Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #36 - FO/Whirlpool/Hopstand Hop Variety(s)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Mar 7, 2015.

?

Choose the Hop Variety(s) for the FO/Whirlpool/Hopstand Addition

Poll closed Mar 9, 2015.
  1. Saaz

7.1%
  2. Hallertau

14.3%
  3. Saaz and Hallertau

78.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #35 determined that the 10 minutes hop addition will be 0.75 ounces each of Saaz and Hallertau. This poll (#36) will determine which of the flavor/aroma hops will be used in the FO/Whirlpool/Hopstand addition. The potential combinations are unique. Straight plurality wins.

For those looking ahead, the next poll will determine the hop quantity(s) for the Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand addition hop(s) chosen in this poll.

This poll will be open for 36 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
    ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002
    Mash Recommendation: Single Infusion @ 150F, 60 Minutes, no Mashout
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%
    90 Minute Boil
    IBUs: 24

Grain Bill:
    Belgian Pilsner Malt (68%)
    Flaked Wheat (17%)
    Vienna malt (15%)

Yeasts:
    WLP565/Wyeast 3724 at beginning of fermentation
    WLP644, 0.5 Liter Starter Recommended, added to primary when beer/wort reaches gravity of 1.033

Hops:
    60 Minutes - Saaz and/or Hallertau (TBD)
    10 Minutes - 0.75 ounces Saaz , 0.75 ounces Hallertau

Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand - Saaz and/or Hallertau (TBD)

2. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Agreed.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I wanted to cash in on a coupon before it expired, so I bought ingredients for this beer today. I figured we pretty much know the ingredients now, to within few ounces of hops. I got 4 ounces each of Mittelfruh and Saaz, figuring that this probably should get me through a 6 gallon batch. Also picked up some Magnum, just in case I need to cheat on the bittering if the %AA comes in lower than expected or if we end up voting for larger quantities of aroma hops than I anticipated. Let's not throw me any curveballs, OK?

I'm trying to anticipate what we need to vote on. Temperature and duration of hopstand? Starter size, pitching temp, ramp up to final temp? Maybe water chem? What else? Trying to anticipate when we'll have a recipe so I can look for a day to take off from work to brew some beer.

5. VikeMan

Society

After hops, I'm planning a buyer's remorse poll (which could lead to one or more other polls) and a couple of water profile polls. As with previous recipes, I'm not planning a temp/time for hopstand poll.

6. VikeMan

Society

I'm calling this one for Saaz and Hallertau a few minutes early, so I can get the next poll (#37) up. (In the highly unlikely event that would change, I'll cancel and redo #37.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.