Averagely Perfect Kölsch - Poll #19 - 5 Minute Hop Qtys

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, May 23, 2020.

?

Choose ONE Quantity for EACH of the two Hops in the 5 Minute Addition

Poll closed May 25, 2020.
  1. Hallertau Mittelfrüh - 0.1 ounces

20.0%
  2. Hallertau Mittelfrüh - 0.25 ounces

15.0%
  3. Hallertau Mittelfrüh - 0.5 ounces

50.0%
  4. Hallertau Mittelfrüh - 0.75 ounces

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Hallertau Mittelfrüh - 1 ounce

5.0%
  6. Tettnang - 0.1 ounces

30.0%
  7. Tettnang - 0.25 ounces

10.0%
  8. Tettnang - 0.5 ounces

45.0%
  9. Tettnang - 0.75 ounces

5.0%
  10. Tettnang - 1 ounce

5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,957) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #18 <- determined that hops will be added at 60 minutes and 5 minutes left in the boil.

Since Hallertau Mittelfrüh and Tettnang were both selected as flavor/aroma hops, and the 5 minute addition was the only flavor/aroma addition selected, both Hallertau Mittelfrüh and Tettnang will be in the 5 minute addition. This poll will determine how much of each. In this poll you should click on two checkboxes... one choice for each hop variety. Do not click on more than one choice for each hop. If you want an amount that's not listed for a particular hop, write it in, and don't click a checkbox for that particular hop. Write-ins need to be clear... if I can't understand what you're saying, or if it's not clear that it's a write-in, it will be ignored. I will be discarding outliers (if necessary), computing weighted averages, and then rounding to the nearest 0.05 of an ounce for each hop. For this recipe, I am assuming 3.8% Alpha Acids for Hallertau Mittelfrüh and 4.4% Alpha Acids for Tettnang. (And as with other Averagely Perfect recipes, this one will be for 5 gallons into the fermenter.)

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via PM. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently.

The Averagely Perfect Kölsch Recipe so far...

ABV: 4.8%
    IBUs: 25 Tinseth
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.008
    Recommended Mash Temp: 149F
    Recommended Mash Time: 60 minutes
    Yeast: Wyeast 2565 Kölsch

Grain Bill:
    - German Pilsner Malt (90%)
    - Wheat Malt (10%)

Hops:
    60 Minutes - Hallertau Mittelfrüh and/or Tettnang
    5 Minutes - Hallertau Mittelfrüh and Tettnang

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

riptorn likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,883) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Or you could look at the recipe that Jamil Zainesheff published in the book "Brewing Classic Styles" where he solely added hops for bittering.

Choose the 'expert' you prefer.:thinking_face:

Cheers!

4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I usually use Jamil's recipes as my starting point, and despite posting that I have enjoyed a Kolsch with a fairly large late addition (for a Kolsch), I voted for a 60 min only addition, pretty much because you advocated for it and convinced me it might help me better identify with the esters. However, the decision to add late hops, has been made, so I was just trying to indicate what a late hopping might look like in a Kolsch that might be considered to style.

The truth is, Gordon's recipes often look a little too complex to me, and this one has multiple head scratchers -- a very small amount of Vienna, a crystal malt addition, a 30 minute hop addition. However, I'll probably wait until I at least have one Ninkasi under my belt before I tell him to his face.

frozyn and utahbeerdude like this.
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,957) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

After removing outliers, the means (rounded to the nearest 0.05) are:

Hallertau Mittelfrüh: 0.35 ounces
    Tettnang: 0.4 ounces