Averagely Perfect Saison - Poll #37 - Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand Hop Qtys

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Mar 9, 2015.

?

Choose ONE Quantity for EACH of the two Hops in the Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand addition

Poll closed Mar 11, 2015.
  1. Saaz - 0.25 ounces

12.1%
  2. Saaz - 0.5 ounces

33.3%
  3. Saaz - 0.75 ounces

6.1%
  4. Saaz - 1 ounce

36.4%
  5. Saaz - 1.25 ounces

9.1%
  6. Hallertau - 0.25 ounces

3.0%
  7. Hallertau - 0.5 ounces

27.3%
  8. Hallertau - 0.75 ounces

6.1%
  9. Hallertau - 1 ounces

48.5%
  10. Hallertau - 1.25 ounces

12.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #36 determined that the Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand hop addition will be Saaz and Hallertau. This poll (#37) will determine the qtys of each. If you want an amount that's not listed for a particular hop, write it in, and don't click a checkbox for that particular hop. Write-ins need to be clear... if I can't understand what you're saying, or if it's not clear that it's a write-in, it will get ignored. I will be computing weighted averages based on the voting, and then rounding to the nearest quarter of an ounce for each hop. I recommend voting in the context of the already determined fact that this addition is one of two flavor/aroma additions.

For those looking ahead, the next poll will determine the specific hop varieties (Saaz and/or Hallertau) for the 60 minute bittering charge.

This poll will be open for 47 hours.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, see these threads for the first two beers we did (and the bazillion ensuing polls and the final recipes...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/averagely-perfect-american-stout-poll-1-abv.131209/ )

Issues with methodology? Take 'em to beermail please.

The Averagely Perfect Saison so far...

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
    ABV: 5.7%
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.002
    Mash Recommendation: Single Infusion @ 150F, 60 Minutes, no Mashout
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%
    90 Minute Boil
    IBUs: 24

Grain Bill:
    Belgian Pilsner Malt (68%)
    Flaked Wheat (17%)
    Vienna malt (15%)

Yeasts:
    WLP565/Wyeast 3724 at beginning of fermentation
    WLP644, 0.5 Liter Starter Recommended, added to primary when beer/wort reaches gravity of 1.033

Hops:
    60 Minutes - Saaz and/or Hallertau (TBD)
    10 Minutes - 0.75 ounces Saaz , 0.75 ounces Hallertau
    Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand - Saaz and Hallertau (Qtys TBD, this poll)

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (484) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Show me a write-in for zero Saaz ... if that isn't allowed, then the smallest number allowed below 0.25.

3. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Why no love for Saaz?

I went for an ounce of each, although I just realized that I have never used the two together before, curious to see what happens here.

4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

1 oz of each.

5. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

So, 3.5 oz of aroma hops in this Saison?

Not what I expected, but alrighty.

6. Theheroguy

Theheroguy Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Maryland

.25 saaz .5 hallertau

7. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Yeah, but they are "mild" hops compared to something like Centennial or Chinook. I don't think 3-4 oz of these hops are going to overwhelm the yeast.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  8. jbakajust1

I think that the 10 minute is being considered as flavor and not aroma with an extended hop-stand.

9. JohnSnowNW

Curious, what length and temp would render a 10 min addition solely flavor? I have not really come across any information in this regard.

10. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (246) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

11. JohnSnowNW

12. jbakajust1

I think part of the issue involved is that we have been trained to assume that each addition is somehow only for a specific purpose (ie, bitterness, flavor, aroma). You can taste bittering additions (depending on the variety of hops and amounts of course), maybe not as much as a 20 minute addition, but it still contributes flavor. And a 20 minute addition can still give some aroma to a beer, much less than a 5 minute addition, but still aroma. A large aroma addition in the whirlpool still contributes flavor, not as much maybe as a 15 minute addition, but still flavor (this flavor tends to be low and fades faster in my experience, but it is there). When using a whirlpool I tend to think of the 10-30 minute additions as more flavor than aroma due to the extended contact with the hot wort, WP as more aroma than flavor, but they each contribute both in differing degrees.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  13. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Both averages round to 0.75 ounces each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.