Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News Australia and US: Lots of similarities in beer drinking choices.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by drtth, Sep 3, 2017.

1. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,219) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Thought some would be interested in reading about this Survey conducted in Australia. There are some very interesting similarities in the choices beer drinkers are making in Australia and the US.

For example, in both countries, Independent ownership seems to make a big difference to many who purchase beer. This definitely raises the possibility that some of the things we see happening in the US are also happing in other international locations.

"The 2017 Australian Craft Beer Survey by Beer Cartel is the largest, publicly available, study of Australian craft beer drinking trends. It follows on from the 2016 version of the same study.

This year's survey received widespread support across the industry. In total over 17,000 craft beer drinkers took part.

Craft beer is the only segment of the Australian beer market which is in continuous growth, with overall consumption of beer in decline. The data that follows provides an extremely accurate birds-eye view of this young and exciting industry.

Key findings from the research include:

- Brewery ownership is important: 64% want to know who owns the beer they’re drinking.

- There is a strong preference for craft beer from independently owned Australian breweries: 99% are happy to buy craft beer from an independent Australian owned brewery. In comparison just 23% are happy to buy craft beer from a large multi-national company and 32% from super market owned brands.

- There is strong interest for a seal to identify whether a beer is from an independent Australian brewery: 82% indicated that an independent brewers seal would have a medium to large impact on the craft beer that they purchase.

- Pirate Life is Australia’s best craft brewery: voted number one by Australian craft beer drinkers, ahead of Feral Brewing which took out the top position in last year’s study.

- Pale Ale reigns as Australia's most consumed craft beer style: Pale Ale is enjoyed by 92% of craft beer drinkers Australia-wide."

Further details are available here:

http://www.beercartel.com.au/blog/2017-australian-craft-beer-survey-results/

#1 drtth, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  2. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (427) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Good to see my fellow Aussies are making good decisions, staying away from "Tooheys, VB, 4X and a little cascade" (Big points for finding out that quote)

Bitterbill likes this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,219) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

Is Cooper's considered craft?

4. aussiebeer

Beer Trader

In Australia? I don't think so, It's probably too large to be considered craft. But It's the only Australian beer that I can get in Chicago on a regular basis.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,287) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Current barrelage of not quite 700k bbl/yr according to this article about their new malthouse:
    So, well-within the "small" criteria ( "under 6m bbl" ) used in the US, anyway.

tzieser and Bitterbill like this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (732) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I spent a few weeks in Australia in 1999. I kinda told my friends there then that Gore would be president. Anyway, I was scouting around through the huge expanse of South Australia, visiting suppliers and seeking new brands (wine). The one great standard that I found was Cooper's. The US$ was strong then and I marveled at food and drink values. Adelaide reminds me of San Francisco or Boston, being walkable. I went to Coopers and drank the beers all about town. The seafood was stunning and the people lovely. Cooper's Sparkling Ale was great and very unique. I would hope that Coopers still stands strong as a local icon.

7. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

One can do much worse than drinking Cooper's. The funny thing aboot Sparkling Ale in bottles in the US is that they're cloudy from my experience. Did you find that to be the case in Oz? When I lived there, each state had and served their own beers barring a state wide brewery strike.

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,219) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

On more than one visit to Sydney within the last 10 years or so it was my experience that the bottles were at least lighly hazy when poured.

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. rgordon

I drank most of them on draft and don't recall a particular cloudiness. I have seen this in the bottled product in the USA. I haven't checked, but maybe there is a bit of conditioning on export product. In any case, getting any beer fresh from Adelaide to Kansas or North Carolina will always be a challenge. I haven't seen any around here for quite a while.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Good to know, thanks!

11. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Yeah, the bottles say they are bottle conditioned.

12. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

I forgot to mention that the Pale Ale was in town for a short while.
    The Best Extra Stout was the one I fancied the most. Similar to Snake River Zonker.

rgordon and tzieser like this.
  13. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

This was probably the hoppiest beer I had when I was in Australia.

[​IMG]

Looking back, I reckon that it was way ahead of its time.

aussiebeer likes this.
  14. tzieser

tzieser Champion (852) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The only Australian beer I've had is Coopers (yes I'm well aware Fosters doesn't count). Their stout was reallly good. Would love to see more of their products make it to this hemisphere (or if you're a flat-Earther, 'across the board' or whatever it is you guys think)

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. rgordon

That's cool. 100% Aussie packaging!

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. aussiebeer

Beer Trader

I drank that when I was a baby LOL!!!!

Bitterbill likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.