Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #29C - Flavor/Aroma Hops Preliminaries "C" Segment

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 22, 2015.

?

Select one or more flavor/aroma hops. Vote in all three concurrent polls (A, B, and C).

Poll closed Feb 24, 2015.
  1. Pacific Gem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Palisade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Saaz

57.9%
  4. Simcoe

7.9%
  5. Spalt

7.9%
  6. Styrian Goldings

50.0%
  7. Tettnanger

21.1%
  8. Topaz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Willamette

10.5%
  10. None of These

10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE VOTING! You need to understand it for the results to be valid. There are Three Concurrent Mini-Polls. Now we'll start the process to select specific flavor and aroma hop varieties. Here's how it will work. Because there are only 10 slots available per poll, and because I'm going to list 27 hops, this poll is split into three concurrent mini-polls. You should vote in all three polls, and you can select more than one variety per poll. At the end, I will combine the results to determine the top varieties for further (potential) whittling. It's important to vote in each of the three concurrent polls...if you don't want any of the hops in a particular mini-poll, you should vote 'None of These" in that mini-poll. If you want a hop not listed, write it in.

For those thinking ahead, the top one variety (based on percentage from the three combined polls) will be in. None, some, or all of the next three varieties may be in, depending on the result of a poll that will determine just that (i.e. whether to add any of them to the #1 hop). After that, the next two varieties (#s 5 and 6 from the original voting) may get in, but they are dark horses, and each of those would require a Super Majority to get in. The reason why those two will be re-considered at all is that you might find them more desirable as 'accents' in the context of the results of the polls that will get us #1 (and perhaps #2, #3, and/or #4). If you think there should be more than 6 hop varieties in this beer, I'm afraid you are SOL.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
    ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002
    Mash Recommendation: Single Infusion @ 150F, 60 Minutes, no Mashout
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%
    90 Minute Boil
    IBUs: 24

Grain Bill:
    Belgian Pilsner Malt (68%)
    Flaked Wheat (17%)
    Vienna malt (15%)

Yeasts:
    WLP565/Wyeast 3724 at beginning of fermentation
    WLP644, 0.5 Liter Starter Recommended, added to primary when beer/wort reaches gravity of 1.033

2. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

Voted for Saaz only.

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Vot d in all 3, but where are Crystl, Nugget, and Meridian?

4. VikeMan

Society

You can write them in if you want. MrOh has already posted a vote for Crystal in one of the other segments.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  5. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (484) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Just keeping at least one of the polls on Page 1 till closing time . . .

6. GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2013 Colorado

I'd write in perle...

7. VikeMan

Society

Saaz is in.
    Styrian Goldings, Hallertau, and/or East Kent Goldings are possibly in.
    Nelson Sauvin and/or Amarillo are also possibly in, but are the longshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.