Azacca Hops Experience?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Yalc, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (105) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

I am ready to brew my next IPA and I have 8 oz of Azacca. I am considering a single hop but just want to throw it out there to see if anyone has any combo suggestions. Are you experienced?

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I brewed with Azacca once (2016). It was an IPA where I used combination of Azacca and Mosaic hops for all of the flavor and aroma (including dry hopping) additions. I thought that IPA turned out nicely. While I enjoyed drinking that batch I have not re-brewed that beer again.

If you really want to learn what Azacca 'brings to the party' brew a beer that solely features Azacca hops. Or drink Founders Azacca IPA:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/162643/

Cheers!

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,453) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I brewed a hop bursted, dry hopped SMaSH with Golden Promise, Azacca, and Wyeast 1968. ~4.5% ABV. ~6.5 ounces of hops total. Lots of fresh citrus and other fruity notes. I haven't used it in combo with another hop.

Yalc likes this.
  4. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (424) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

I did a single hop with Azacca and used a half pound in the recipe. It was citrusy, but fairly mild. I personally wouldn't do it alone again, but pair it with something. Anything, really. CTZ, Mosaic, Simcoe, the AU hops, etc.

jbakajust1 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  5. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (242) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I went through a pound of azacca last year.
    It's a nice hop that belongs in a pale, hoppy wheat or IPA. Citrusy but also some pine in the batch I got. I'd buy it again for the right price. Not really a New England fruity hop imho.

6. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,257) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I also brewed a single hop Azacca pale ale last year. Lots of tropical fruit and a Juicy Fruit gum flavor. Less potent than Citra, Galaxy, and Mosaic. I thought about pairing with them for something with more "punch," but I really enjoyed the pale ale.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I used some a while back. I was pretty underwhelmed. Not that it is a "bad" hop, but it is certainly a subtle one.

8. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (711) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Only thing I remember about Azaaca is that it was rough...but then again they were freebies that might have been abused :grimacing:. FWIW I just dry hopped a spunded lager with 1 oz freebie Nelson Sauvin that I can't wait to try in ~ X weeks. BTW anyone know how to spund a lager and do a Drest at the same time? (How's that for a thread hijack?) :flushed:

9. VikeMan

Just increase the temp while spunding. Or do you mean "How can I increase the temp of a corny?" If so, do you use ferm wraps for temp control? They work just as well with cornys as with more traditional fermenters.

10. Yalc

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

11. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (711) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Yes, I'm just trying to figure out how high the psi will have to go to match the 62*F D rest... think I have a weak/leaky (no pun intended) poppit as the gauge starts to drift lower over 35 psi. :confused:

12. VikeMan

You should be able to use force carbonation tables to get the appropriate pressure to maintain the vols of CO2 at any given temp. If they don't go high enough, you could use the carbonation calculator in BrewCipher or some other calculator I imagine.

13. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (127) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

I'm transferring a ~4% GP based session IPA with oat malt and 100% Azacca to the serving keg tonight. The hydrometer sample tasted really good, and that was before dry hopping, so I had only used 5 oz in a 5 gallon batch. I'm excited to see how it tastes cold and carbonated after 5 oz of dry hops. It was really fruity smelling, but I did ferment with Conan.

I'll probably tap the keg this weekend. I'll report back if I remember.

Yalc, Prep8611 and invertalon like this.
  14. anteater

anteater Champion (807) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

I've used Azacca in four different NEIPA's, here is my experience:

100% Azacca: It was ok, a bit earthier than I'd like for the style but nice strawberry, pineapple and citrus notes.

Azacca + Citra: Great pairing, more of a subtle variation on Citra if you go 1:1

Azacca + Galaxy: Also a great pairing but I found the earthiness of Azacca combined with the dankness of Galaxy to be just a bit overwhelming

Azacca + Simcoe + Columbus + Motueka: A truly fantastic hop combo (that I copied from the original Great Notion Ripe recipe). Doesn't showcase Azacca, but offers a great balance of citrus, pine and fruit. Would work great in a west coast IPA as well.

15. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (118) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I did a single hop azacca recently with kolsch yeast and it was super bright fruit basket
    Dryhopped the other half with Denali and didn’t like it as much
    +1 to Motueka in anything.
    I would hit the bright angle
    Maybe azacca Citra motueka

16. Yalc

I’ve been reading good things about Motueka and I like Citra so this is a front runner , Thanks!

17. Yalc

Update..... The single hopped Azacca IPA with 25% wheat (cause that's the way I like them) turned out very good. I enjoyed my single hopped Cashmere a bit more. This seems like a more classic hop with hints of pine as well as citrus but with neither overwhelming the other. I will definitely kill the keg.....tasty!!

18. Prep8611

On sale now at yakima valley hops. I won't be buying as I think it's terribad.

19. Yalc

I don’t agree that it’s terribad as you say but it is not special enough for me to want to buy again. I will use the few ounces I have left to mix with my Amarillo and Cashmere.

20. InkastareBrewingCompany

InkastareBrewingCompany Initiate (31) Mar 13, 2018 Wisconsin

I did a NEIPA with 4oz Azacca in the whirlpool, 4 oz dry hopping for 5 days and then finished with 2 oz each of El doraDo and citra. Really happy with how it turned out.

MarkGP likes this.
  21. Prep8611

That's all I meant. I'm not paying 14 dollars a pound for something that isn't as good as cascade that I can get for 10.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  22. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

It may not be my favorite hop, but I paid $11 for a pound of Azacca leaf from HopsDirect and think it was worth the price.

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I'm now most of the way through the keg of my single hop Azacca session NE IPA. Excellent beer. Getting lots of pineapple, citrus, peach, and some pine. 10 oz of hops total in a 5 gallon batch. Not totally sure where the Conan ends and the Azacca begins, though. This hop seems plenty flavorful, even in a 4.4% beer.

23. Prep8611

That's a fair price but I always consider in shipping when actually figuring out actual cost per pound.

24. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Agreed. Definitely only economical because I purchase several pounds at a time.

Prep8611 likes this.
  25. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,248) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

I brewed with Azacca and M Bavaria recently in a Toasted Wheat Ale. The toasted wheat dominates, the hops don't. Both of those hops are on the mild side. If you want Azacca to be expressed in the finished beer use more than normal.

26. TitoBrew

TitoBrew Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2017 Massachusetts

One of my favorite APAs right now is Upper Pass - First Drop. They use Azacca, Citra, Centennial, and Mosaic. Do you know what the ratios should be with all 4? I suppose i can try 1:1:1:1

27. anteater

anteater Champion (807) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

Never had the beer so I can't say but that sounds like a great hop combo in equal parts to me.

28. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (135) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I'm brewing an IPA this weekend. Bittering with Columbus. Then flameout, whirlpool, etc w/ Citra, Azacca, and Mosaic 1:1:1.

29. VikeMan

There's really no standard "should be" for hop variety ratios. But if you want to know how Upper Pass makes the particular beer you're talking about, I suggest asking them. In my experience, most brewers are willing to give hints, if not outright recipes.

Prep8611 likes this.
  30. Prep8611

Azacca is the red headed step child of citrusy hops.

31. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,378) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I have used it, and am not fan.

Prep8611 likes this.
  32. VikeMan

For anyone who may have made the mistake of buying Azacca in bulk before finding out you didn't like it, you could always send it my way. (No disposal fee.) I really enjoyed the Golden Promise/Azacca SMaSH beer I made.

33. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ditto here. I brewed virtually the same thing, except added a little oat malt and fermented with Conan. Really awesome beer, and I wouldn't mind having more Azacca lying around.

34. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,378) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I used samples fromHomebrewcon, all gone. There is something about Azacca I am not fond of, not sure what, but that is just me.

The Founders Azacca IPA was not a favorite. I liked the Mosaic Promise, and not everyone likes Mosaic.

35. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,573) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Just found out a beer I am really digging on now is made with Azacca and Citra, the beer is Citrus Grandis by Celis out of Austin. They are passing it off as an East Coast IPA, why I don't know, it reeks of being fermented with a Belgian strain. It is more of a Belgian Pale with American hops. Great drinking beer and sings in about 5%. So if you are looking for different styles, it plays well with a yeast that puts off spicy, fruity esters

36. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Jeff, I sometimes enjoy drinking Founders Mosaic Promise.

I discussed in a NBS thread:

“I have had Founders Mosaic Promise a few times and that beer has been variable. In one batch I mostly picked up fruity flavors but in another batch that beer was super dank.”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-676.558109/page-2#post-5861758

As homebrewers we have limited control over the ‘quality’ of the hops we brew with.

Cheers!

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  37. Yalc

Well, the Azacca keg that started this thread just kicked. It was a very nice IPA and I would use it again. Having brewed two single hopped IPA, one with Cashmere and one with Azacca, which were both really good, the next logical step is to brew one combining them. Should be twice as good as either, right? :wink:

38. Adrianhdz01

Adrianhdz01 Initiate (15) Jun 10, 2018 North Carolina

So in this years AHA rally I tasted a beer made with just azacca and it was so awesome I bought a whole pound of it, after that I bought founders azacca ipa just to see if I remembered the taste of the hop correctly and yes it is AWESOME, personally I think it's one of the best hops for an IPA out there, azacca, Chinook and citra, are my top 3 hops right now

Yalc likes this.
  39. MrOH

MrOH Champion (810) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

3 Stars 808 is supposedly Amarillo, Azzaca, and Simcoe lupulin powder, and tastes like straight pineapple to me.