Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

B. United portfolio coming to Texas through Favorite Brands

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Lutter, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Welp. Way past the edit date on my post, so now I have to bump the thread to show what I picked up at Specs. For the blind: That's 3 OG Black Metal, 2 Funk Metal, Ballast V@S, 6 pk of Black Thunder and Pale Dog. 4 pk of Temptress and a Gumballhead I gave my dad several months ago that he never drank :confused: [​IMG]

mrkmrk likes this.
  2. Clonies720

Drinking a Hops & Grain Pale Dog right now. Fantastic beer! Slightly hazy. Nice billowing white head with sticky lacing. Mostly floral and earthy nose, but I get a twinge of honey. Somewhere between a low-high to medium-low body. Drinks like a session beer. I could throw back a few of these easily on a hot summer day. If I go back to Specs, I may have to pickup another 6 pk.

On a side note, if any BA's are interested in having a beer tasting at my parent's house in Rosenberg in early-mid April, BM me and I'll create a thread for it. You wouldn't even have to bring beer because all my fridges are stocked full and I need to clear out 50-60% of my stock.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  3. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Oct 8, 2008 Texas

So how about that B United portfolio? It neds to hurry the fuck up!

4. East1stgrocery

East1stgrocery May 9, 2012 Texas

late April or Early May? -

5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I think we can all agree on that.

6. BgThang

BgThang Dec 23, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

where is the actual tweet at? I see where favorite took over duff but not anything about b.united. thanks

7. BgThang

Beer Trader

Pegging this as rumor until some proof is actually posted. I have googled and search the twittersphere and cannot find info as what you speak of.

8. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Jun 28, 2010 Texas

I would gladly have our writing always referred to as "crap" in exchange for being able to purchase authentic lambic and gueuze in Texas.

- Jeff

gtermi, kunstdrache, BK1017 and 4 others like this.
  9. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

BgThang likes this.
  10. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I realize now that crap is not a good word to use for a healthy discussion. If I recall the post claimed that there were no traditional lambics available in Texas. Can you please explain to us what is "nontraditional" about Lindemans and Timmermans gueuze. I fully realize that they are not the best that they style offers, but they are readily available and hits the notes that you could want.

Cheers!

BgThang likes this.
  11. madnismo

madnismo Jan 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

if anybody is looking for JW Lees I have most of them, hit me up! I also have Ola dub 18yr and old engine oil engineers reserve.

12. BgThang

Beer Trader

13. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

They were acquired/bought before his death.

BgThang likes this.
  14. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Jun 28, 2010 Texas

Earlier in this thread, elwhite did a good job pointing out some of non-traditional aspects. Rather than focusing too much on the negatives, I'd just point out that I greatly enjoy the complexity of 100% spontaneously fermented beer that's allowed to achieve total dryness over a very long period of time, that's hand blended from individual oak casks, and finally allowed to condition naturally without back sweetening or pasteurization. For my palate, this traditional method creates the greatest complexity of aroma and flavor that I've experienced in the beer world. I really want to be able to buy beer made in this fashion in my home market.

- Jeff

15. Clonies720

On that note, I need some assistance selecting some beers ala geuze and delicious Belgian goodies. Do I get a 2006 Doesjel? or a Cantillon Cuvee Saint Gilloise? Or do I grab some Pannepot and Stille Nacht? A BM from a veteran Geuze/Belgian drinker would be much appreciated.

16. Lutter

Whoa there, bud. Start off with this first... really easy to trade for and uses a blend of lambic base wort from Girardin, Cantillon, and Boon (and Lindeman's, naysayers above. ;) )

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25923/70745

17. Clonies720

I've had gueuze and/or (fruit) lambic from Tilquin, Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen, Timmermans and Lindemans. I'll soon be trying Boon and De Cam for the first time though. So it's not a familiarity issue. I'm familiar with the style and the producers, but am just having trouble picking something.

Inb4 "buy them all". I'm a beer enthusiast/advocate with a full-time college student budget. I usually find a way to get most of what I want sooner or later though.

18. Heretic42

Heretic42 Aug 31, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

For gueuze, I prefer Drie Fonteinen over Cantillon. If you're after non-lambic Belgians, then most (all? ;)) things Struise are awesome: Pannepot, Pannepeut, Black Albert, Black Damnation, Earthmonk, etc.

19. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Jun 29, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I can only comment on half of those beers. Gilloise(freshish) and Pannepot are simply amazing beers. Go with your style preference. When trying De Cam I hope you can get a hold of some of their Oude Kriek. Omg.

20. Clonies720

Thanks Matt. I got a pretty sweet haul.

In case there are anymore naysayers about this B United thing happening, I tweeted them and they responded in the affirmative that it's going down. :cool:
    https://twitter.com/Clonies720

21. icetrauma

icetrauma Sep 7, 2004 Texas

What are the main players in this companys portfolio?

22. omnigrits

omnigrits Jun 1, 2006 Texas

Here's their beer list

icetrauma likes this.
  23. Clonies720

[​IMG]

Here's my birthday beer. If you look closely, you'll see I didn't even get the cage undone before the cork exploded out of the bottle and beer shot out. Carbonation on the initial pour was INSANE, but it's calmed down.

24. DanzBorin

Golden blend is the jam! Happy birthday!

25. Clonies720

Thanks man! I got a DR12 I'm saving for later tonight/tomorrow! I wish Brew Brothers wasn't closed for now or else I'd totally go there since I'm in Galveston.

26. DanzBorin

Sure somebody has some craft beer.

27. Clonies720

Not looking to drink anything beyond what I brought, but I'll be heading by Specs I think to see if there are any random gems tucked away. Hoping for the best, but expecting a wasteland of year old Endeavor or something. hehe

28. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler May 17, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Nice! Happy Birthday Brad!

29. Lutter

I wish these guys had 3F. Sigh.

30. icetrauma

Off topic, who has 3F and maybe I over looked it on the list but who has Cantillon?

31. Lutter

The answer is Shelton Brothers to both. They hate both Bluebonnets and The Alamo.

32. Clonies720

So they hate freedom?

Didn't they keep an entire shipment of some rare beer to themselves a few years ago until people threw a giant b*tchfit, and they released a few cases?

gtermi likes this.
  33. icetrauma

I mean this with the utmost respect........BASTARDS! Well, maybe not.

34. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Sep 22, 2006 Texas

Yup. I think they're still holding Washington hostage. People over there spit anytime you mention the "Shelton Bros."

35. beeragent

beeragent Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Subscriber

Anyone seen or heard an update on this? I can't wait for some Schlenkerla rauchbier!!!

BgThang likes this.
  36. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler May 17, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

37. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Apr 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Several Hitachino skus have been approved by CM... so, waiting to receive the owls...

38. E-DUBB

E-DUBB Nov 21, 2012 Texas

oh how i wish Brouwerij de Molen was on that list.

Azzy likes this.
  39. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Oct 7, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Hitachino confirmed to be at Goro & Gun tomorrow (at least for dinner, possibly for lunch) and Mongoose vs Cobra tomorrow after around 5 pm.

mattisloco and JJFoodie like this.
  40. Beernerds

Beernerds Dec 7, 2011 Texas

And Batanga will have Hitachino White at some point today, too. Confirmed by our waitress last night, one of the managers/owners, and their Twitter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe