Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

BA Three Floyds - Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Feb 12, 2013.

1. nben60

nben60 May 30, 2011 Indiana

The ones sold in May and July were from the same shipment, not 2 different shipments. They have received 2 total shipments of teku glasses from Germany, and that is what a FFF employee said.

2. gpawned

gpawned Jun 5, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So if May and July were the same. And July and Oct were the same. Then May and Oct were the same. Damn, this shit is confusing.

3. nben60

nben60 May 30, 2011 Indiana

Yea it is. The first release was staggered, then some were saved for Internet orders. People were complaining about them breaking during shipping so they stopped the Internet orders, and sold the leftovers in the brewpub. These glasses come from Germany and take several months to arrive. I believe they are selling most of this shipment now, and saving some for dark lord day, but I am not 100% sure about that. I do know that they are selling really fast and probably won't last long. When I was sitting at the bar for 1 beer, and I saw like 50 cases of them get sold. The guy sitting next to me at the bar bought 6 cases, that's over $300 in glassware.

4. JPortillo

JPortillo Mar 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I can help you out on this one but im looking for this whale they call "boltcutter" I hear its the best of the best.

5. dvelcich

dvelcich Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

I went there today and was able to score a BA Behemoth and a Cherry Behemoth.

Thanks Malty_Matty!

6. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Jul 3, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

You wanna trade that wick cherry one? :)

7. dvelcich

Sorry bud, that lady is getting drunk with the regular BA Behemoth at some point.

jaminjohnson likes this.
  8. redblacks75

redblacks75 Oct 29, 2010 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I believe that one was $15.

9. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

What I'd really like to see FFF do is offer branded full-size snifters at DLD similar to Darkness Day, etc. I love the tekus, however I've always really wanted a full-size FFF branded snifter.

jegross2 likes this.
  10. dvelcich

It's not cool if it's what everyone else is doing, like tasting or blending their barrel aged beers. It's way cooler to just throw some beer in a barrel for a few months, pour it into a bottle, charge way too much, and not care what the beer actually tastes like. Heads up though Three Floyds, that's already what Dark Horse does with their sours.

11. modern

modern May 31, 2012 Ohio

If someone notices the DLD page get updated, might not hurt to call it out here as well?

12. Kayn169

Kayn169 Jan 9, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There will be plenty of threads dedicated to DLD. I don't think it is necessary to post updates in every FFF related thread.

13. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

This thread got a bit off the tracks, as every FFF-related thread seems wont to do around here. If we can get back to the original intent of keeping this as a place to post BA FFF releases and weekly Tuesday updates, that would be most welcome. Cheers!

mbockstruck30 and Docrock like this.
  14. modern

modern May 31, 2012 Ohio

That's a good point, I was just thinking it would go hand in hand with DLD because of the inevitable BA releases. I will keep quiet now.

15. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow Dec 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If you want this to remain on track, the thread title should read 'Three Floyds - BA Releases/Updates'. As it is now, the latter part reads as 'releases and updates' which most might include open discussion about anything else non-BA related. Just my $.02

16. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

you say that like a slight technicality about thread titles will keep a thread from going off-topic :)

anyway, curious to see what kind of bizarre barrel variants FFF is keen to pull out in the weeks ahead...

17. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Okay tickers, here you go:

Girl and the Goat has available for sale onsite "Cabrito". It's a BA 3 Floyds creation with chef Stephanie Izard.

Cabrito is Templeton Rye barrel aged Robert the Bruce with Cherries. $50. 81 hand numbered bottles.

gpawned likes this.
  18. Mjmoser

Mjmoser May 6, 2012 Illinois

Wasn't any variation where cherries were used changed to "wick Cherries"? Guess Steph didn't get the update....

19. stxSS07

stxSS07 Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

And it's only $85!!

20. cmsteele62

cmsteele62 Nov 24, 2010 Illinois

I almost bought it when I was there this weekend, but couldn't justify the $50 without someone else having tried it first.

21. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

cabra (when i had it on tap) was delicious. but i dunno if i'd spend 50 bucks on a bottle of that.

chanokokoro likes this.
  22. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Feb 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

[quote="dvelcich, post: 1014155, member: 192948"Heads up though Three Floyds, that's already what Dark Horse does with their sours.[/quote]

Solventy sours and 'spontaneously' wild ales are DH's turf. Step off, Nick Floyd!

burica2020 and dvelcich like this.
  23. Anonymous1

Beer Trader

I liked Cabra also, but like other people have said, it's not a good as Bramble and twice as expensive. Cabrito's a bit thin bodied, but that's what you'd expect from a Scottish Ale. The flavors are impressive though, there's just the right balance of oak, rye whiskey, and tart Cherries. Also, there were strong vanilla notes from the barrel, where none were to be found in Cabra.

I'm glad I tried it and think it's better than Cabra, but I'm not sure if it's worth $50. Probably a solid 4.3 overall.

24. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Apr 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Am I to assume it's for onsite consumption only?

25. dvelcich

Also, is it in their normal BA beer bottles, or did they do something special for it?

26. Anonymous1

Beer Trader

It's in their normal BA 750ml beer bottles. Also, I'm not sure, but I believe it's for onsite consumption only.

27. Drucifer

Drucifer Apr 16, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I believe Chicago law states bars/restaurants can only sell bottles for consumption only unless they have a specific liquor license stating otherwise, which is for those bars that have liquor stores attached (Marias). You can probably take home the empty bottle as long as they wash it out.

28. dvelcich

My wife and I are going to be at Girl and the Goat around 5. If anyone wants to split the cost of a bottle of Cabrito, message me and we can exchange contact info.

MarkIntihar and Gonzoillini like this.
  29. dvelcich

Well, I did it, and with no help from anyone. :mad::)

It was awesome though! Great flavor. The barrel didn't overwhelm the way some of their ba beers do, and the vanilla flavor was amazing with just a hint of tartness from the cherries. Definitely in my top three ba FFF beers besides the DLs. Still not worth the money (probably wouldn't have minded $35), but what is nowadays?

MarkIntihar and Anonymous1 like this.
  30. Anonymous1

Beer Trader

I know right? A very awesome brew thats "not worth it", lol. I was shocked buy how much Vanilla came through the tart cherries. Definitley among the best of 3 Floyd's non-DL BA beers.

31. auto_exec

auto_exec May 6, 2012 Illinois

Is it better than Murda'd Out (BA Baller)? It was also expensive (same price), but really good IMO.

32. Anonymous1

Beer Trader

I thought Murda'd Out was better, but both are very good. It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Also, I don't think that $50 is all that crazy considering it's at a upscale restaurant for onsite consumption.

33. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

^This

BA Robert the Bruce should not be compared with Bramble, Murda'd Out, or any other BA stout, besides maybe enjoyment level at said price. So let's please end that.

34. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Jul 10, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Cabra is drinking incredibly smooth right now. Cabrito has been in bottles since before Christmas, so I'm sure its had some time to mellow out like cabra did. Not sure why the late release. Sounds good.

35. dvelcich

I wondered the same thing. My thought was that they tried it a couple times and waited for it to be what they wanted. I was worried going into it that it might be a solvent-y mess, and I'd have to argue to get my money back because I'm not paying restaurant prices for a shitty beer, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

36. Anonymous1

Beer Trader

Agreed. I can safely say that Cabra and Cabrito are the best BA Scottish Ales available hands down. So good.

37. MUMike

MUMike Feb 3, 2012 Missouri

I miss the Dark Lord wick sandy vajayjays thread.

38. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Feb 20, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Had a Brian Boru this wknd. Great beer!

39. Mjmoser

Mjmoser May 6, 2012 Illinois

Have you had Bourbon Big Sound? I really enjoyed that...

Samjuan12 likes this.
  40. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

So are they still releasing weird one-offs on Tuesdays or is that hold while preparing for DLD? I was thinking of taking a trip next Tuesday but it's a bit of a drive and I'd like to be able to pick up something special, or at least some ZD, and I'm not sure if either will be available.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe