Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Bad Overrated?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by theHoff77, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theHoff77

theHoff77 Aug 1, 2012 Minnesota

I picked up some Overrated canned 4/25 from Premier Liquor in Osseo on Friday. I'm not sure what the deal is but it tasted nothing like an IPA. In fact, it was down right bad. It smelled and tasted skunky, so I dumped the rest of it. I opened a second can and it had the same issues. I had not had Overrated yet, but had Bandwagon which was awesome. I can't imagine this is correct considering I've never had a bad beer from Surly. Has anyone else had something wrong Overrated, and should I contact Surly about it?

2. MCImes

MCImes Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

Ive had around six 4 packs so far and none have been anything but delicious.

Open the third can with a trusted beer geek to confirm something funky. If it is in fact funky Id let someone know. Omar is on twitter and on here, or just bring it back to the brewery?

Hard to believe considering Ive never had or heard of any issues with 'off' surly. Maybe the store kept it on a heater? j/k.

3. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Were you drinking them outside in the direct sunlight?

Chaz likes this.
  4. mattafett

mattafett Mar 9, 2009 Iowa

The 4 pk I got from MCImes has been excellent!

5. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I've gone through 3-4 four packs and had no issues. Bummer about the one you bought... Have you tried more than one? Maybe you just got a bad one?

6. Lifeofbrian

Lifeofbrian Nov 20, 2010 Minnesota

Have the Mark the owner of Premier taste it with you he has a trusted palate.

7. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I really hope this was just random.
    I picked up a 4 pk from Premier last week as well, dated 4/25.
    It's for a pending trade, but I'll have to crack one open tomorrow - just in case.
    Problem is, I haven't had Overrated yet - so I have nothing to compare to.

Does anyone know of a store on the North, or NW side of town that sells Surly singles?
    I'd like to pick up a single Overrated to compare to.
    The only store I know of is Four Firkins, and that's too far for me.

8. Mnmaverick

Mnmaverick Mar 23, 2013 Minnesota

Princeton's in maple grove might have surly singles. Call 'em and ask!

9. GFG

GFG Oct 24, 2012 North Dakota

The Overrated I got was good. I did however, have a terrible 4 pack of Furious this past week. It was a little older (mid-March), but has been refrigerated since I bought it around that time. It tasted like there was NO hops at all and the malt tasted stale or something. I love Furious and that's the first problem I've ever had with Surly, but it was awful. I've had Furious much older than that taste just fine, so I'm not quite sure what it was.

10. opwog

opwog Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I am kind of surprised at how many people seem to like this beer. I had it on cask at Firkin Fest and shrugged it off as being nothing special at all. There were aromatics in the cask which smelled great, but then when drinking, it all went meh. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 4-Pak to try it again and all I had this time was the meh, with none of the aromatics of the cask version (which I hadn't expected, but I still expected something interesting that was simply not there). Given it was the only beer that I had brought to a friend's cook out, I drank one and a half and left the other two.

When I originally saw the label approval, I was excited for this release and loved the joke. I even sent that label out to some CA brewers that I know and said that I would send some, because I loved the idea of the name/beer. If this is supposed to be on par with a Pliny, Duet, Sculpin, Racer 5, Union Jack, Wipeout, Blind Pig, Green Flash WCIPA, Just Outstanding, and on and on; then this is a complete fail of an attempt. And if anybody questions that, then I suggest setting up a trade ASAP to do a side by side of Overrated against any of these. Obviously, after having it, I decided that it wasn't really worth the shipping even for the joke aspect of the name.

If you want a local IPA that stands shoulder to shoulder style wise with West Coast IPA's, it would be Steel Toe's Size 7. IMHO, that is probably the best IPA being brewed in MN right now.

Gamblor14, derekpk, KWMiles and 2 others like this.
  11. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

...and stoked to drink Size 11 again this week.

SortaAmbivalent and Mnmaverick like this.
  12. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

That is like, your opinion man…I love Overreated. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be on par with, but I love it for what it is, not what I hoped/wanted/"would like" it to be.

arniepnminne, iHeartMNBeer and Icarus like this.
  13. opwog

I don't think that I was too far off to have an expectation. It is called Overrated West Coast IPA. Even on their own site they wrote of this beer; "...you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA Bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale."

Sorry if you don't see it, but there are expectations about a beer that markets itself as a West Coast IPA. Otherwise they would have (or should have) just called it an IPA. If somebody markets a Russian Imperial Stout and it tastes like a brown ale, I am sorry, but I am going to be let down even if it comes off as a half way decent brown ale.

Yes, all my opinion, but I think that anybody intimately familiar with enough West Coast IPAs will recognize that Overrated is not anything like a West Coast IPA.

gatornation likes this.
  14. opwog

Also, while my original post may not have been clear as to why I was saying all of this, my point was that for the OP, it may not be a case of having received a "bad overrated," but if they had an expectation of one type of beer and it was something else, it probably comes off tasting more flawed than it actually is. It is probably a 4 pack of Overrated that many people would love to have, but for anybody expecting something like Lagunitas Sucks; Overrated is going to be a let down.

15. GFG

You've compared Overrated to some IIPA's. Completely different styles.

Either way, it's still a damn good version of a west coast IPA. Is it the best? Hell no. But you're trying to compare it to the best west coast IPA's ever made. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Overrated is better than many West Coast IPA's made in California.

arniepnminne and maximum12 like this.
  16. igor

igor Nov 7, 2009 Minnesota

I've had no issues with Overrated. All have been tasty.

17. shawnp

shawnp Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'll echo many of the statements above. I've had numerous 4 packs of Over Rated and I've had no issues with it at all. I've found all dates I've purchased to be quite tasty. As far as comparison goes, I'm pretty sure Surly isn't trying to be Pliny, or Sucks or what ever. Drink OR for what it is, a nice refreshing west coaster. Personally, Pliny isn't that great anyway. I've had dozens of bottles and while delicious, not near as great as the general consensus.

GFG likes this.
  18. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

So I'm drinking one right now from Premier Liquors, dated 4/25.
    Nice store by the way - Mark is a real nice guy, and the staff is great too.

I am having absolutely none of the issues that OP had with this beer.
    I've never had it before, and didn't pick up another to compare with - but it tastes pretty good to me.
    Not anything stellar that I would seek out again, but I wouldn't turn one down, if offered.

I'm glad I took one to make sure, and my trader now gets a 3 pk.
    No harm, no foul.

19. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Mn brewed "West Coast" IPA? I've had a lot of IPA brewed on the west coast of the US. They taste a lot like all the other IPA brewed all over this country. Size 7 is great beer, but couldn't we just as easily call it a Michigan style IPA? I've consumed a couple four packs of Overated since it came it. I like it and to me it seems to stand shoulder to shoulder with many of the Western beers it's light heartedly lampooning. At the end of the day, I think the best IPAs brewed in Mn are Sagá and Masala Mamma. Oh, and Ive finally come around on Abrasive. Best DIPA ever. Well, maybe Heady Topper is the best, but I only had that once. Oh, and Pliny, on tap in a 16 oz shaker at the at the Toronado for 3 bucks. That was the best DIPA ever, maybe.

ballenc likes this.
  20. Icarus

Icarus Oct 6, 2012 Minnesota

I love overated, I have had 4 or 5 4 packs and haven't had a bad one yet. In fact I just threw down 2 of them tonight, mmm good!

21. opwog

The only two listed that are considered DIPAs are Pliny at 8% and Sucks at 7.85%. Overrated is 7.3%, so if a few tenths of a percent is throwing you, then feel free to stick to the rest of my list. But more important than my list, would be to hear what actual good West Coast IPA that anybody can name that this does bring to mind. I can think of bad CA made West Coast IPA's, as well and one in particular is the one that I think that this tastes closest to and that is Golden Road's Point the Way IPA. But I don't think that there is anybody on the West Coast or anywhere else that tastes that and thinks that it is very defining of the style, except for the fact that it is an IPA brewed on the West Coast.

So you don't get the wrong idea, I love a lot of Surly's beers. This isn't even a bad beer, just a very uneventful beer. The reason to differentiate your IPA by marketing it as a West Coast IPA should be because it is supposed to bring to mind the characteristics that come from those beers that made them different to begin with, so much so that we now all commonly use the term "West Coast IPA." Overrated just doesn't do that at all.

22. Icarus

Icarus Oct 6, 2012 Minnesota

We get it you don't like Surly Overrated, that's ok though more for me.

ballenc and MCImes like this.
  23. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I can't think of a single IPA brewed on the West Coast that I absolutely like more than Overated. Maybe Sucks, but that hardly seems typical of the "West Coast" style. Lagunitas tends to brew beer a bit on the sweet side and supposedly WC IPA needs to be dry and um, hoppier or something. Racer 5 is great, maybe I like it better than Overated. Stones IPA is damn good. Ruination is as well. Ok, I like Ruination more than Overated, but I like Sagá more than Overated as well. I think the one thing Overated is lacking, I really don't think it's lacking mind you, but if I had to nit pick I'd say perhaps the hops could be a bit more aggressive in the nose department. It smells plenty good, but the best, THE BEST IPAs really floor you with their hop aroma. Overated doesn't floor me, but neither does Racer 5, or Blind Pig, or Green Flash WCIPA. Like I said, I feel like Overated holds its own in its weight class. Just one dorks opinion.

dasmusik and GFG like this.
  24. GeezLynn

GeezLynn May 10, 2009 Colorado

Curious to know what do you consider to be defining characteristics of a West Coast IPA? I say that because your list seems more like a list of excellent IPAs brewed in CA rather than a group of highly similar ones. I've always understood the East Coast/West Coast IPA distinction to be a matter of hop to malt ratio, with WC the hoppier, drier (and more bitter before the shift to heavy late additions became popular) of the two and EC showing more balance.

Overrated may or may not be as good as some of those beers, but I'd agree with the previous poster that it is waaay more of "West Coast style IPA" than Sucks. Like most Lagunitas beers, Sucks is pretty sweet (too much so for me) and arguably the only reason anyone would call it a WC IPA is because of where it is brewed. If my memory is correct, Union Jack and Racer 5 are also somewhat sweeter than with more malt presence than Overrated, which seemed pretty dry and with plenty of bittering hops.

Regardless, with all the new hop varieties and better access for non-WC brewers, along withthe outbreak of hopheadism everywhere, the East Coast/West Coast designations will be pretty meaningless I would think.

25. opwog

You are thinking about this too much in a quantitative way, rather than a qualitative way. I purposefully chose a set of dissimilar examples because that exemplifies why we now have the term West Coast IPA.

Let's step away from beer for a moment and let's instead look at pizza. Pizza has always been pizza. I grew up around New Haven and I never knew that the pizza that I grew up with was so significantly better than any place else in the country, until I moved. The first night in CA, my gf and I ordered pizza from the closest place and each had about three bites of what was the worst tasting (to us) crap pizza that we had ever had and we threw out the rest. Then I started to notice that some places were marketing themselves as "East Coast pizzerias." Most were better than that first nights crap, but most were also very boring. I can count on one hand all of the places from SF to San Diego, that stand up to the real deal on the East Coast. Pepe's on Wooster or Johns' on Bleeker or Lombardi's and on and on. While real East Coast pizzerias have some common characteristics, they are still all significantly different. Yet collectively the uniqueness and quality are what define East Coast pizza. Such is the case of West Coast IPAs. They are beers that have defined themselves in both quality and uniqueness. And again, I have already said that I feel that a great local brewer; Steel Toe, has what could more appropriately be called a West Coast IPA with their Size 7. It isn't because I think that it tastes like a clone of any one particular West Coast brewed beer, but because I think that it contains those unique elements that make it stand out in a crowd. If you put down a bunch of MN brewed IPAs and did a blind taste test, I think that most people would have a hard time picking out Overrated from the crowd. On the other hand, Size 7 in a line up would probably be most easily identified and for all the right reasons. Similarly, Masala Mama has a lot of character and is significantly different from Size 7.

Overrated isn't bad. It isn't flawed in any way. I guess that it is similar to my pizza example. I know that I am a harsher judge of a pizza place that makes an East Coast claim and then just ends up presenting average pizza with no personality and likewise, I judged this beer more harshly because it made a West Coast IPA claim, while just being an average IPA without much defining character.

And I don't believe that the only great and/or unique IPAs come from CA. Heady Topper, Hopsecutioner, Two Hearted, Finest Hour, Jai Alai and numerous others from all over the country come to mind, but CA just happens to have a disproportionate flood of top level beers in this one style and that is the reason why the term exists. What I am saying is that if a brewery is going to use the term to market their beer, that they better be looking at more than just the quantitative elements of trying to match style. Because just like East Coast pizza; there are a multitude of great, yet completely different, West Coast IPAs.

26. GeezLynn

GeezLynn May 10, 2009 Colorado

Suggesting a scientist not think quantitatively is like inviting Tim Tebow to the strip club. ;)

But there are non WC IPAs that are unique and of high quality. There have to be some specific characteristics that qualify as West Coast. I'm no expert on pizza, but to use your analogy, we have different expectations on the type of crust, sauce and toppings when given the description "New York" vs. "Chicago", vs. "California" style pizzas.

I obviously disagree. There are also a multitude of not-so-great, typical CA IPAs falling under the WC IPA category because that is the best descriptor for them.

To my knowledge, no one's ever accused me of being a Surly homer and I'm not trying to defend Overrated so as much as just to say that I think that the term they used is an accurate descriptor. I seriously doubt Surly needs the "West Coast" label to sell anything they put out. Rather, I think the intent was to give the consumer a good idea of what they are buying.

arniepnminne and GFG like this.
  27. GFG

So couldn't abrasive be considered a west coast IIPA since it's right up there with the hoppiest of west coast ones?

28. opwog

Yes, there are many great IPAs made all over the country and I have repeatedly said so and probably referenced as many of them in this thread (and even in the post that you are responding to), than I have mentioned actual West Coast brewed IPAs. And yes, there are some crappy IPA's brewed in CA, just like there are bad beers of any style available in any part of the country. I have never even alluded to the idea that I believed that the hand of God was guiding all West Coast brewers to brew nothing but devine IPAs.

Also, just like their are similar qualities of East Coast pizza's, such is the case with West Coast IPA's. Generally, around 6.5% - 7.5% ABV, I certainly wouldn't agree with Surly's description that they are dry, as a rule. Blind Pig, yeah OK, but most have a very present malt backbone to balance out the hops. Huge aromatics, etc. Realistically, a lot of the positive aspects that you do find present in solid IPA's brewed elsewhere in the country now. I just moved here from CA, but have been back and forth travelling for years and I was always the guy bringing back growlers of Masala Mama, 6 packs of Two Hearted, etc. specifically to show brewers back in CA what great IPAs were available elsewhere. In no way am I saying that CA has exclusive rights to making great IPAs, but because it has been a focus of the region for so long, unless you go the route of the Bruery, everybody else is going to be judged first by the quality and distinction of their IPA. As you can probably imagine that type of pressure and competition produces a disproportionate amount of great beers in this one style. There are certain breweries like Pizza Port, who have produced more award winning IPAs, than many states have produced as a whole in other parts of the country. And guess what, I am a big porter/stout drinker, so how bummed have I been while living out there that this intense focus didn't take place with these styles.

The reason that West Coast IPA isn't an official category and is laughable to think that it should be, is because it is so open to variety. I have spent way too much time at Pizza Ports and have had dozens of unique IPA's that just these guys make, to think that there is any one set of rules for a West Coast IPA. But you think differently. You say that Overrated is accurately described as a West Coast IPA and believe that there has to be a set of rules to define such a beer so, in turn, you have to have some actual West Coast IPA in mind that Overrated reminds you of. So just let me know what it is, because maybe I need to go back and check that beer again in a side by side to see if maybe I am missing something. I am not expecting a clone, but what West Coast brewed IPA that you are thinking of that has a similar mouthfeel, malt/hop balance, aromatics, appearance, etc.

29. opwog

F'n aye, right you are! The first time I had abrasive back when it was called True Grit or something like that, it didn't strike me as such. When I came back a couple of years later and had Abrasive, even though everybody said that it was the same beer, I personally didn't think that it was. Abrasive is much more like Bad Boy, Double Jack, Racer X, Mongo and beers of that ilk.

But the thing is, that I don't think that the West Coast has the same reputation for DIPA's as they do for their borderline ABV single IPAs. There are loads of them as well , but I think that some of the best DIPAs can be found all over the country. Dreadnaught, Double Trouble and a month ago I just had Alchemy Hour from Great Lakes and was blown away at how incredible that was.

30. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Dude, you need an editor...all your posts could be submitted as short stories... ;) ...and as such I doubt many people are reading them...

arniepnminne and jera1350 like this.
  31. Buzzerben

Buzzerben Jul 21, 2007 Minnesota

Moving on...please!

32. GFG

So wait...there's nothing that makes a west coast IPA a west coast IPA?

Why can't Overrated be a West Coast IPA? It falls into the one guideline you set (abv), and you said yourself that there's nothing specific that makes a beer a West Coast IPA as well as saying that you've had dozens if different kinds. What are the specifics for it to be considered a West Coast IPA? (Also seems some Californians disagree with you, as I've seen a couple reviews from them where they said it's a very good beer and fits the west coast style)

Not trying to be a dick, it just seems like you hate it because it's called a west coast IPA and it's not brewed on the west coast. From everything you've said it seems like that's your determining factor in whether a beer is called a west coast ipa or not.

33. GFG

True, DIPA's are definitely more of a national thing.

I'll be honest with you, though, in saying that Overrated kind of reminds me of a more subtle Sculpin. The aroma isn't near as strong in Overrated but still a similar odor (albeit faint) to Sculpin, while the bitterness is about the same and the tropical/fruity flavor is more pronounced in Sculpin. When I had Overrated that's the first thing that came to mind for me, just a more subtle version of Sculpin.

All palates are different, though.

34. opwog

Do all of you guys work for Fox news or something? I have never seen so much picking and choosing of text to take it out of context and spin it around. The same post that you lifeted this from, I also said; "...such is the case with West Coast IPA's. Generally, around 6.5% - 7.5% ABV, I certainly wouldn't agree with Surly's description that they are dry, as a rule. Blind Pig, yeah OK, but most have a very present malt backbone to balance out the hops. Huge aromatics, etc." Besides the ABV window, I would say that big aromatics is probably the second most defining quality. Even on your Sculpin comparison, your qualifier was how much more subtle the aromatics were in Overrated. Also, Ballast Point is coming out here relatively soon, so hopefully you will have the chance to have a fresh Sculpin side by side with an Overrated, because I think that you may also be surprised at how much more of a malt presence there is than you may be remembering.

35. jera1350

jera1350 Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota

Bordering on novels.

Lordsloth, Mnmaverick and herman77 like this.
  36. shawnp

shawnp Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Purple monkey dishwasher!!!!!

arniepnminne, GFG and opwog like this.
  37. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Fox News? Surely you are mistaken.

38. opwog

Don't you mean "Surly you are mistaken"?

runfoodrun likes this.
  39. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Really??you must not read or watch anything political to make that statement

40. GFG

Politics = dead thread

minnesotaryan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe