Bachelor Party in Louisville

Discussion in 'South' started by jegross2, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hey folks, I have a questions for the locals. My friend wants me to plan the bourbon trail for him for his upcoming bachelor party that is scheduled for Labor Day weekend (May 24-27) and I am looking for helpful tips, etc.

Right now, we are staying at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott in Louisville a half mile away from Against the Grain. Some things I am interested in finding out:

1. Great beer stores to check out in the area
    2. Are there any local rules/restrictions that may affect the trip (e.g., no liquor sales/tours on Sunday)
    3. A suggested bourbon trail order based on the location of our hotel (i.e., what is the best clumping based on your past experiences? How many distilleries can you reasonably do per day)?
    4. We're driving from Chicago to Louisville -- what are some great breweries to hit up on Monday on the drive back? Was planning on Upland and maybe FFF.
    5. What are some great craft beer bars near the hotel?
    6. Dinning suggestions. The groom-to-be is a vegan, so there would have to be delicious vegan options available at any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

2. erichall

erichall Nov 13, 2008 Kentucky

This has been mentioned in a couple of threads recently but i will help you out best i can.

1. Louisville Beer Store, Keg Liquors in Clarksville, IN, Sergios (more of a bar but you can get bottles to go).
    2. Alcohol sales are limited on Sunday. You cannot purchase alcohol in any form until 1pm. Many counties do not allow sunday sales at all. Check with the distillery is your best bet.
    3. None of the major distilleries are that close to your hotel. All are a 20-75 min drive. I would do no more than 4 in a day. I would head down to Beam in Clermont, then head over to Heaven Hill or Willet in bardstown, then to 4 roses, and then up to buffalo trace. Also remember that these are tours, they have sampling rooms but nothing encouraging you to stay and drink. Woodford and Makers mark are the outliers of the trail based on where you are staying

5. Craft beer near the hotel. Against the Grain (they have some vegan food offerings too), Sergios, Holy Grale, Flanagans, Buckhead/Rocky's across the river usually have some good beers that you cant get in KY, Cumberland Brews and the taphouse next to it. Places to skip: BBC (except the taproom), Gordon Biersch, champions (they claim to have 40 taps but most is bud/miller).

6. Cant help you here. I would imagine many of the nicer places downtown offer some form of Vegan.

Other suggestions. I believe Churchill Downs will have live racing during that time. Fridays post time starts a bit later and they sometimes have bands in the paddock. It tends to be a lively crowd. Or you could do Millionaires Row.

I know you are visiting on a holiday weekend. Labor Day tends to be a get away weekend. Lots of people head down to the lakes throughout the state. At least in my circle of friends, this tends to be the case.

jegross2 likes this.
  3. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Nov 7, 2011 Kentucky

1.Make sure to check out Keg Liquors in sothern Indiana. its right before you get into KY and only a mile or 2 off the highway. Make sure to check out. I think New Albanian brewpub is the best brewery in the area and they have good food too.
    2. Kentucky's alcohol laws are pretty solid. you cant buy bee between 4-6am and bars are open til 4am (not the good ones though.)
    3. I have never done the bourbon trail but http://www.kybourbontrail.com/
    4. Definitely go to 3F. It's on the way from Chicago to Louisville. Great food and of course, great beer. Upland is kind of off the path and only Ok.
    5/6. There are plenty of good eats downtown. Against the grain is worth going to and very close, so is New Albanian. I think the best Beer bar in town is the Holy Grale, not much on the food menu however. Some would say that Sergio's World beer is a must stop for beer lovers, Personally I think its a bit pricey and the atmosphere is meh. Four Pegs and Hammerheads are all good restaurants and have a great bar/taplist.

4. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Aug 1, 2012 New York

Strippers and bud light

5. jegross2

Beer Trader

Thanks everyone!! Very helpful advice!

6. jegross2

Beer Trader

Probably the most important thing to find is the vegan food options. It's his event, and I want to make sure he's the one most enjoying each of the meals

7. jegross2

Beer Trader

Also, I meant Memorial Day weekend, not labor day lol.

8. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

jegross2 likes this.
  9. fritts211

fritts211 Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Awesome, what time are we meeting up? Or should I just do a trade where I drop off bottles to your doorman again? :)

Ramsi's I think is vegan friendly, as well as Heart and Soy. Make sure you hit up Holy Grale, just a short drive. Avoid Sergio's IMO. Good bottle and tap selection for the area, but knowing your preferences, you probably won't be blown away I don't think, and probably not overly conducive to a bachelor party from what I observed. The great thing about ATG is that they rotate their beers constantly, and never do the same recipe twice. Beers are normally average to solid.

10. jegross2

Beer Trader

You still in Chicago?

11. fritts211

fritts211 Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Nope, moved to Louisville in December. I'm reverse stalking you. Or something.

12. johnking82

johnking82 Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

ATG also has good vegan options as well.

13. antzman

antzman Feb 14, 2005 Indiana

One of my favorite sources for restaurant information is Louisville Hotbytes. Great resource for reviews, as well as a forum for discussion. You might try your vegan questions there, as you are sure to get plenty of responses as to what the locals prefer. http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/

14. weonfire

weonfire Sep 4, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I live in DT louisville. 2 blocks from the marriot.
    2. dont go to strip clubs in KY. girls cant take their clothes off. if you are lucky, u may get a quick peak. but bars are open till 4 AM.
    3. like post above had said - near lexington you have 4 roses, buffalo trace, woodford reserve and wild turkey. all doable if you start at 9AM. tours end around 3. heading down 65 from louisville is Jim beam, makers mark, heaven hill and everything else in bardstown would be a second day trip. Bardstown is the Bourbon capital.
    5. craft beer bars: Sergios, Holy Grale and Noch Bar are our best. River City draft house gets good local. Louisville beer store is an excellent bottle shop.
    6. food. Marriot is walking distance to Market street and some of Louisville's finest restaurants: Harvest, Decca, Rye, and Toast. Proof on Main is dynamite. Great beer and great food: Hammerheads, Game, Eiderdown.
    Breweries in Louisville: 'Against the Grain' is fantastic, 'Apocalypse' is brand new, 'New Albanian' is right across the river in Indiana and Cumberland. In Lexington- Country Boy is excellent and West 6th is coming along.
    Got any more questions let me know.

jegross2 likes this.
  15. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta May 14, 2009 Kentucky

16. damngoode

damngoode Sep 22, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

4. I'd skip Upland in Indy and go for Flat12 or SunKing. Usually better offerings.
    5. Also, note that Sergios is hard to find when drunk and cash only.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe