Averagely Perfect American Brown Ale - Poll #11- Other Adjuncts

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Mar 30, 2019.

?

What "Other Adjuncts" should advance to the combo poll?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2019.
  1. Unmalted Oats

77.3%
  2. Unmalted Wheat

18.2%
  3. Unmalted Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sucrose/Glucose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Brown Sugar/Demerara/Turbinado/Piloncillo

4.5%
  6. D-XXX Syrup (color TBD)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Honey

4.5%
  8. Pale Treacle (Golden Syrup)

4.5%
  9. Mollasses/Black Treacle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Invert Sugar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Poll #10 determined that Brown Malt (~60L) would advance to the combo poll. This poll (and possibly the next) will determine what "Other Adjunct(s)" advance to that combo poll.

You can select more than one choice. The #1 choice will automatically advance to the combo poll. Beyond that, any other choices that get votes from at least 30% of respondents will advance to another poll to determine exact combinations that advance to the combo poll. Want something that's not listed? Write it in. If your first choice is losing badly, consider jumping to a similar choice that has more votes.

I recommend you think about this in terms of not only your personal preferences, but also in the context of the ABV and Final Gravity (and thus the attenuation) already selected, base malt already selected, and fermentables still possible, as well as any possible yeast strain selection that might be kicking around in your head.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via private message. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently. Votes from anyone trolling the thread are null and void.

The Averagely Perfect American Brown Ale Recipe so far...

Target ABV: 5.6%
    OG: 1.056
    FG: 1.013

Grains/Fermentables:
    - Golden Promise: IN
    - Pale Chocolate Malt (English, ~220L), American Crystal 60 and Golden Naked Oats: possibly in, inseparably
    - Brown Malt: possibly in
    - Other Adjuncts: possibly in

2. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2009 New York

With golden naked oats already (likely) in, I'm no longer thinking we need any adjuncts.

3. Supergenious

Supergenious Savant (1,249) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I agree. So if we don’t want any, do we just not vote? I don’t see a “none of the above option”. But I’m guessing the highest vote moves on, and then removed in buyers remorse.

dmtaylor likes this.
  4. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2009 New York

I don't think it will even take a remorse poll, I think we get another shot at all the combinations we've voted on. So for instance we can still get rid of chocolate/GNOs if we want (they are inextricably linked at this point). Of course I don't think we will, but anyway my understanding is there will be a combined poll with all of the combos we've set up so far. The adjunct won't be linked to anything and we can vote it down then.

I guess I'm voting oats on the (extremely unlikely) off chance that we vote down chocolate malt and GNOs in the combo poll.

wspscott likes this.
  5. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

6. Buck89

Buck89 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,718) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is my current plan.

7. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

No horse in this race

8. TheWorstBrewerEver

TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

agree

GormBrewhouse and FeDUBBELFIST like this.
  9. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Savant (1,125) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Another vote for none of the above. This feels just like the last presidential election. ;D

MrOH likes this.
  10. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

I went with wheat to be different, primarily as a body builder. I am surprised there isn't more love for the sugars, because it's an English thing, and we already voted Golden Promise, English Pale Chocolate, and Golden Naked Oats in our American Brown Ale.

frozyn and utahbeerdude like this.
  11. wspscott

wspscott Pooh-Bah (1,934) May 25, 2006 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society

If I was going to vote for a sugar, it would be invert sugar, but I would rather have a more "chewy" vs a drier beer, so no sugar for me.

12. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

Unmalted Oats advances to the combo poll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.