Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Avery barrel aged series #14

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by SFACRKnight, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Any info on this yet? Seemed like they were releasing one a month at least, now I can't find any info on the next one.

2. mazerock

The rep said no releases till next year.. Possibly the middle of Jan.

3. MarkyMOD

Beer Trader

Not part of their barrel aged series, but an Avery worker told me they were coming out with a high alcohol gingerbread beer I wanna say? Was something like that, wish I could remember better but she told me when I was ordering another beer and it was a while back. I just remember it sounding to me like the winter version of Rumpkin and me being super excited, and then drunk. Said it'd be in mid January-early February if I remember right.

4. arminjewell

Beer Trader

Thought Uncle Jacob supposed to be yearly now, anyone hear anything about that?

5. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Uncle Jacob is suppose to be yearly. It was April last year I think.

6. tacosandbeer

Beer Trader

Yup on April last year.

7. arminjewell

Beer Trader

Thanks guys, couldn't remember the release date from last year, thought for some reason it was early/January or February.

8. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Not a problem. It reminded me to put one in the fridge

tacosandbeer likes this.
  9. rekrappy

As for #14, that probably won't happen until at least February. We're very happy with the unnamed project right now, but I want to monitor it for a couple more months... it will be our third grape/beer hybrid, but this is the first time we've tried adding our house pedio strain to a hybrid. So it has a nice lactic sourness and a big ol' portion of Cabernet Franc grapes.

As for Uncle Jacob's, the release will most likely be pushed back a bit... last year we were able to start UJ by September or October, but this year we didn't have any tanks available until this month.

While it certainly seemed like we'd be putting out something every month for a while there, that's just the way the timing happened to work out. As soon as we feel that a barrel-aged beer has reached its peak, we try to get it out of the barrels as soon as possible. Mainly so that I can drink it. Having a few beers come out in a short span of time means that right now a lot of the projects in our cellar are pretty young...

Andy Parker
    Avery Brewing Company
    Barrel Herder

10. alexipa

Beer Trader

Thanks for the update Andy, and...
    I like your style.

11. imperialbeerdude

Two questions.
    Were the projects with absinthe barrels a success?
    Is what the guy said about a gingerbread beer true?

12. rekrappy

>Were the projects with absinthe barrels a success?

Unfortunately, we never actually got the absinthe barrels... our previous Only Sales Dude thought that we had, but the acquisition was still in the works at the time. And then it never quite worked out. I had a little experiment going where I used absinthe-type spices on a barrel of Czar, but that didn't work out very well. Unless you like the idea of Bourbon Wormwood Imperial Stout Toothpaste.

>Is what the guy said about a gingerbread beer true?[/quote]

Not quite. I think he was talking about an experimental batch of a big (Demon strength... >15%abv) Imperial Porter of sorts, aged in rum barrels and spiced with coconut later in its cycle. But that just went into barrels last month, so it's very new and may or may not work out. And yes, we know that stylistically you can't really call a >15% abv beer a "porter," so this is certainly not to a style. We were just imagining the flavor components that we wanted in the beer and that's a solid descriptor for the beer we eventually want to drink...

Though I would enjoy a gingerbread beer... maybe that could work as a fun experiment in the future...

13. coreymcafee

Beer Trader

Not quite. I think he was talking about an experimental batch of a big (Demon strength... >15%abv) Imperial Porter of sorts, aged in rum barrels and spiced with coconut later in its cycle. But that just went into barrels last month, so it's very new and may or may not work out. And yes, we know that stylistically you can't really call a >15% abv beer a "porter," so this is certainly not to a style. We were just imagining the flavor components that we wanted in the beer and that's a solid descriptor for the beer we eventually want to drink...

Though I would enjoy a gingerbread beer... maybe that could work as a fun experiment in the future...[/quote]
    I always enjoy reading your "Notes From the Barrel Cellar" updates. So cool to get a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes and what we have to look forward to in the future. Thanks for the insight!

Domingo likes this.
  14. gklover1

Beer Trader

THANK GOD. My wallet is soaked with tears.

b0rderman and coreymcafee like this.
  15. MileHighShooter

You said it! Its been a helluva couple weeks with releases and events. Hit the wallet pretty hard

seanmonaghan13 and coreymcafee like this.
  16. imperialbeerdude

Though I would enjoy a gingerbread beer... maybe that could work as a fun experiment in the future...[/quote]
    Imperial Porter, rum and coconut. I think that's why you guys remain my favorite brewery.

17. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

ISO: bourbon wormwood imerial stout toothpaste FT: BCBS deodorant

18. MarkyMOD

Beer Trader

Yes that's exactly it! Knew it started with either a c or g.... Sorry for the misinformation all, but in the end it did bring about the correct info ;) and from an official type who couldn't forget it no matter how drunk he got (well hopefully no Avery projects have been lost that way). Even more excited now that I heard what it is again and can remember at least half the conversation. And hey, maybe if you do make a gingerbread beer you can grow some balls and get this one over 20% so I only need one sip before handing the keys over. "Avery Brewing, supporting designated drivers since whenever they first brewed beers that came with a kick in pants and a hammer fist to the back of the neck (AKA you might be able to get up, if you're conscious)."

19. kodymupa

Beer Trader

Any word on this beer recently....now that we are into April....

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe