango--mango + witbier is a good combination for my palate. Also, it's a fantastic summer crusher in cans.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find cans since I first ran across a 12-pack last month.

13. michman

michman Aspirant (205) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

i quite enjoy the Hop a Peel. The space near GP is also pretty neat.

14. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (156) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

I stopped buying their beer when they were putting the wrong beer in bottles with the wrong label, or the wrong label on the wrong beer, whatever..

Also when the cherry stout 4 pack I bought exploded all over my kitchen and they never bothered to respond to my email with pictures of said beer in the sink with foam pouring out of them.

They recently came back to WI and a buddie of mine bought a four pack of the barrel aged porter. WTF is that shit? It was a sour freakin mess. Not even close to a porter and damn sure no barrel taste. Atwater can suck a fat one!

15. Yohann

Yohann Aspirant (215) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

"Desperately ISO Atwater!" said no one, ever.

I actually had to talk someone into trying VR last year, because they'd had Atwater's Vanilla Java and decided from that that putting vanilla and beer together was a really terrible idea.

Angerhaus likes this.
  16. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Sadly the image seems to be broken on the article. As a designer I really wanted to see.

On the boat that Atwater doesn't impress me at all though. I on,y get it if I am at an event and it is my only choice.

17. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

I was sitting at the bar at Horrock's a couple months ago when one of the single bottles in the mix-6 section exploded like a bomb. Turned out to be a Detroit Pale Ale. I wonder what it would have tasted like.

18. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

If you check out their website, there's a scroll with four of their current ales that have the redone artwork. The odd thing is if you go to the "Atwater Brands" link, it has all the current (old?) designs.

19. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Was in a store today and saw them. Interesting direction. Still not on my list to buy.

20. Billet

Society

At least if you see the new labels, you know it is recently bottled. I have bought Decadent and Dirty Blonde with the new labels. Decadent is actually a pretty good English Porter, IMO. Will buy again.

21. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

they should invest in improving the mediocre beer itself before the labels

22. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

That's one thing I will give Atwater. It's been over a year since I've had one, but I can still recall that DDC has one of the finest aromas around. Don't think I'd ever turn one down if offered.

23. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,402) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

They still bottle date, it's just not on the label anymore. Look on the neck for black ink. Example format: MAR0916.

On a side note, I have enjoyed all of the new brands they released since the turn of the year. They just got a new head brewer, and it really is a noticeable difference for me in quality.

24. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

I admit, I've been eyeing Whango since Teo friends independently told me they enjoyed it, although they tried it on tap rather than a bottle. I don't get out to the bars that often, maybe I'll grab a single of some of the new ones.

25. Billet

Society

The Tunnel Ram Imperial Bock was really good, if you can find one less than a few months old. It seemed to be a late winter release. Cash For Gold is a pretty solid amber lager. I have not seen the Corktown Rye, but it sounds like it should be alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.