Bad Trader: tristana123

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by Rustytacos, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Aspirant (248) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

A couple of things I’m going to put out there

1. I should probably drink my bottles more often( shouldn’t be a problem)

2. I really need a side project trader, for science

3. The authorities aren’t really going to do
    anything, I’d rather police this ourselves and chalk it up as a learning experience. Hopefully the more diligent we are as a group the better off we are as a group. As much as I would be nice getting this guy in trouble with the “law” something will probably catch up with him.

2. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (287) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

How would he get so many empty BBT's? It's at what 15+ people he's ripped off already.

3. Phyrekat

Phyrekat Initiate (73) Jan 3, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I would think this would also be a very good reason that having any authorities, particularly federal, involved in this would be a muy malo thing for the community as a whole.

4. ewwiccc

ewwiccc Initiate (160) Jan 12, 2016 California
    Trader

hang out at BBT pickup weekend after thanksgiving for onsite bottles. I'm pretty sure they just hand you the opened bottle as some glassware

5. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (287) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

wouldn't it be suspicious if someone is asking for people's empty bottles ?

Victory_Sabre1973 and rmpic82 like this.
  6. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (64) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

7. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,061) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

dumpster dive the glass container behind sp maybe?

8. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,822) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

9. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (727) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I've been wondering this too, and some people have posted very plausible ideas. I did a simple ebay search and 4 empty SP bottles are for sale. No BBT bottles, but still. This would certainly be one way.

[​IMG]

10. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,822) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Doesn't seem like a very cost effective way to do this ...

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  11. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (58) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

It will be now, but i guess then I probably would have thought it weird but been like whatever if I didn’t want it.

as for authorities I agree it’s not ideal for the community and trading as a whole as shipping alcohol is illegal, but from a SP point of view you have someone selling/trading counterfeit beers of yours, it’s not a good look. If anyone was going to go after them it would have to be them.

unlikelyspiderperson, Yabu and jrnyc like this.
  12. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (211) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If the guy stated a few hours ago that he was going to chime in here to explain "about his roommate," maybe his accounts shouldn't have been banned?... just a suggestion.

#212 William_Navidson, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  13. Affinity

Affinity Initiate (194) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Society Trader

There was a wine documentary, "Sour Grapes", which details the rise and fall of a wine counterfeiter. In the movie the victims were much wealthier and powerful (Bill Koch) and the perpetrator was sent to jail for selling counterfeit wine.

In this case with Raj Reddy it seems he was trading counterfeit beer and selling the real stuff. I imagine even though he hasn't sold the fake beer, he has committed some fraud by setting up barters using counterfeit bottles. There may be some copyright infringement he has committed as well if he rebottled beer in a Side Project bottle and passed them off as original. Most important thing here would be to reach out to Side Project and let them know. They can decide whether they want to take action. At the very least they can take steps to distance themselves from this person or consider legal action.

I would agree with the majority consensus that it would be unwise for a BA user to alert the authorities. We all exist with pseudonyms and coexist in a forum dedicated for beer. Not saying we are all degenerates, but a report to the authorities from @Affinity that my beer trade went south is not going to do anything. Hopefully this goes away and people don't have to assume the worst about everybody.

14. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (727) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Agreed. But what about any of this is reasonable?

15. ewwiccc

ewwiccc Initiate (160) Jan 12, 2016 California
    Trader

Would highly recommend people watch "Sour Grapes".

16. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (83) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

Just got home and inspected my BBT b2 I got from “Bodie Underwood” last November. Sadly, upon quick inspection it totally looks fake. Wax is thin, pull tab is long and scraggly, and tape is exposed. Like others have mentioned, the box was packed just ok and he used a flat rate box. I guess I ignored a lot of these things because I landed a whale. Well lesson learned![​IMG] [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/gallery/iwmqIYK

17. Phyrekat

Trader

That's okay. He's been crickets on the Columbus forum where he posted that original message as well.

18. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (112) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

Maybe. Most likely he was just buying time. Right now the contents of apartment 318 are being hurriedly dumped into a uhaul

m34josh, maximum12, jrnyc and 10 others like this.
  19. Todd

Todd Founder (6,137) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

They're free to email us, and the ban notice suggests that they do so if they feel that a ban while this is being investigated was done in error.

20. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (319) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

While I understand the thought process here.... Let's be honest - it seemed very likely he'd just lie

21. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (211) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Almost definitely, sure. But (1) there's still some, infinitesimal chance of this being some grand misunderstanding, and more importantly (2) any info at this point is probably helpful, even if it's Reddy outing himself by giving more false info.

OakvilleKGB and FBarber like this.
  22. thetallguyy

thetallguyy Initiate (15) Oct 25, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This'll go down in infamy

FBarber likes this.
  23. boarder1999

boarder1999 Initiate (54) Dec 16, 2014 California
    Trader

Regarding those of us considering getting the authorities involved:

Shipping beer over state lines is illegal without a license, but for small time stuff like the occasional trade they would likely look the other way.

Committing fraud across state lines using the USPS is a MAJOR crime: mail fraud, punishable by up to 20 years in prison and large fines.

24. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (319) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

That chance will take effort on him to email BA back like noted above.

Wanna bet a "BBT" it don't happen? :crazy_face:

25. Ericstl6

Ericstl6 Initiate (111) May 26, 2008 Missouri
    Trader

26. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (64) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

[​IMG]

OakvilleKGB, ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  27. MattOC

MattOC Devotee (420) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Excellent movie and a must see IMO. That guys setup and ruse was something else.

28. MattOC

MattOC Devotee (420) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sorry, man. Think you'll drink it? I'd be curious if it's a similar experience as @boarder1999 and @Rustytacos

29. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,686) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

That movie was the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread.

30. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (175) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Not sure if we can call them thousands of dollars though. He’s counterfeiting a 50 dollar beer that others see valued at 400 dollars. Either way, I hope he does get hit with a real crime because you have to be a huge loser and piece of shit to take advantage of people like this.

31. beer4miles

Trader

Upon more digging into my Untappd checkins, I realized that his bonus beer in our trade was a Columbus Brewing Company 32oz growler. So the Rajesh (Raji) Reddy guy from the Instagram pictures are definitely him.

A friend in a high place has done some digging... he found his real name, apartment registration (listing one other person), and a phone number. If a mod wants the info, please PM me.

32. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (306) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

He was trading BBT for other very rare beers and then was auctioning off those other rare beers. It's very likely he was making thousands off this scheme. The overhead of shipping, filling with other beer, getting empties, etc. almost necessitates his return being in the thousands. Otherwise it's not worthwhile.

OakvilleKGB, TylerJ, m34josh and 3 others like this.
  33. Devman171

Devman171 Defender (612) May 16, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

Didn’t I just read an article about fake bottles being valuable?

34. beer4miles

Trader

Has anyone contacted Columbus Brewing Company yet?

35. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (851) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed. Someone call and ask what their thoughts are on an employee sending fake beer from their address.

36. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Initiate (196) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

@tcorder219

37. Phyrekat

Trader

I would assume that they know by now.

38. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,741) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Not a good look for CBC here, either. One might imagine he was using company equipment to rewax bottles..

39. colby600

colby600 Defender (646) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I'd also assume using CBC stout to refill bottles as it was free.