Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Backcountry Brewing's Breakfast Stout in Fort Collins?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by denver10, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Anyone know if bombers of this are available anywhere in Fort Collins? I grabbed a bottle while in Denver last week and thought it was fantastic. Now I want more without having to travel.

2. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado

Should be soon. Getting things shipped out this week is like kissing your sister....I mean not me kissing your sister...if you have a sister...er...nevermind

alexipa and denver10 like this.
  3. biking4beer

biking4beer Oct 5, 2006 Colorado

Working on an answer for this.

denver10 likes this.
  4. biking4beer

Black Bottle got a keg, but no bottles as of yet. I'll let you know when I hear of any hitting the shelf up there.

coreymcafee, SalukiAlum and denver10 like this.
  5. denver10

Thanks for the update and please let me know when bottles make it up here. For now, I guess another stop at Mr. B's is in order next time I am down in Denver to stock up. I'll keep an eye out on taplister to see when it hits the BB taps too.

6. denver10

On tap at Black Bottle for anyone in the area besides me interested.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  7. denver10

Any chance this one ever gets put into six packs?

Love that this one is only 4.4% abv while tasting better than so many beers much bigger than it. Hit up Black Bottle for some on tap last week and then grabbed a couple more bottles too when I was down in Denver over the weekend. I don't think I can get enough of it.

8. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Are they in bombers? Haven't seen them in FoCo.

9. denver10

Yep. They are available in bombers, just not in Fort Collins. I have been grabbing them at Mr. B's down in Denver for $7.49 a bomber, plus the cost of gas.

(I did see bombers of their Imperial Saison and Black Ale at 287 Discount Liquors. Not sure about the freshness of either though.)

SalukiAlum likes this.
  10. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Any chance of the India Red in bombers? I liked that one a lot on draft.

11. FarmerTed

FarmerTed May 31, 2011 Colorado

I'd love to see this in 6'ers, too. I had a bomber yesterday, and it is really good shit. It smells so good, and is so easy to drink (I love an easy drinker). I wish I could have poured myself a third one.

12. Mebuzzard

Of the 5 bombers, this one sells the best (at our store). Solid beer, and the abv is perfect. If they do 6packs, I can see this one being seasonal.

13. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I love the lower ABV on it. I like coffee beers, but I can't think of (m)any I'd want more than one of. This is the exception.

hopfacebrew and alexipa like this.
  14. biking4beer

Hey guys. Got a little info here for you.

Breakfast Stout: Glad you're enjoying so much. We've thrown around the idea of either 4 packs or 6 packs. If that happens, it will be a bit down the road, but you can expect to see another round of bombers later in the winter.

India Red Ale: That was a beer we kinda threw together with some left over ingredients and to fill a gap in our seasonal line-up at the brewery. We enjoyed it and got good feed back on it, so that may see bombers at some point in the future.

India Black Ale: I think that beer is drinking pretty well right now. It's obviously not as hoppy as it was a month ago, but the hops are definitely still prominent. I personally enjoy this beer throughout it's life, so I'll still be enjoying it in another month or two.

Imperial Saison: Yeah, that one getting a little up there in age, but I do think it holds up pretty well. Haven't had any recently, so I can't say personally how it's tasting at this moment. I know some kegs have been tapped in Denver and we've gotten good reception.

So, if any of you decide to try a bottle of the Imperial Saison or IBA based on this post and are disappointed, just let me know, and we'll make it right.

I'm off to finish brewing and probably see if I can find some Imperial Saison to taste. Thanks for the support!
    Cheers,
    Alan

hopfacebrew, Mcal, flowersjg and 12 others like this.
  15. coreymcafee

coreymcafee May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

^^Good Guy brewer.

16. FarmerTed

I saw this in 4-packs yesterday. Buy it up!

denver10 likes this.
  17. denver10

Yeah, I can not wait to buy a few 4 packs of that. Really, really, really, really hoping Wilburs puts this one on their next beer order. They get all their 6 packs but none of their bombers, so not sure how they will deal with 4 packs. I went in today to ask but the beer buyer was not in unfortunately.

18. denver10

Finally found 4 packs of this one up here in Fort Collins (287 Liquors has some). Enjoying my first couple of the pack tonight.....l love this beer, I can't get over that its only 4.4% abv.

19. Mebuzzard

This beer is catching on. Their 4pk series should be a hoot. Can't wait until BerlinerWeiss comes out!

hopfacebrew likes this.
  20. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Seems like a few stores and restaurants also got some more BCB Double IPA last week. Stapleton *might* still have some.

21. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Really difficult knowing what, when and where Backcountry beer is and will be. I really enjoy their beers, but usually see the regulars on shelves at Wilbur's. Is the DIPA in a bomber? I've gotten a few bombers of the breakfast stout at Mr. B's, but I live in FoCo.

22. Mebuzzard

dIPA is in a bomber and was released about 1 1/2 months ago. There were talks of another batch in the works...not sure if that's hit bottles yet, though.

23. denver10

I totally agree.

I don't believe Fort Collins ever got their IIPA. 287 Liquors currently has 4 packs of the Breakfast Stout on the shelves for $7.49.

24. jerichobear

jerichobear Dec 6, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This thread has me very interested to try the stout. Also, I probably won't drive by Frisco again without stopping into the brewpub.

25. biking4beer

The short answer to this: even though we've been around for a while (17 years in September!), we're a new brewery when it comes to production and packaging.

We're still trying to figure a lot of things out; especially which beers work best for us in bottle format. For example, the Maibock is really popular up here on draft, but doesn't seem to do as well in bottles. We also added a lot of fermentation space last year, but we still have limited "finishing" space. The DIPA did see bombers, but only 13 cases total went outside the brewer. We don't yield a lot of beer on that brew, and trust me, we could sell every drop of that beer in the brewpub in a heartbeat. The thing is, we just kinda like to share the wealth a little bit, so that is why a few bombers and kegs make it outside the brewery. It's a tough balance to feed a super busy and extremely seasonal pub and package all the beer that people want.

We don't have a set in stone seasonal schedule yet, but I imagine we'll get to that point soon. Honestly, we, like many brewers, kinda like to brew what ever strikes our fancy at the moment. I think that works for our Colorado beer culture and the fact that so many people like to drink at the source. The plan is to keep on growing, to make more beer, (who likes the oxford comma?) and make it more widely available. Who knows, maybe there will even be a shift in what the year-round beers are.

The one thing that is set in stone right now: 4-packs. Breakfast Stout is out now. The first round of Imperial Saison was bottled yesterday and should hit the shelves in the next couple of weeks. Berliner Weisse will be brewed and bottled within the next 6 weeks. These 4-packs are seeing a much larger packaged volume than the bombers, so they'll be more widely available. I'm lobbying for the DIPA to be the next 4-pack, but other possible 4-packs include, Rye Brown, Rye Red IPA, and Dubbel.

If you want to see some of these beers in your local stores, my suggestion is to ask your stores to carry them because I don't have much control on where they go once they're out the door.

Thanks for all the support guys. Glad you're liking the beer. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Alan Simons
    Head Brewer
    Backcountry Brewery

SFACRKnight, dauss, rob2654 and 7 others like this.
  26. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

How about bombers of the India Red Ale? That stuff was really good on draft.

biking4beer likes this.
  27. biking4beer

Yeah, sorry. I should have clarified. The Rye Red IPA is the India Red Ale. It already had rye in it, but we bumped it a little more on the latest batch, which is in the ferementer and just about ready for some more dry hopping.

So to answer your question: maybe. :)

28. ASak10

ASak10 Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

Was lucky enough to get one of the bombers and I have no doubt it would sell out no matter what format it was in or where it sold!

biking4beer and Domingo like this.
  29. jerichobear

Beer Trader

Great news.

I recently had a 4 pack of the Breakfast Stout. Love it. It's a really excellent session brew. Went back for more, grabbed the last one on the shelf.

30. Btw985

Btw985 Jul 2, 2013 Colorado

I bought some of this at Bubble's in Castle Rock, one of the best price points I've ever seen @ $5.99 for a 4pk. I'd love to see more breweries do this. And a Berliner Weisse coming soon? What's the package and pricing going to be like on that?

31. FarmerTed

It makes you wonder why so many of the coffee beers out there are 10-fricking-plus percent ABV.

32. biking4beer

That might have been a sale price. I'm pretty sure we're Beer of The Month at Bubble right now, so those prices may continue. Normally the 4-pack should be $7.49-7.99. The Berliner Weisse will be priced in the same range. It's fermenting along as we speak.

denver10, SFACRKnight and Mebuzzard like this.
  33. jerichobear

Beer Trader

Picked up a 4 pack of Berliner Weisse and I think it's gonna be a great summer!

SalukiAlum likes this.
  34. FarmerTed

I'm gonna have to get some of that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe