Averagely Perfect Kölsch - Poll #20 - 60 Minute Hop Variety(s)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, May 25, 2020.

?

Choose the Hop Variety(s) for the 60 minute bittering addition

Poll closed May 27, 2020.
  1. Hallertau Mittelfrüh

40.9%
  2. Tettnang

18.2%
  3. Hallertau Mittelfrüh and Tettnang

40.9%
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,957) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #19 <- determined that the 5 Minute hop addition would be 0.35 ounces of Hallertau Mittelfrüh and 0.40 ounces of Tettnang.

This poll will determine which hop(s) will be used in the 60 minute bittering addition. There will be ~22.5 IBUs coming from this addition.

The potential combinations are unique. Straight plurality wins.

For those looking ahead, the next poll will determine proportions of hops (if necessary) for this addition. If the proportion poll is not necessary (i.e. if there's only one bittering hop variety), the next poll will be for fermentation temperature.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via PM. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently. Pollster reserves the right to cast (or not) tie breaking votes.

The Averagely Perfect Kölsch Recipe so far...

ABV: 4.8%
    IBUs: 25 Tinseth
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.008
    Recommended Mash Temp: 149F
    Recommended Mash Time: 60 minutes
    Yeast: Wyeast 2565 Kölsch

Grain Bill:
    - German Pilsner Malt (90%)
    - Wheat Malt (10%)

Hops:
    - 60 Minutes - Hallertau Mittelfrüh and/or Tettnang
    - 5 Minutes:
    ----Hallertau Mittelfrüh - 0.35 ounces
    ----Tettnang - 0.40 ounces

2. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (389) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Running the hops through BrewCipher returned 1.45 oz of Hallertau only OR 1.25 oz of Tettnang only to hit the ~ 22.5 IBU’s from the 60 min addition. Didn’t bother working up any of the various combos that could be made available.
    I overrode the default AA%’s in BC with the assumptions made in the first post of Poll # 19; 3.8% Hallertau, 4.4% Tettnang.

Please correct me if something looks off.

MrOH likes this.
  3. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

With the given that hallertauer and tettnanger are both in the 5-minute addition to me it's a no-brainer to have both in the bittering hop addition. I would not want to purchase an ounce of either of those hops to use less than half of that ounce in this beer.

Naugled and MrOH like this.
  4. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,369) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Makes sense. Figure the couple of IBUs that would be missing from .65oz of Hallertau and .6oz of Tettnang would be negligible.

scottakelly likes this.
  5. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (389) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

True dat.....It's doubtful I could distinguish between 23 or 25 IBU's....and the stated AA% on a pack is, in my mind, a guide and no guarantee it's accurate at the time of use.

Didn't mean to make it sound like I was pushing for Hallertau only or Tettnang only. I was just too lazy to run through the combos of the two to hit the predetermined IBU's. If the recipe is followed, I don't see how one can end up not having an unused portion of an ounce.

6. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,957) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'm casting my tie-breaker vote for Hallertau Mittelfrüh and Tettnang.