Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

B n C beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kingofhop, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofhop

kingofhop May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

We all agree that Russian River, Founders, Sierra Nevada, Boulevard etc make world class beers. No doubt. But what do you guys like that seem to consistently rate lower than an "A" ? I'm lookin' at Bridgeport, Dundee, Saranac etc. Not necessarily world class, but they make some extremely solid examples of beer styles, usually at pretty fair prices. Beers that you know are not top of the line, but will gladly drink them and offer to your buddies. Everyday beers. Or do you even drink stuff like that at all?
  2. RichD

RichD Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

With exception of a few of their beers (Boston lager, cream stout, octoberfest and IPL) I'd say that Samuel Adams embodies a quality, but not show stopping Class A beer. And I love Sam Adams brews.

EDIT: the beers I listed are class A beers in my opinion.
  3. raffels

raffels Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

4. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Nov 17, 2012 California

I refuse to drink anything that is rated below a 98 on here
    amp138 likes this.
  5. sketchpunx

sketchpunx Sep 4, 2008 New York

Is sierra not an everyday beer? hmmm. how shitty would you like me to get here.....
    Kidding aside, I think most of what saranac brews is less than ideal and generally wouldn't recommend it to buddies.
    I'll recommend Brooklyn lager or something German like Paulaner or Spaten to somebody that usually drinks BMC but outside of that I'm not sure I understand the point.

Why would a recommend something of inferior quality like saranac when the price point is so similar to so many other better beers?
  6. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Nov 17, 2012 California

You wouldn't. Unless your buddies are tickers and need to try something new. In which case I doubt they'd care about your recommendation and just pick up whatever shitty Icelandic beer they haven't tried yet.

I recommend almost all SN to my buddies because its cheap and good. Why recommend something worse?
  7. kingofhop

kingofhop May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

yeah, I wuz curious about "vmc". Thought it was sumpin' I'd never heard about. Glad you cleared that up.
  8. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Stuff like Narragansett, Otter Creek, Shipyard, and Long Trail usually. They are local (New England area) and I dont mind trying new beers from them.
  9. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Whalez need ticks too.
  10. iKasey

iKasey Sep 2, 2012 Pennsylvania

Weyerbacher does that for me. Except having Insanity I may have to upgrade them
  11. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Nov 18, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A lot of international beers. They seem to rate fairly low in comparison with their domestic counterparts.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Bridgeport IPA is a regular of mine and for a reason. I LOVE it.
  13. Northlax3

Northlax3 Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

What we get over here in America are not the best of what foreign breweries have to offer.

Much like the best breweries over here dont ship internationally, Germany and the like will get Budweiser, Miller, and Coors offerings, not Bear Republic, Great Divide, RR, etc.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

That's very unfair, comparing what we get here to BMC. Maybe it depends on where you are located, but in NNJ I come across a lot of excellent German and Belgian beer- in very good condition, too. Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Rodenbach, Schlenkerla, etc- all are certainly A-list breweries/beers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!