Austin Beer Works Heavy Machinery Double IPA 2015

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Chuk_Hell, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Texas

.. Hit town today. If you hurry, you can get some before I buy it all.

2. txjustin

txjustin Initiate (76) May 29, 2013 Texas

In Houston yet?

Jon4than and tx_beer_man like this.
  3. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Disciple (389) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I already got my case! Will likely buy a few more before its all said and done. Wish this one was brewed more often.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  4. dkw0063

dkw0063 Disciple (366) Dec 1, 2012 Texas

If anyone I know is going to Austin can you pick me up a 4 pack please?

5. TexasStout

TexasStout Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2007 Texas

Haha! Funny!

NOT.

6. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aspirant (273) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Don't think this will make it to Houston. If it does, Spec's will sit on it until November.

7. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Mmmm! ABW Barleywine!

TxUltraRunner and tpgraham like this.
  8. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Crusader (711) Dec 28, 2012 Texas

Heavy Machinery has never been available in Houston, and I doubt it ever will. Hell the can even says "Available only in Austin". However Smith St does have a ABW wall right now that I was pretty happy to see. Always nice to get some Pearl snap and Fire Eagle in H town.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  9. cyde

cyde Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Texas

Be careful at Spec's Brodie. They're up to scumbag moves as usual by adding old Black IPA to every case of fresh Double IPA.

10. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,710) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Thats some sneaky as bull

11. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I'll be in Austin on Saturday for about a week. Would either of you kind gentleman hip me to where I might find some? Thanks!

12. Dogleg

Dogleg Devotee (481) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

13. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (100) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

Guessing it will be around for awhile...seems like they've upped production this year. Combined with the popularity of the Greenhouse IPA series, I've seen their others be easy finds.

But fresh HM DIPA is hard to beat!

14. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

East 1st Grocery, Whichcraft, any Central Market or Whole Foods, pretty much any HEB. You really shouldn't have any trouble finding this one, just double check that the box says Double IPA and not Black IPA (or buy both)

East1stgrocery and ONovoMexicano like this.
  15. PatrickInAustinTx

Trader

Would be curious to know the numbers but this one won't stick around as long as the half, black, belgian, or english IPA's. Its on another level IMO. Although I do like that half IPA.

And yeah, go throw bags of money at Sam @East1stgrocery and take all of his beers

16. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (100) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

Half as long would still be a month...if be surprised if it can't be found for at 2-3 weeks.

17. MLDucky

MLDucky Defender (616) Oct 12, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I agree, very well done. This and the fresh hop I always look forward to each year.

18. PatrickInAustinTx

Trader

Haha that's true.

19. Austinbeerworks

Austinbeerworks Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2010 Texas

We make 500-600 cases of each release (1 case = 6 4-packs). As we add new accounts, those get spread out more and each account gets a slightly smaller allocation, but y'all shouldn't have any problems finding it over the next couple of weeks.

ABW, Martinus, nsheehan and 2 others like this.
  20. Austinbeerworks

Austinbeerworks Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2010 Texas

That's not good for anyone involved. Thanks for the heads-up; they'll be getting a visit.

21. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (283) Nov 17, 2014 Texas
    Trader

This one sounds awesome, wish I could break away for an Austin road trip.

22. cyde

cyde Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Texas

Every case had at least one Black IPA and some contained two. I was going to email your crew, but I will just leave this here....

The salesperson assured me the entire display was DIPA, but he may have been oblivious to his manager's shenanigans.

[​IMG]

#22 cyde, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    TexasStout, Martinus, mwbbq and 8 others like this.
  23. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 Texas

That's some shenanigans for sure.

24. Dogleg

Dogleg Devotee (481) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

East1stgrocery likes this.
  25. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas

Wow...

26. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (490) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

And people wonder why Spec's gets a bad rap. Exhibit 1 your honor.

Martinus likes this.
  27. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (185) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

28. Martinus

Martinus Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2014 Texas

I picked up a couple of 4-packs at Spec's 290. I didn't have any issues with them. They had two stacks of Heavy Machinery and the different styles were separate. Read the print on the box before you buy. (read the dates also)

29. TuckedTee

TuckedTee Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2015 Belgium

Double IPA is soooooooo good. Like damn. Thank you, ABW! I'm polishing off my last can tonight and scooping up more ASAP.

My only minor store complaint, and I never have one about East 1st, but they didn't have any cold Double IPA. Maybe that's asking for too much, but I wanted to take some home and drink right away but the only Heavy Machinery in the cooler was Black IPA, I'm not sure if that was done on purpose or not but in the future I'd like to have at least some cold new Heavy Machinery in the back.

30. Trelvis

Trelvis Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2015 Texas

Its outstanding. Had one yesterday

31. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (490) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Why yes, yes it is.

cyde likes this.
  32. East1stgrocery

East1stgrocery Initiate (62) May 9, 2012 Texas

NOPE! it was not done on purpose nor we ever do anything to trick customers into buying anything they do no want -

We have very few boxes of BLACK IPA left and because of that we kept some of those & some Double IPA in the cold box and because of limited space in our cans cooler I put 3 Double IPA boxes & 2 Black IPA boxes in the same row ( but i always make sure that the style of the BEER is facing towards the front so nobody grabs the other by mistake) but i guess people bought the other 3 cold DOUBLE IPA before you and we had 2 BLACK IPA left until we put some more in there?...

we always keep few cases of ABW Heavy machinery in the big cooler & bring it out when we are out in the cans cooler :slight_smile:
    did you ask Abdul(evening shift guy) to see if we have any in the big cooler ?

We do our best to do what we can to keep most of our beers cold but with so many new beers and with such little space we have - we are unable to do what we would love to do BUT we still give ABW & Hops & grains VIP treatment just because they're my FAVORITE :-)

We always welcome recommendations/Suggestions on how we can improve our service , please feel free to Inbox me any time there is something :-)

Happy Easter ya'll!

Cheers,
    Sam
    E1G

33. TuckedTee

TuckedTee Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2015 Belgium

Thanks Sam! When I got there only 2 Black IPA 4-packs were in the cooler, so I guess I missed out on the cold Double IPA. I asked Abdul if he had any in the back but he told me no, maybe those sold too? Anyway I appreciate the response!

East1stgrocery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.