1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

BA Silhouette Russian Imperial Stout Pre-Sales

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by LiftBridge, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiftBridge

LiftBridge Initiate (88) Apr 28, 2008 Minnesota
    Industry

About the Beer:

10.5% ABV 80 IBU

Brewed in the style of a Russian Imperial Stout and aged for up to 2 years in Bourbon barrels. Black as a moonless night, this complex beer’s notes of coffee, roasted malt, rich toffee and black licorice meld with an intense roasted character to provide a complex, rich and full body. It’ll warm the senses on a cold winter night, or anytime you decide to let a little darkness in. Pairs well with cave aged blue cheese, dark chocolate and cherry chocolate cake.

Pre-Order your 750mL bottle of award winning BA Silhouette / Buy tickets for the event here: http://bit.ly/2Bb35re

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,781) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Why would I want to pre-order a beer I've never heard of from a brewery I've never heard of that is on offer by an anonymous person?

3. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (277) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Seriously? They're pretty well known. And it's not some random person. Probably the owner or one of the owners. Even says under his avatar "Industry". His avatar and the name are hints as well.

4. drtth

Yeah, seriously.

beergoot likes this.
  5. DISKORD

You've been on BA since 2007. And you post on here all the time. Do you ever look at "Latest haul" thread?

6. drtth

Noap. The only haul I care about is my own. Those are beers that are available to me here in SE PA and there is so much to choose from....

Also for me to buy that beer assumes:
    a) they could ship it here to PA and
    b) if they could ship it here I'd be willing to publicly break state law by having alcohol in my possession on which PA state taxes were not paid.

Edit: But I see it has been moved out of the national Beer Talk form to the mid-west forum.

7. DISKORD

Well, you know what they say about someone who assumes? I'll let others chime in. @LiftBridge

8. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (81) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

Why are you on the midwest forum making these arguments? This beer isn't being marketed to you.

Boldbrew and drtth like this.
  9. drtth

Well, since I already know both assumptions are erroneous....

10. dbhammel

This is the weirdest trolling attempt I've seen in a long time. I would suggest the mods delete it and move on. Liftbrige BA RIS is an awesome beer and this thread doesn't need to be hijacked.

Umdrunner, tgates, LittleGus and 4 others like this.
  11. nograz

nograz Disciple (384) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Guessing this was posted on one of the general forums and has since been moved to the Midwest. Not sure if posting it there was a mistake or not, it really doesn't make sense for it to be there since the brewery is very local to the Twin Cities and they don't allow proxies for this release.

This beer though is probably one of the best kept secrets in the Twin Cities, at least on a nation level. It doesn't really get any national attention... which is good! More for us!

12. drtth

Because the thread started out in the national forum Beer Talk, which is where I first responded. It got moved.

13. dbhammel

Gotcha. Moving on.

14. nograz

Trader

I wish they would have some sort of notification that the thread was moved. It had me confused at first (like other threads that have been moved), but when seeing the only people posting were not from the midwest, it was more clear that it had started else where and been moved.

Victory_Sabre1973 and drtth like this.
  15. nograz

Trader

I am still impressed with the bottle count this year. When I checked earlier this morning, there were still about 3,400 bottles left!

16. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,831) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Agree with amount left, however 2600 were actually sold which is a 1000 more than last year, this may or may not hit distro after release as right now 280 or so cases left.

17. nograz

Trader

I guess it is possible they hold on to them and do what they have been doing with Commander and release verticle packages in the future.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Vidblain like this.
  18. gatornation

Trader

They could do that and would have to continue larger batches each year to do so. Also think they will sell lots more at the release if folks are able to buy more,

SipIt likes this.
  19. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (174) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Yeah, if they change their mind and let you buy 4 more at the event, I'd be down. This is definitely a local favorite of mine.

Vidblain likes this.
  20. gatornation

Trader

One of my favorites also. Last 3 years i think they had 200 or so extra bottles at the release and they were highly sought after with a ticket.

#20 gatornation, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  21. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (99) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

Your loss. This truely one of the Barrel Aged greats in our country.

22. drtth

Understood, but maybe they'll become successful enough that someday their beers will make it to PA. But since it's not available or on offer here in PA I'll have to console myself with some of the other Barrel Aged greats to be found here in this area.

23. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (109) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

24. Odyssey300

Odyssey300 Initiate (120) Dec 11, 2013 Minnesota

Anyone know how they tripled production? Obviously more more barrels but I find the specific details interesting in terms of type of barrels, time in the barrels, blending, location. Couldn’t have been that easy to increase that amount. Sure hope this doesn’t mess with one of the best BA stouts you can buy.

JMN44, Ish1, Vidblain and 2 others like this.
  25. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (35) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

I believe they invested in more barrels 2 years ago. As for blending, they did release this picture:

26. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (225) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Benj68, Vidblain and eggsurplus like this.
  27. JakeJohnson

JakeJohnson Initiate (163) Jan 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

I think both BA Silhouette and Commander have gotten better every year. Lift Bridge has gotten more experienced with blending and obviously benefit from having more barrels to choose from. Hopefully this isn’t the year that breaks that streak, but I trust they can manage the big increase in barrels.

28. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (174) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Maybe they have, but for my palate they've been consistently great since the first release (what 4 or five years ago now)? Due to the limited amount I haven't exactly tried many years side by side though.

The only BA stouts around here that have really matched their quality, IMO, has been 2015 BA Darkness and some stuff from CW (their anniversary beers and Black Gold). I've never spent time chasing the TG big hitters, so am not including them.

29. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (380) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota

Pretty much this. Agree with your entire take. We've also been blessed with some top-tier BA stouts from outside the region but available locally in the past couple years. But, if we are only looking at offerings from MN and bordering states that are not ridiculously limited, I think you nailed it.

I miss the good ol' days when Fitger's BA Edmund Fitzgerald was bottled, as it would have been right in this mix. They had a bad bottling with infection issues one year, and then eventually just stopped altogether, unfortunately. Some of the older batches of Town Hall Czar Jack would also be in the mix, but I can't keep the vintages straight anymore, and they had a couple good-but-not great batches in recent years.

30. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,000) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I'd agree! @nograz brought a crowler of 2013 to a share recently and it was pretty excellent. Lots of barrel. I'd love to try some more of that.

31. DogfishRyan

DogfishRyan Initiate (151) Mar 2, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

No way! Is the cheese really slipping off the cracker? Or am I right that crowlers haven't been around for 4+ years?

Vidblain likes this.
  32. Vidblain

Society Trader

Terminology. :slight_smile: Right you are - I meant "mini-growler"!

33. SudsSavant

Trader

I'm still suspect on this, I thought Town Hall didn't start with the mini growlers for their barrel aged beers until 2015 and even then they were the mason jar style.

34. nograz

Trader

It was from the keg of Czar Jack '13 that they put on in March of 2016 and released 10 of their new style growlettes.

35. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (583) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Liar

Vidblain and nograz like this.
  36. nograz

Trader

That I brought in 9 bums to help me buy up all 10!

Vidblain likes this.
  37. SudsSavant

Trader

Bumping this thread back up again...with the news stories of Lift Bridge of building a new place and expanding, unless the law changes won't this be the last year Lift Bridge will be able to releases via ticket sales out of the taproom? In the Star Tribune article, it mentions that they produced 19,000 barrels last year while the state limit is 20,000 for growler sales (and by extension, bottles).

Does this mean in a year or two, BA Silhouette will be distribution only and we'll all have to race out to our local liquor stores in the middle of the day?

38. Vidblain

Society Trader

Hm! Interesting. Given the tepid response to the tremendous volume increase of BA Silhouette this year - racing and middle of the day, optional.

Personally, I'd rather buy it off a shelf than drive out to Stillwater. If the location changes... that becomes an interesting dilemma. I do like the ticketed bottle release though - I like it a LOT more than the fumble-fuckery at Insight, etc.

39. nograz

Trader

We just need a bill to pass that changes it, like the one this past year that was tabled.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Vidblain like this.
  40. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,628) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

If I thought I'd have time to make it to Stillwater, during the time it's able to be picked up, I'd gladly pre order one.

Honestly, general distro would be great for me.

macgroveguy, Vidblain and JMN44 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.